Bugs On Sage

Since yesterday Sage has been scratching and biting at herself like crazy. I examined her several times, I found no evidence of bugs, no flea 'dirt', etc. Thinking she may have dry skin or a reaction of some sort, I gave her some benadryl with no results.

Today we were laying on the bed and I happened to notice a single bug on her stomach. It was not a flea (didn't look like one and it did not 'hop'), and it is NOT a tick. This bug was small, black, more long and skinny and motored right along through her fur. I got it and squashed it, and got her in the tub for a soapy bath. I gave her a good scrub and let the soap sit on her for a while before rinsing.

She's now back to scratching and biting random areas of her body. Again, I cant find any bugs or evidence otherwise.

I've looked online and haven't found any info or pictures on what it could be.

Ideas on what it could be or what I can do for her?

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Try rinsing her again, on the chance that some shampoo was left from her bath. Rinse really well, towel dry, and let her air dry--no heated dryer. (I know, the weather isn't ideal for this. Is there somewhere sunny she could lie while she dries?) Check her over for dry, flaky skin, too; that can cause itching. If you find flaky skin, try adding fish oil to her food.

If the rinse doesn't do it and dry skin doesn't seem to be the problem, I'd recommend a vet visit for a skin scraping, especially if she's scratching in one area more than another (so that the vet will know where to scrape).

The critter you pulled off might be a coincidence--and not the problem at all. My Silver came here in July after being picked up as a stray. A previous skin scraping showed nothing, but she had irritation on her front left leg. After months of antibiotics, sprays, antihistamines, etc., we finally did another skin scraping (the first scraping was done by another vet, and we don't know what they scraped or what they looked for). My vet found what looked like half of a scabies mange mite in a scraping from her foot. Silver got her first treatment Tuesday, and she's itching, scratching, and biting much less. (I'm no longer having to muzzle her 24 hours a day.) We're hoping we finally have a handle on the problem. But, like Sage, Silver's biting/itching wasn't just in one place. Only one leg developed an irritation, but she'd bite at itches all over.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Canine lice? Lice Link

Fleas don't hop when on an animal, they creepy crawl through the fur.

Nope, not lice. Didn't look like that, and it said canine lice tend to be motionless where as this guy was movin!

I'm still not convinced it was a flea. It didn't look anything like one. It was flat against the skin and the legs weren't the same. *puzzled*

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

Have you changed anything in her diet recently..new food, treats etc. Also new things around the house...knew a lab that was very allergic to carpet freshners.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Have you changed anything in her diet recently..new food, treats etc. Also new things around the house...knew a lab that was very allergic to carpet freshners.

No. Not a thing. :(

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Today we were laying on the bed and I happened to notice a single bug on her stomach. It was not a flea (didn't look like one and it did not 'hop'), and it is NOT a tick. This bug was small, black, more long and skinny and motored right along through her fur. I got it and squashed it, and got her in the tub for a soapy bath. I gave her a good scrub and let the soap sit on her for a while before rinsing.

Are you SURE it wasn't a tick?

Ticks are small and black and move pretty darn fast. They are also hard to kill.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Nope. Not a tick. And it was pretty easy to kill with my fingers. And it wasn't roundish in shape.

I've continued to do research and I can not find any bug that resembles what I saw. Maybe it was random and unrelated to the itching..

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Guest PhillyPups

Maybe you are rreally lucky, (even though we are all now creeped out by the thoughts of all these bugs) and it was a pices of sweater fuzz or something which happened to coincide with her urge to scratch (wishful thinking). :o

Edited by PhillyPups

I am still fighting fleas on UPS, i have seen some that move very quickly through the fur and seem to dissapear as fast as they come, sometimes i only see one at a time and can't find more, other days there are 3-4 of them!

I think it must be different life stages, when i catch them i stick/sandwich them in scotch tape and once i do that they look much more flea like!

Whatever it is, i hope you get rid of it soon and we can all stop imagining bugs all creepy crawley everywhere :)

Flea.

Are you using some flea protection?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds exactly like a flea to me, and even if she had just ONE flea, if she's allergic to them, it could make her go nuts.

However, the Benadryl typically would have worked.

Suggest you give her a bath with a lovely oatmeal (dog) shampoo and hope it was just one.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The bath I gave her yesterday was with oatmeal shampoo. :)

Ok, so maybe I'm dealing with a flea/s. :( She is on k9advantix so..? Either way, I used a brush and went through her fur again.. did not find another bug, flea, and still no flea dirt. She is itching a lot less this morning. The other dog in the house has not itched at all. Hopefully we're dealing with a single flea.

:goodluck

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

The bath I gave her yesterday was with oatmeal shampoo. :)

Ok, so maybe I'm dealing with a flea/s. :( She is on k9advantix so..? Either way, I used a brush and went through her fur again.. did not find another bug, flea, and still no flea dirt. She is itching a lot less this morning. The other dog in the house has not itched at all. Hopefully we're dealing with a single flea.

:goodluck

If you figure out a solution let me know :) Only one dog here with them as well! (I figured FedX's herbs and medications made him less tasty....). I've done the usual bathing, laundering, frontline, capstar ect. I think there must just be some eggs being left behind somewhere and they keep hatching....yuck.