The Spanish Greyhound..

Guest Geostar

Guest Geostar

Would it be possible for owners of the Spanish greyhound to join this forum?

This beautiful greyhound, the Galgo, looks just as noble as the English greyhound.

I have a friend, in the UK, who may be interested and does own a spanish greyhound, named Reuben.

Would she be able to join?

-star

Guest Geostar

No, I am not..and I'm sure, she isn't either. Tell me..what would be wrong for her to be in this group? The Galgo IS a greyhound, it just isn't from England..English greyhound. While it is true that Galgos are rescued from Spain, they are a greyhound.. There are greyhounds from Ireland.. the Irish greyhound..as indicated by the 'ridge' on the back of their necks.

No, no, it's fine, quite a few galgos here and we all love them! :colgate

Also, just do a search for "galgo" in the GT search window and you'll find lots of related posts and pics in the archive.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest RNJaney09

Does anyone have a link or website that shows the differences between Enligh greys and Irish greys? I am interested in learning about the "types and styles" of greys out there.... am I correct in assuming most adopted retired racers here in the states are of the English style?

Anyone can join GT. There are people on GT who have no greyhounds. Some who have just cats and some with just smaller creatures than that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Of course people with galgos join. I'm brining one home from Spain in April! There are others on this board with galgos, also. Anybody can join, with or without pets.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

We have a Galgo, Marco. I would see no reason why your friend could not join.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Geostar

Thanks, everyone for all your posts! I will inform my friend..

To snswer another post, about 3/4 of the greyhounds in this country are "English greyhounds". The Irish greyhound is recognized by the line of hair on the back of the neck which goes in the opposite direction..like a Rhodesian Ridgeback. There are some in this country. Both are 'greyhounds'..and are fine dogs. There is another greyhound of a smaller stature: Hungarian greyhound.. Hope that helps..

-Star

Irish greyhound is recognized by the line of hair on the back of the neck which goes in the opposite direction

Very Interesting

I know some of my kids have this hair going the opposite direction. I'll have to check their pedigree.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Geostar

Ah..welcome Galgo girl! Please tell us about yourself..

-star

ps..just go the Introductions and talk a little about yourself..

I know others will want to visit with you..

=star

Welcome to GT, Galgogirl -- so glad you joined! We'd love pictures of your Reuben and to read his story :)

Edited for spelling, as usual.

Edited by Vers

Guest abarnet1

No, I am not..and I'm sure, she isn't either. Tell me..what would be wrong for her to be in this group? The Galgo IS a greyhound, it just isn't from England..English greyhound. While it is true that Galgos are rescued from Spain, they are a greyhound.. There are greyhounds from Ireland.. the Irish greyhound..as indicated by the 'ridge' on the back of their necks.

Is really answered a question that I had. Mine has a line of hair on the back of her neck that kind of looks like a mohawk...This has me thinking she may have some Irish in her...Could this be true???

Welcome Galgogirl. :wave

I've only had one galgo, a little girl from Spain. Niña tolerated playing dress up for me.

029.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Not to cause any trouble, but this statement is not true.

The Galgo Español is a different, old, recognized breed with his own breed standard.

If you translate the Spanish word galgo into english, you get greyhound, but it is greyhound from Spain. Galgo Español

If a Spanish person is talking about the greyhound like most people know on this board, be it English, Irish, American bred, they call it the Galgo Inglés.

And while it is true that many Irish greyhounds end(ed) up in Spain and there will be greyhound blood in many rescues, most of them are mostly Galgo Español

You wouldn't call a Galgo Afgano a greyhound, would you?

And while the Spanish say Galgo Húngaro, other countries call them Magyar Agár

Edited by galgomum

Guest avadogner

This forum is open to all sighthounds. I had never heard that Irish Greyhounds have back ridges vs English Greys. I Googled it and couldn't find any info. It kept pulling Irish Wolfhound info up. My Ava has an cowlick ridge on her crown and neck that I have never seen it on other greys. Her pedigree lists a grandsire that was Irish. Is her cowlick from that? Very interesting. Welcome to Greytalk and post pics of your Galgo soon please!

Millie is Irish, born & bred, and raced there before coming to england and eventually adopting me. i've not noticed any ridge, though she does have a fairly heavy undercoat that Blue, my english greyhound did not - he had NO undercoat; i could knit a sweater from the undercoat i get from Millie. Blue had a ridge that raised on his back when he was in house defence mode, like a cat...

anyhow, as noted any sighthounds, long dogs, and/or lurchers are welcome here. oh, and their owners. or wannabe owners.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.