Is It Common For Their Dewclaws To Be Removed?

Guest Celestrina

Danger chews his nails also. Not only his dews, but his front nails as well. Freak! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

George has HUGE dew claws that stick out. Combined with his ever-so-cute pigeon toes, I can't believe he made it around the track so many times without tripping himself! :rotfl

They may be large, but those pigeon toes are so adorable that I didn't even notice the dew claws because I was so smitten with the toes!

By the way, JJ is the only one of our hounds who has had them removed.

Danger chews his nails also. Not only his dews, but his front nails as well. Freak! :rofl :rofl :rofl

:lol

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sterling did not have dewclaws and Burdette and Kelsey have them. Kelsey had also torn them twice so far that needed vet attention dry.gif .

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

With our greys and foster greys through here, about 15, it's been 50/50 with dewclaws. Some owners remove them, some don't. That preference probably has something to do with the trauma it may cause a puppy, or cost to remove, - I don't know if that's real or not.

I DO know, as an owner of an adult dog - I prefer to not deal with a dewclaw.

millie has hers on the front, she damaged one once & vet pulled it off as it was dangling by a thread. blood everywhere. it grew back.

blue never had any externally. you could feel mini ones just under the skin where they should have formed, but never did. no scars or anything there. luckily the vestigial claw part never got any bigger.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest snowmo18

1 of our 7 fosters didnt have his dew claws...it was probably good for him...very hyper boy and always taking spills. I sure do hate trimming them and I always get the "eye" from Raider when I start tackling them.

Guest happygrey

All of our 3 have their dew claws but a month or so ago, Tatam fell in the house and somehow ripped one of the front ones off. (We found the entire ripped out claw on the run the day after :eek ) At the time it bled like crazy. I still don't even understand how it happened. Now he has kind of a bump where that claw was and no sign yet of whether or not it will grow back.

It seems like it would be easier if they didn't have them.

Edited by happygrey