Sitting When A Train Whistles?

Guest Charmedseed

Guest Charmedseed

Nick was out walking Indy this afternoon when a train went by (it's about a half mile away, on the other side of the highway). When Indy heard the whistle, he immediately sat down! Nick said this happened twice. Is this a throwback to the kennel, or just a funny quirk?

Southlands kennels are right by the train tracks and I've not seen any of the hounds sit down when a train goes by.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Rocket always comes and sits at my feet when we use the squawker. I'm pretty sure that he was trained to do that when the squawker sounds since it's a consistent reaction.

Maybe the sound frequency is similar enough to a squawker that he thinks he's supposed to sit ???

Regardless, it's pretty cool - you need to get that on video.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Charmedseed

It's pretty hilarious. He only seems to do it when we're outside the house. We also live across from the elementary school I work at, and Nick says he perks his ears up when someone comes on the intercom (which is sounded outside as well). Boy's got good hearing for sure!

I live next to a train track. To prevent George from potentially being afraid of the train, I gave him a treat every time the train went by. Now he expects one every time he hears it. I wonder if your hound has a kennel pal who paid special attention to him and he learned something similar?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's pretty hilarious. He only seems to do it when we're outside the house. We also live across from the elementary school I work at, and Nick says he perks his ears up when someone comes on the intercom (which is sounded outside as well). Boy's got good hearing for sure!

So does Sammi. She hears anything that has the same brakes as a school bus within a 4 block radius of this house and her face is glued to the front window looking for her boy (My DS)

She also can be up in one of the bedrooms and hear someone downstairs, across the house, in the kitchen grabbing the peanut butter jar. Just grabbing it, not setting it down. By time you turn around to put it on the counter, she is right there waiting. :blink: