Having Accidents In The House

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

Only had glider for a month as you know, but he's been having accidents in the house #2's :( we take him out at 9, 2, 6, 9, and 12 and this morning we took him out and he didn't go #2 we brought him in and he went straight in the house it's becoming more often and it's becoming a problem. As soon as we get home he goes out, as soon as we wake up he goes out.

He also doesn't "ask" to go and when we think he's over his problem it's starts right back up! Also he has to go on a leash

Any advice?

Keep him out until he goes. :) You know it's in there, right? :lol

If you leash-walk, it can help to go up and down the same 2-3 blocks over and over, to get potty taken care of. If you're always going someplace new, doggy can get distracted from business.

If he hasn't gone while you're out, keep him attached to you by leash when you bring him in. Either whisk him right outside again when you see him start to get into position, or give him @ 5-10 minutes of following you around and then take him back out.

Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I feed mine first thing in the morning and then let them out and they all go and clean everything out. We do the same thing with the evening meal and they usually all go then also. I let them out several times during the day but usually they just pee. It seems they save the poop for after meals.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I feed mine first thing in the morning and then let them out and they all go and clean everything out. We do the same thing with the evening meal and they usually all go then also. I let them out several times during the day but usually they just pee. It seems they save the poop for after meals.

This.

We've had multiple dogs for many years and this has been the potty habits they've all had.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Keep him out until he goes. :) You know it's in there, right? :lol

If you leash-walk, it can help to go up and down the same 2-3 blocks over and over, to get potty taken care of. If you're always going someplace new, doggy can get distracted from business.

If he hasn't gone while you're out, keep him attached to you by leash when you bring him in. Either whisk him right outside again when you see him start to get into position, or give him @ 5-10 minutes of following you around and then take him back out.

Best luck!

This. When I had to do the leashed break thing I made it very very boring. I paced not a block, but the end of the yard over and over and over until the deeds were done. As soon as they were, it was happy time! We got to go back in the house and EAT! At first it took about 15-20 minutes of this boring pacing of the yard, but within a cpl weeks all business was done in about 5 min or less.

I might also suggest that if he ENJOYS walking, and you get in the habit of stopping the walk the second he poops, he may hold it on purpose.

It's best, IMHO, to do the boring "let's go potty" part of the walk, and then do at least a LITTLE something fun.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yeah, what they said. :lol It's all been said but I'll recap. Patience & perseverance will pay off & solve this problem. Treat her like a puppy for now: wake up & go out; eat & go out; lots of play/excitement & go out; if humans are going to leave then go out; big drink of water & go out; time for bed then go out. That's a lot of outs but it also helps prevent accidents & helps you learn her schedule. When you know the times he normally goes potty then you know when you need to really stick it out. If he is just not going & you cannot/will not wait it out then when you bring her in you would do best to either crate her or tether her to you & then go out again in 10-15 min.

Heed GeorgeofNE. If he loves going out to walk then take care of the boring potty walk part first & then go for a fun sniffy walk, long or short. If no fun happens until after the pottying he is more likely to take care of business quickly.

Guest shanesmom

I might also suggest that if he ENJOYS walking, and you get in the habit of stopping the walk the second he poops, he may hold it on purpose.

It's best, IMHO, to do the boring "let's go potty" part of the walk, and then do at least a LITTLE something fun.

This is really good advice. They are so smart.

Also, are you free-feeding or do you give meals? Free feeding makes things more difficult, but not impossible. I feed meals and they are ready to potty 5 to 15 minutes after they eat. As soon as he potties give him premium treats. Warning: mine caught on to this and started asking to go out all the time :lol

edited to add: yes, attach him to you if he does not potty when outside. If he starts to sniff immediately take him out to potty.

Edited by june

Guest Geostar

Have you tried a belly band while he is in the house? If he does his business in the home, place him in a crate to let him know that your home is NOT the area to go potty..urine or BM's. With every foster we get, they are placed into a crate so they can get acclimatized in their new environment. Frankly, these dogs don't know otherwise. I use a crate for a week, and then, the dogs are free to be in the home, but, they are watched carefully. We also use treats after they do their business outside or reward them with "Good boy", "Good Girl"..with tons of enthusiasm.

Have him checked for crystals in his bladder..as that can be a problem. Had a female greyhound hold her urine for 13 hours! Found she had crystals from the food we were feeding her. Belly bands do work well in the home..as far as urine goes, but, the trick is to remember to remove them when the dog is out side! Best of luck..

Esther

Carl would not poop in the morning unless I took him for a walk. There are times when I couldn't walk him in the morning because of early meetings, etc, then I'd come home from work to you know what. So, since he is VERY food motivated, I started saying "go poopy" when he would assume the position on walks, then give him a treat and lavish him with praise after each and every poop. On days I didn't go to work and I would be in the yard with him and catch him assuming the position, I would follow the same reward & praise routine. It took a very long time, but now he will poop in the yard if I need him to, so long as I follow his "poopy routine"!

Carl would not poop in the morning unless I took him for a walk. There are times when I couldn't walk him in the morning because of early meetings, etc, then I'd come home from work to you know what. So, since he is VERY food motivated, I started saying "go poopy" when he would assume the position on walks, then give him a treat and lavish him with praise after each and every poop. On days I didn't go to work and I would be in the yard with him and catch him assuming the position, I would follow the same reward & praise routine. It took a very long time, but now he will poop in the yard if I need him to, so long as I follow his "poopy routine"!

Maybe a lavish praise and reward routine for when he does poop outside would help him understand better.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014