Update On Adequan Info

I posted earlier about the benefits of Adequan injections and have decided to go ahead with it. My vet however says that I cannot administer it b/c it's an intramuscular injection. Everything I know and read said it was a subcutaneous injection. Anyone want to comment?

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Not sure about dogs but the horses had a vet do the injections then we had to keep them inside for the day to minimize infection. Doesn't it get injected into the joint? IM injections can easily be done by yourself. In the state of DE it's illegal to do an IV injection unless your a licensed vet or tech if I remember correctly. I would think that if it was easy and safe to do yourself the barn staff/owners would do the injections themselves instead of paying for a farm call.

Just my 2 cents

------

Jessica

Not sure about dogs but the horses had a vet do the injections then we had to keep them inside for the day to minimize infection. Doesn't it get injected into the joint? IM injections can easily be done by yourself. In the state of DE it's illegal to do an IV injection unless your a licensed vet or tech if I remember correctly. I would think that if it was easy and safe to do yourself the barn staff/owners would do the injections themselves instead of paying for a farm call.

Just my 2 cents

Not injected into the joint but apparently I cannot legally administer an IM injection (into the muscle) but could if it were subcutaneously (under the skin). If IM provides more benefit I'm totally ok with that. It's just weird that a couple of years ago I helped a friend with sc injections of Adequan and now I cannot administer these to my dogs.

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

Our Shane gets Adequan. All his injections, including the one given first in the prescribing rehab vet's office, have been sub-q. Shane does much better with the sub-q injections than he did without Adequan, so we'll continue the practice. Maybe IM would be even more effective, I don't know.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

The product label is only for intramuscular use as that's how the original studies and clinical trials were done when it got FDA approval. However, it's common practice and well accepted by vets these days to give it subcutaneously. It is safe to give SQ and doesn't sting. Those who use it SQ have not noticed any decrease in efficacy, but I don't know if any scientific studies to prove this.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I do the shots myself for my horse.

They are IM.

Not sure why it would be 'illegal' to give a dog an IM shot. It certainly is not illegal here in Ontario.

FYI

Some vets do use Adequan IA (into Joints) on 'some' horses. It was a popular IA med a few years ago, but not so much anymore.

There are much better things now to give IA. My hose gets HA/steroid combo about once a year into his hock joints. He has bone spurs.

And of course, only a qualified vet shound do these types of shots.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I give them to Milky IM and my vet's only requirement was that I come in the first time for them to show me how. Milky gets her's in the butt and even at almost 12 she's got plenty of muscle (an very little fur) to make giving it IM very easy. I've heard of it given SQ to dogs and that is how I give it to my cat that also takes it. If it were me I would look into if it's illegal in your state or the vet just don't want you to give it at home. The only injection that I know of that has to be given by a vet by law is a rabies shot.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

They are IM.

Not sure why it would be 'illegal' to give a dog an IM shot. It certainly is not illegal here in Ontario.

FYI

Some vets do use Adequan IA (into Joints) on 'some' horses. It was a popular IA med a few years ago, but not so much anymore.

There are much better things now to give IA. My hose gets HA/steroid combo about once a year into his hock joints. He has bone spurs.

Ditto. My vet even gave me the needles to do the Adequan shots for my horse. I give them every two weeks - never had a problem. My mare also gets hock injections as needed (1 to 2 times per year). Those are done by the vet.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

not to hijack, but those of you that have used it with your hounds, does it really help? any side effects? the vet we saw when in Florida suggested it for Nube and I'm just wondering....

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

They are IM.

FYI

What I meant by this is that perhaps it's a licensing issue. Despite my being a nurse I could never give a patient a syringe and say do it yourself even if they were a nurse themselves. It's all I can think of but I'll see him in the a.m. and discuss it. Thinking he may feel it's a liability issue if I screwed up.

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

not to hijack, but those of you that have used it with your hounds, does it really help? any side effects? the vet we saw when in Florida suggested it for Nube and I'm just wondering....

It totally helps Shane. No side effects whatsoever. And he doesn't do as well when he's way overdue for a shot, which has happened more than once, so we've been able to get a good sense of how much better he does with the Adequan and how much worse he does without it.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Raineys Mom this was my original post.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/281251-adequan-injections/

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

It could also be a money issue - vet gets to charge you to give each shot. Sorry, but I know lots of people that give Adequan injections to horses with their vets blessing. It's not hard to give an IM.

It could also be a money issue - vet gets to charge you to give each shot. Sorry, but I know lots of people that give Adequan injections to horses with their vets blessing. It's not hard to give an IM.

I agree. I'll keep todays appt and see what happens. If I'm not satisfied I'll take another approach. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

I just have a really tough time believing that Adequan IM injections are in any way "illegal". If that were the case, a whole lot of vets in my area would be breaking the law. Heck, you can buy syringes and needles at any feed store around here. As others have said, only rabies is legally required to be done by a vet.

Edited by winnie

I just have a really tough time believing that Adequan IM injections are in any way "illegal". If that were the case, a whole lot of vets in my area would be breaking the law. Heck, you can buy syringes and needles at any feed store around here. As others have said, only rabies is legally required to be done by a vet.

I have to agree with this. My vet showed me how to draw it up and give the injection on Nadir. He said it could be done either SQ or IM then sent me home with 3 vials and the necessary syringes. Because I'm such a weenie though about giving shots I had my mother who has had plenty experience giving shots IM to my sister who is diabetic. She did make me do a few though so I know I can do it.

I think with this vet it's more about charging for the individual injections, like the vets who insist you buy medications from them and won't give you a prescription to get it elsewhere. I can see if that is their reasoning and I understand their need to make money too, but don't come up with some malarkey that it's illegal. Unless of course it really is illegal in that state for some odd reason.

I do hope it helps him though.