Soaking A Sore Toe

Guest eva1634

Guest eva1634

I'm new to the list and have a question about soaking a sore toe.

I've read the 10-15 minute prescription and also how hard/messy this can be. Rather than a bucket or pan, does anyone simply stand them in a tub of warm Epsom salt / Chlorohex laced water. That seems better to me. You could even make a double-duty party out of it an give a bath, too.

But if not, why?

My dog is super easy so I just use a small tupperware with the soaking solution and he stands there calmly. My vet recommended using a heavy duty baggie with the soaking solution or just a soaked paper towel inside and then securing it to the dogs leg with medical tape. Of course all of this with supervision.

I guess there's no reason why not to use the tub except the dog might lay down in it. :dunno And then the extra clean up too.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Nixon was very good for us...he also just stood quiety with this foot in a shallow basin.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You'd probably need water 2 inches deep to be deep enough to cover the toe. How many cups of water would you have to put in the tub to get the water 2 inches deep for your dog's foot? And how much medicated solution would you have to add to the tub to get the soak up to the recommended strength?

That's a lot of water (and meds) standing in the tub that isn't actually doing the toe any good. Baggies or small bowls will be much more practical, targeted, and less expensive.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest goofydog

I had to soak Get Em's foot after a toe amp and it was easiest to do it while he rested after dinner. I put hot water in a bowl, added the epsom salts and stirred to disolve. Then I soaked a tube sock in the solution, wrapped it around his foot and sat with him on the floor until it cooled, repeating as necessary until I'd reached the desired 15 minute soak time. I wrapped it in saran wrap to help keep the heat in and not soak his bed. Heck, he's a greyhound, there's no way he would stand in one place for 10-15 minutes :lol

Guest eva1634

Thanks for the all the good, practical advice. I knew this was the place to come for answers.

We'll try baggies and basins and and see which works best.