He's Destroying The House!

I hope you read my previous post, because there are certainly avenues for you to try, if you are still willing.

As Jey (Batmom) said, right now, you need to seriously think about your level of commitment to this dog. It isn't an admission of failure on your part, and you shouldn't be judged for returning a dog who clearly isn't thriving and happy at your house. It happens. More often than you probably realize. There are a lot of homes where he can be a super second dog, and your home can be a great home to a confident solo dog who isn't as happy being one of many. Call your adoption group and have a heart-to-heart with them about your situation. A *good* group should be more than willing to help you.

Just as an aside, you commented that you are an experienced dog owner, and that's great. Greyhounds need all the good homes they can get. But severe SA such as your boy is exhibiting is a completely different thing and even an owner with years of experience can quickly become frustrated and angry at the continued destruction after months of hard work. Tranking him unconscious isn't necessarily the way to go, so avoid drugs like acepromazine if possible.

This is when it's time to call in a professional. A certified animal behaviorist can assess his problems and prescribe the most appropriate drug for you to start with at the point you are at with him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Medication should get him to a place where he can actually learn so alone training might become more productive while he's medicated. We had a foster recently who peed every time you left her alone, even for 20 minutes. Meds helped her reach a comfort level where our training made sense and had an effect on her, and she's now living very contentedly as an only dog. However, not all cases will resolve so easily. The level of SA your boy is experiencing seems pretty severe. It might be that meds help but don't ever truly eliminate the issue, especially considering that he doesn't have a canine companion to cue from.

Ideally, anti-anxiety meds are short term; 6-12 months and then you wean them off. It's worth a try, by all means, but I would also consider the possibility that this simply isn't an ideal match for any of you (and I don't ever make that suggestion lightly). You and your dog deserve to enjoy each other. I hope you find a solution that works for you. :)

We practice "alone" time pretty much every day, for increasing amounts of time. Occasionally he seems to be better. I was a little surprised at the response above from someone suggesting I need to assume the "Alpha" position.

Can you describe in detail what you've done to practice 'alone training'? What length of time have you worked up to, and is he truly comfortable alone for this period? Are you using a 'safety cue' to distinguish training sessions from unavoidable absences that are longer than what he can tolerate? I agree with you that alpha status and establishing yourself as leader has nothing to do with separation anxiety.

I was hoping someone on this forum would have some miracle advice, as I've so often gotten in the past. I think what's best for the dog at this point is to get a mild tranquilizer from the vet, use it until he seems to have adjusted to being alone, and slowly ween him off.

Unfortunately, there are no miracle cures or easy fixes for separation anxiety (except maybe getting another greyhound, and this applies mostly to greys and not other breeds). A tranquilizer may help keep him from destroying the house, but it won't teach him that it's ok to be alone. For that, you need a true anti-anxiety medication like Reconcile or Clomicalm. And as others have mentioned, even these meds aren't a quick fix by themselves. They just take the edge off, reduce anxiety, and must be used in conjunction with a behavior modification (ie. training) program for long term success.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest iconsmum

If you're worried about another greyhound also being a bit fluky, you can try another breed as his buddy. I have goldens and they are a really good foil for a worried grey. first they're big and solid enough to be a comforting presence. Second, they're really laid back (if you adopt an adult with a known temperament and history you're "golden") and third, they're touchy-feely and they love company so they hang out around other dogs well. My current little golden has totally supported three greys through their fears and allowed them to become easy keepers within a short time frame. Lots of goldens out there are losing their homes and there are placement groups looking for rehoming spots. I'm not saying they're the only breed that works with a scaredy grey, but...

I could post many pictures of what our Sam used to do to our house. Yikes. I read a lot of things here on SA and they all helped. One thing I did that was suggested here is something I continue to this day--although it was disputed here as well as suggested. I found a kibble with a lower protein level. I thought it was coincidental that this might have been working until I switched foods back to one with a higher protein level. Out of the blue, I once again came home to a destroyed house. Changed the food back--no problems since. He is such a good boy. It just took time and patience to find some of the right things that worked for him. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Update: Okay, took one of your advice, and spoke to a dog communicator. Before I told her the problem, she blurted out " You need to get a second dog, all your problems will go away". So, we gave in and adopted a very shy female. Hadji's SA immediately went away. I leave them both in the house, don't have to close off any rooms, and don't come back to a pile of drool by the door or any damage. Gila seems to enjoy being alone, there's less to scare her, and she often dissappears into the bedroom to be by herself. So far (5 days), it seems to be a good match, Hadji's teaching Gila that people and doors and the wind aren't scary things, and Gila's teaching Hadji that alone time can be very relaxing.

I truly believe that no one should have just one greyhound. Look at the way they are raised. They are totally socialized from birth and used to having other dogs around them their whole life. Just seems more natural to have more than one. Just my personal opinion. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Update: Okay, took one of your advice, and spoke to a dog communicator. Before I told her the problem, she blurted out " You need to get a second dog, all your problems will go away".

I'm glad to hear it worked out. Sometimes a big change will jolt a dog out of established behavior even if it's severe, but I think you got really lucky because that was bad advice from the dog communicator. From my experience and experience of others, when you have a severe SA dog that's destructive and crying at the top of his/her lungs, when you bring in a second dog the first will simply freak out the new one and now you've got two crying and howling dogs. I went down that road myself. Trust me, "all my problems" didn't go away, nope, I added a new one.

For others with SA dogs reading this, a trick that *might* work is to record yourself talking on the phone, it can help if you talking to another Greyhound person and saying your dog's name several times over, and play the tape loudly in the bathroom (close the door) when you leave your house for work or whatever. You need to leave three or four minutes of silent tape at the beginning so the dog *might* think you've returned to the house after leaving. In severe cases it also might help to park your car away from your house so the dog can't see you leave. You might knock on the bathroom window from the outside as well to help establish the recording coming from the bathroom. On the other hand, the dog might see right through it and you're still hosed.

Notice my weasle-word: Might. Many times there's no answer for a dog's severe SA, other than you staying home for the next ten years...

Ryan

Guest cruzNhounds

He's still a pup.....a 2 year old land shark :blush

I truly believe that no one should have just one greyhound. Look at the way they are raised. They are totally socialized from birth and used to having other dogs around them their whole life. Just seems more natural to have more than one. Just my personal opinion. ;)

:)

Much credit to you for doing right by your dog.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest verthib

Update: Okay, took one of your advice, and spoke to a dog communicator. Before I told her the problem, she blurted out " You need to get a second dog, all your problems will go away". So, we gave in and adopted a very shy female. Hadji's SA immediately went away. I leave them both in the house, don't have to close off any rooms, and don't come back to a pile of drool by the door or any damage. Gila seems to enjoy being alone, there's less to scare her, and she often dissappears into the bedroom to be by herself. So far (5 days), it seems to be a good match, Hadji's teaching Gila that people and doors and the wind aren't scary things, and Gila's teaching Hadji that alone time can be very relaxing.

That is greyt!!!! We tried everything with Gracie's SA and nothing worked until we adopted our second grey. Her SA literally went away overnight. I'm so happy for you!

I am so sorry you are going through this. One of my girls had SA when I brought her home (and there was already another grey here) and we struggled with it for many months before she stopped eating the furniture.

Do you leave a TV or radio on while you are gone. Many greys are used to having a radio on and this could help calm him although I have to agree that you will probably need to get some professional help or talk to your adoption group about if this is the right match for you.

I am so sorry you are going through this. One of my girls had SA when I brought her home (and there was already another grey here) and we struggled with it for many months before she stopped eating the furniture.

Do you leave a TV or radio on while you are gone. Many greys are used to having a radio on and this could help calm him although I have to agree that you will probably need to get some professional help or talk to your adoption group about if this is the right match for you.

I did try leaving the radio on once, and this seemed to make it worse. I read it can make the dog more nervous because they can't listen for your return. I think that was the case here, as the door hadn't been chewed on for a few days, and then when I left the radio on, it was.

:yay

hope your new girl settles in and he becomes her rock. Giving him that job sounds like a win-win.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

OOPS! :( Missed the post where you said you got another grey and things are going well.

So glad you all are happy now! :yay

first, i am so glad that this situation worked out for the OP. i have a follow up question to ask, though.

i often hear people talk about how their greyhound's SA went away "instantly," after adopting a second. i am interpreting this to mean that the SA didnt actually go anywhere, its just that the dog is never actually alone anymore. am i interpreting this correctly, or do people simply find that a second dog creates some sort of more relaxed atmosphere, where the original SA dog is suddenly more comfortable in general, and can therefore be alone when neccesary?

i am making very, very slow progress with my greyhound of three months. his case is nowhere near as severe as this. he's simply a barker. right now i split workdays between daycare and borrowing a second grey from a nearby friend, and work on alone training by building up his alone time when i can. some days he's good for 20 minutes, or even a half hour if its late at night and he's already exhausted. but some days he's up and waiting at the door after 30 seconds. he is also on 10mg of prozac daily, which hasnt had any noticeable effect on his personality, but is hopefully helping him to absorb his training faster.

i would absolutely love to have a second, but i am suddenly experiencing job insecurity, and am hesitant about committing to a another dog at this particular moment (im sure i will eventually). but also, i really want to have a go at building his confidence and actually eliminating his SA behaviors before adopting another.

anyways, thanks in advance for any clarifications that may be offered.

Edited by jaym1

first, i am so glad that this situation worked out for the OP. i have a follow up question to ask, though.

i often hear people talk about how their greyhound's SA went away "instantly," after adopting a second. i am interpreting this to mean that the SA didnt actually go anywhere, its just that the dog is never actually alone anymore. am i interpreting this correctly, or do people simply find that a second dog creates some sort of more relaxed atmosphere, where the original SA dog is suddenly more comfortable in general, and can therefore be alone when neccesary?

i am making very, very slow progress with my greyhound of three months. his case is nowhere near as severe as this. he's simply a barker. right now i split workdays between daycare and borrowing a second grey from a nearby friend, and work on alone training by building up his alone time when i can. some days he's good for 20 minutes, or even a half hour if its late at night and he's already exhausted. but some days he's up and waiting at the door after 30 seconds. he is also on 10mg of prozac daily, which hasnt had any noticeable effect on his personality, but is hopefully helping him to absorb his training faster.

i would absolutely love to have a second, but i am suddenly experiencing job insecurity, and am hesitant about committing to a another dog at this particular moment (im sure i will eventually). but also, i really want to have a go at building his confidence and actually eliminating his SA behaviors before adopting another.

anyways, thanks in advance for any clarifications that may be offered.

You're right, I shouldn't have said his SA dissappeared. I'm pretty sure if I left him alone again, it would reappear. It's just Gila keeps him company, and actually enjoys being alone. He generally seems much happier, too. They play together, sniff together, do dog things together (like wake us up in the middle of the night). Before we got Gila, Hadji seemed bored and depressed (I know, I shouldn't put human emotions on a dog, but that's how it seemed). It's only been a week now, and there's still a lot to figure out (best eating arrangement, car ride arrangement, bed arrangement), but right now they're both improving daily.

ha, its ok. i just wanted to make sure i was interpreting correctly.

after spending so much time with 2 greys as a result of borrowing the second, i feel the same way. the seem to have a lot of fun on walks together, and mine is certainly a lot more comfortable (which is to say, completely comfortable) being home when his friend is there. its also just a lot more fun for me to see them both together, and to interact with two, so i will eventually go that route when the timing is right. i am sorely tempted to get a second right now, but i dont want to find that i have to make a major life change in a few months that would disrupt the lives of both dogs at once.

sorry for hijacking the thread!

Guest verthib

ha, its ok. i just wanted to make sure i was interpreting correctly.

after spending so much time with 2 greys as a result of borrowing the second, i feel the same way. the seem to have a lot of fun on walks together, and mine is certainly a lot more comfortable (which is to say, completely comfortable) being home when his friend is there. its also just a lot more fun for me to see them both together, and to interact with two, so i will eventually go that route when the timing is right. i am sorely tempted to get a second right now, but i dont want to find that i have to make a major life change in a few months that would disrupt the lives of both dogs at once.

sorry for hijacking the thread!

I always say Gracie's SA disappeared overnight and that's what I meant. She no longer chews the bars to her crate, whines, howls, pants, etc. She also didn't have much interest in playing or eating. Whether its that she isn't alone with Angus here doesn't matter to me. She's not stressed, she's happier, playful, eats like a horse and just all around seems better settled. My husband was laid off for months and months and we adopted Angus anyway. We figured her happiness, and giving another one a home, was worth some less frequent dinners out. If you can afford it I say go for it. It will amaze you. We just got tired of the never ending battle of her SA so we bit the bullet. Best decision we ever made! (Even though he was a huge challenge in the beginning, I can't imagine my life without him.)

Edited by verthib

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So we've had Gila about 3 weeks now as a companion for Hadji. His S.A. lessened dramatically at first, but now seems to be back. He's not having the full-blown panic attacks, but is pulling things of counters and chewing whatever's handy. He hadn't jumped up on the windows in a while so started leaving the blinds down again, well, he's back to jumping on the windows to try to get out (we have hurricane proof windows, so I'm not worried he'll break them). They get treats when we leave and don't follow us to the door, and we love them both dearly, but now we have one that still suffers from S.A., and one who keeps getting us up through the night. When suggested by many readers, and a dog psychic, that we needed to get a second dog, I gave in even though I feared it would increase our problems. It has. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that in time everything will work out.

Seems odd that it subsided and then returned. Could something else have "re" triggered it? Loud noise in the neighborhood...some change in the house??? Just wondering if there is something external that is bothering him that just hasn't show itself to you as problematic......

Best wishes....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.