Confused About Distemper Vaccine

Guest greysmitten

Guest greysmitten

My Grey is at the vet's office as I type to have her dental done and update her vaccines.

Originally, I was going to have her get only the rabies vaccine since it is the only one required by law to have her licensed locally and also to cross the border (we live in a border city and her vet's office is actually in the States). At our last vet visit, I was told that that was acceptable.

I felt uncomfortable after dropping her off this morning, so I called the vet's office to make sure she was to have her dental and rabies vaccine only. Then I was told over the phone that she would indeed need to have her distemper vaccine "because she will be put under" for her dental.

Am I missing a connection here?

If they give that to her without your authorization I would be calling a lawyer. I would be picking her back up asap and finding a new vet. or you could call back and say on no uncertain terms "If she if given anything other than Rabies and a dental I will file charges. You are only authorized to give her rabies and a dental, no other vaccinations"

I will not let a vet bully me into something. I pay them ;)

------

Jessica

Some clinics have a protocol that all "inpatient" animals be vaccinated with certain vaccines such as Rabies, Distemper Combo, and Bordetella unless contraindicated due to disease/sickness. However, if it is their protocol, you should have been informed prior to the procedure or at least at drop-off today. When was your dog last vaccinated with the Distemper Combo-no sooner than 3 years is now the recommended time frame.

Don't do it. Anethesia and a dental in one day is more than enough of an assault on her body. I never schedule procedures or shots any closer than 30 days. If they argue with you, tell them you will be right over to pick up your dog.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest greysmitten

Some clinics have a protocol that all "inpatient" animals be vaccinated with certain vaccines such as Rabies, Distemper Combo, and Bordetella unless contraindicated due to disease/sickness. However, if it is their protocol, you should have been informed prior to the procedure or at least at drop-off today. When was your dog last vaccinated with the Distemper Combo-no sooner than 3 years is now the recommended time frame.

I think that's what the deal was. The girl at the front desk seemed a little unsure (I think she's new) and had to put me on hold to check. So I think that this is what she meant about needed to have the distemper vaccine to "be put under" (ie. inpatient). But you're totally right - I should have been notified at the time I made the appointment because I specifically asked which vaccines were recommended and I clearly stated that I only wanted the rabies vaccine .... and that was a few months back. Hmph.

I had no idea that it's not kosher to vaccinate with anesthesia :eek Crap.

What's done is done now, but I'm pretty miffed. I know it's not the end of the world ... she home now and seems very ok. I'm going to have a chat with the vet next time I make an appointment. Sheesh.

Thanks, everyone!

P.S. Her teeth are GORGEOUS - I had no idea they could look like this. And her kisses don't stink anymore :)

I had no idea that it's not kosher to vaccinate with anesthesia :eek Crap.

Didn't hurt her :) . The issue is, if there's a vaccine reaction, you won't see it. Hopefully they gave it to her a good hour or so before they put her under.

For the most part, vaccines really aren't that big of a deal.

I'm glad your pupper is home and in good condition, with pearly whites and sweet breath!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.