Update On Carl's Eyes

seeh2o

Carl was diagnosed near the end of 2008 as being hypothyroid (started treatment right away) and finally (after 3 vets and one "ophthalmologist" who wasn't) diagnosed with perilimbal lipid keratopathy in both corneas about the same time. There isn't any real treatment for it, but it really started to clear up once he was on the Soloxine. So much so that, after a rapid series of follow-ups in 1009, the ophthalmologist felt he could come in every 2 years for follow up unless there is a change. I can't usually go 24 months, so I go in a bit sooner.

I took him in on Friday. The ophthalmologist couldn't believe the change in his eyes since the last visit. His left eye is almost 100% clear. He has 3 trace deposits that still have blood vessels growing to them and pulling out the deposits. It's even hard to see them with the naked eye. His right eye definitely looks worse than the other one, but compared to last time they think he's almost a miracle dog. The deposits in 2010 made a complete circle around the inside of his cornea, now they are only from 8:00 to 4:00, fainter and have blood vessels growing in to drain the deposits. The most exciting thing to the ophthalmologist was that the hazy ring between the outside edge of his cornea and the lipid deposit ring is 100% clear! :confetti :confetti :confetti

The ophthalmologist asked me what we were doing differently since the last visit. I told him the only thing different is that I started feeding him raw in Feb of last year and about that time my homeopathic vet started him on niacinamide and Thuja for lipid deposits he was developing under his skin. All the lipid deposits under his skin are now gone.

I have to toot his horn just a little more, Carl never once pulled away from the ophthalmologist when he was doing the exam, never even tried to move his head. The ophthalmologist was going on and on about what a great greyhound he is, how personable and confident. The technician asked if she could take him home, or at least rent him for a while! My boy will do anything for cookies, which he received for his command performance. I don't think Carl noticed how unbearably cute the ophthalmologist was...but I did. Wow, what a cutie pie and soooooooooo nice. <sigh>

Carl, who some of you may have read about, is a pretty awful passenger. After the visit he laid down in the car until I got on the freeway. Then, about halfway home he laid down for a while until we got close to our exit. He got LOTS more treats then. We are actually having some break-thoughs with his bad traveling habits!!! Praise, treats, praise, treats and more praise! Positive reinforcement is so satisfying!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

What a wonderful update! I'm a big fan of homeopathic medicine (human and canine) and when they're really cute it's a bonus! :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

That's great -- has the ophthalmologist thought about writing a paper on it since there was such clear improvement?

That would be interesting, but he didn't mention it. I'll try to mention it to my vet.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014