Talk About A Bad Month!

Guest twoskinnydogs

Guest twoskinnydogs

After Emma was diagnosed with OS in December, and I lost her last week I found a lump on Toby's leg. He went to the vet last Friday and they attempted to asperate it to see what kind of cells it contained, they drew back only blood. Today he went back to the vet becasue his leg was a little swollen, well the vet said the tumor has grown about 1/3 of it's size. It is about as big as a baseball now. We were told that it was most likely a hemangiosarcoma. My vet consulted with a oncologist in Greensboro who agreed that is what it sounded like. Problem being is that they will not biopsy the tumor at my vet for a fear of bleeding. He is going to have xrays taken to see if it has spread, if not amputation may be the best option at this point becasue of it's location in the muscle. This news has devistated us, Emma has only been gone 5 days and we are being told that if the tumor ruptures there is nothing they can do........

Has anyone else had a hound with a hemangiosarcoma in a muscle that could offer any advice????

Guest goofydog

While Get Em's was a different type of tumor, hemangiopericytoma, the vet took a chunk of the shoulder muscle it was anchored in. Unfortunately she didn't get clean margins because of the tumor type. If there's any way you can do it try to get Toby into the closest vet school for a consult and definitive treatment.

Fingers and paws crossed for Toby and gentle hugs for you.

How do I go about getting in touch with VT? I would go to OSU but it is a long way from here!

Many of us have traveled many many miles to receive OSU's care. I myself traveled 8 hours and another GT member traveled to OSU from FL many times.

Not sure were you are located ( I'm on my IPhone) but, if it's really out of the question I would suggest a University with an OSU consult.

Did your vet send the aspirated fluid to the lab for a cytology?

Please keep us posted- fingers crossed everything will fall into place for you.

Guest greytkidsmom

I would make an appointment at Virginia Tech immediately!!!! Its only about 2.5 hours from you.

VT does not have an oncology program.

We had Kebo's fibrosarcoma treated at NC State. We were actually referred there by Virginia Tech because they have an oncology program and VT does not. Just have your vet contact them for a referral. I can't say enough good things about how well we were treated and how well Kebo did with his surgery. I will gladly drive the 3 hours to NC State any time.

Edited by greytkidsmom

I am very sorry to read of Toby's diagnosis. This is terrible news and so soon after losing Emma. I hope you can get ahold of NC State and you can do a OSU consult over the phone as well. We will cross our fingers it has not spread.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twoskinnydogs

We have had an interesting week and a half. Toby had a full blood panel run and shows to be a little animic but nothing way out of wack. Last week a part of the tumor in his leg rutured and his leg swelled up really big! The tumor is not believed to be hemangiosarcoma anymore after the blood tests. I have consulted with Dr. Couto and he is still working with us. If something isn't figured out soon I don't know what I am goung to do! The "not knowing" is the hardest part! At this point our vet is thinking this tumor is a hemotoma or something similar.

Toby is acting himself, eating and drinking as usual. He is not showing any signs of pain.

Good thoughts for you and Toby. I hope you are able to get a diagnoses because not knowing is very hard.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

i'm happy to hear they don't think it's hemangiosarcoma!

My first greyhound had what we determined to be hemangiosarcoma. the tumor ruptured and she bled internally until the skin in her chest and stomach and all down her back legs were red/purple ~ Naively we thought she had torn a muscle.

The blood was eventually absorbed by the body, but time was not good for her ~ the tumor growth was unstoppable and heart breaking to watch!!!

one month later she was gone

I'm so glad that you are seeking more information and trying to find out what is going on with your boy -

it is heart wrenching to watch them, wishing and praying you can make them better!

good luck! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest twoskinnydogs

Update! I scheduled an appointment at OSU for the 13th. Toby started to limp on his leg a couple days ago. He went to the Vet yesterday morning to get checked. Our vet did two x-rays because he was concerned that this could have turned into something like OS. Good news is his bones are clear! The limp looks to be associated with the soft tissue around his knee. Another attempt to asperate was done by a different, more experienced vet and still no positive ID on the cells in the tumor. Doc started him on Meloxicam and Tramadol as needed. I also contacted OSU and got out appointment moved up to the 7th. We will know one way or another what this is next week!!

Update! I scheduled an appointment at OSU for the 13th. Toby started to limp on his leg a couple days ago. He went to the Vet yesterday morning to get checked. Our vet did two x-rays because he was concerned that this could have turned into something like OS. Good news is his bones are clear! The limp looks to be associated with the soft tissue around his knee. Another attempt to asperate was done by a different, more experienced vet and still no positive ID on the cells in the tumor. Doc started him on Meloxicam and Tramadol as needed. I also contacted OSU and got out appointment moved up to the 7th. We will know one way or another what this is next week!!

See ya there! I'll be at OSU on Tues too-- you'll recognize me when you see a very scared white and blue brindle houndie with very shaky legs (we sre dealing eith a thyroid tumor).

Do either you or tbhounds want me to find you a home to stay in while you are here? Probably won't be mine with all the news about Joe, but I have a few other people to ask if you want.

If you don't, most people are staying at the Red Roof these days. Last I heard the Varsity Inn added a non-refundable pet charge of about $10 a night. University Inn is nicer but more expensive. For the least expensive, stay about 15 minutes away at the Motel 6 in Hilliard or on the north side of Worthington.

Jane

Do either you or tbhounds want me to find you a home to stay in while you are here? Probably won't be mine with all the news about Joe, but I have a few other people to ask if you want.

If you don't, most people are staying at the Red Roof these days. Last I heard the Varsity Inn added a non-refundable pet charge of about $10 a night. University Inn is nicer but more expensive. For the least expensive, stay about 15 minutes away at the Motel 6 in Hilliard or on the north side of Worthington.

Jane

Thank you Jane so much for the offer especially with everything on your plate. I booked at the Varsity (as I usually do)--I'm too much of an emotional wreck to be a houseguest :weep

Guest twoskinnydogs

Jane

Thank you for the kind offer Jane, I too booked at Varsity Inn.

Tracy I'll look for you, I'll be there with a big fawn brindle with a white face, his leg may or may not be swollen......depends on the day :(