Going On The Lead - Help!

Done to death, I'm sure, but I'd appreciate some help. Brandi has settled in beautifully - we've had her for just over a week and she's divine. We're also adding another hound to the mix later this week which we can't wait for. There's only one problem. She won't pee or poop when out on her walks. She prefers to use a spot in the back garden. The first couple of days she was fine on walks, but now, nothing.

We've tried taking her out every hour and not letting her into the garden. She ends up just refusing to go walking. We've tried taking her out the back on the lead and having her go there with cue words. That works in the yard for pees, but not for poos, but doesn't then translate into behaviour on walks.

Any suggestions? Is it stage fright? Do I need to be more persistent? She had an accident in the house yesterday, partly due to SA as she was left for longer than she has been before, but it was 5 hours when I had to go to work. She regularly holds for 10 hours overnight and when she just can't be bothered getting out of bed in the morning, so I'd really like to get this sorted.

You need to get her into a routine and stick with it. If she thinks she is going to go out every hour, she won't be bothered to go. Then, when she doesn't go out every hour, she will have an accident.

Give her as much space as you can while trying to get her to potty. Some people use longer leads or tie 2 together initilaly to give the dog more space, but I wouldn't do it unless you are an experienced handler. We don't want her to be an Amber Alert.

Some dogs prefer to go beihnd something or on something. Our boy likes tall weeds or grass to squat over, but is in a routine where we walk at the same times every day, and has turnouts into a fenced area as part of his meal routines.

These pups thrive on routine. Don't give up on her, just work on the routine and she will get there. It may not be wise to bring in a second pup until you have thr routine established with the first. Often, a new dog takes his/her clues from the one who is already there.

Good luck. I'm sure others will chime in with things that have worked for them - it's a very common issue when a pup first arrives.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My last foster would not go 1 or 2 on lead,just mark. I put him on a 12ft lead to give more privacy....nope. He would wait for the yard. If it was dark he would not go in the yard. They said walk him until he does go! Into the next county,maybe! I did give up. I passed him back to the group so some one else would have a change of scenery. He was my 15th foster and I was not the right one. Ity is disappointing to walk 1/2 mile and then find a pile in the livingroom 5 minutes later

Do you have a friend with a dog you could walk with? I found that a "mentor" to show the dog what to do helps. Diesel's been a great mentor to my foster dogs, they pick up behaviour by watching him that took him weeks to learn. I had one foster girl sitting on command in about a week, it took Diesel 5 weeks to learn the same behaviour, but he had to learn all by himself. Same with potty breaks - Diesel goes on leash, they learn pretty quick that's when they need to go too.

Tina & Diesel

Any reason she can't go in the garden?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That was my thought, too, the same as Batmom's. Why can't she go in the yard? My previous non-greys dogs I deliberately trained to NOT eliminate while out on leash and to actually eliminate on a special interlocked area at the side of the house. We could in the yard for hours and if they had to go, they ran over to the "toilet" and went -- it was great! If I was younger and more "into" training, I would attempt the same thing with Summer. I've had dogs for years and years and now, at 49, I have to buy poo-bags because my dog isn't trained to only go in the yard.

Edit: They would also eliminate whatever I requested, whenever I asked. Or at least, they'd attempt it which would tell me they were empty. Both of them WOULD eliminate on leash, though, if I commanded it. Such as when we were visiting someone or when we were camping. I just had to select an area, tell them to eliminate there and then they would go in that spot until we left.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Any reason she can't go in the garden?

She could, but two of them in the garden just makes more mess, that's all. If she needs to go there, she can. But I'm also worried if we go on holidays and she's with my parents, she'll need to mainly toilet on walks then, or if we're going somewhere in the car, or whatever. I'll keep with it then and see what happens, aiming for privacy and routine.

On the up side, she attended her first obedience class today. Full marks for attention to her name and standing up. She even sat briefly, but it really isn't comfortable for her, so we're working on lying down, which really is playing to her strengths. She was the only dog in the class who spent more time lying on her side with her eyes shut dozing than madly yapping at the end of the lead. :colgate She was pretty cool with all the other dogs, with only a couple of freezes, and also disciplined one of the rude dogs in the class whose owner couldn't understand why her poodle's barking, lunging and leaping at her wasn't met with tail wags, and instead met a snarl, and dead eyes. But she came immediately when called away from him (more than he did) and was really a little champion - I'm so proud.

If she willingly goes in the garden, I'd let her go there. Better there than an accident indoors :) .

I've always had a fenced yard. Some of my pups have preferred to go on lead, some have preferred to go in the yard. All *will* go on lead on trips.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If she willingly goes in the garden, I'd let her go there. Better there than an accident indoors :) .

I've always had a fenced yard. Some of my pups have preferred to go on lead, some have preferred to go in the yard. All *will* go on lead on trips.

You have no idea how much that comforts me! Thank you! I shall continue working on it, but at least it isn't something I need to panic about. I also spoke to the adopting group and where she was fostered, she was basically in a run all day with no real routine of walks etc, so she is still adjusting to life in a family home. Another small breakthrough today was her putting her front paws into the car by herself. She's making HUGE strides, so I need to be patient.

Guest KennelMom

This may not be a battle you want to fight right now...give her some time to acclimate and then start leash training. And, it could just be something that resolves itself with time as she gets more comfortable with pet life.

I (used to) travel often with my dogs to lure coursing events where we'd stay in hotels and going potty on a leash was necessary...Our dogs have always had a fenced backyard and the first trip I made with some of the dogs were pretty stressful for me since they wouldn't potty on a leash - then I'd have to be hyper-vigilant in the hotel. One night I didn't sleep at all! So, I think it's worth it to train your dog to be comfortable pottying on leash, preferably using trigger word. I use "take a break" and any dogs that I travel with regularly learn this. Doesn't mean they will potty right away when I say it, just that they know it's potty time and they need to take advantage.

If she'll potty in the garden, walk her back there on leash and praise when she potties (be careful not to startle her!)...then work your way out from that area, praise for potties. Some dogs may need a longer leash at first as well.

eta: keep in mind that dogs don't usually generalize well, so this is a skill you may have to work on in lots of different places. "going" on leash at home might become easier for her, but new places may present a challenge for her.

Edited by KennelMom

Our greyhound Faye Oops came to us when she was 10 y/o. She had been in a home for 7 years prior since coming off the track with a large yard and doggie door. She was never made to go potty on lead. Sure enough, she wouldn't do it for us either. Having other dogs on walks with her did nothing. Our other greyhounds all potty on lead, but Faye Oops didn't take the hint. Thankfully, we do have a yard she could use. However, we were worried about taking her on trips. We didn't take any with her. Finally, this past weekend we took her on her first overnight trip. I was stressed about what she'd do. Sure enough, when given no other option, she went potty on lead!!! I guess when you really gotta go - you just do it.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Hattie would avoid going to the loo on walks unless she really had to go the first couple of weeks, but i read that it can be to do with not wanting to announce themselves as such by leaving their scent behind. Soon enough she was quite happy to go wherever, so it might change in time.

Breakthrough! Potty on the lead this morning. We met a couple of dogs she's seen before and they were all very friendly and playful, but the others were chasing a ball. She got quite excited, and when we left them, bang! (So to speak.) As my husband comments, one small turd for the dog, one giant turd for the owners. :colgate

Guest greyers

EXCELLENT! I know some people say that even with other dogs it doesn't make them go, but I have always had good luck with being with other dogs or having excitement!

Dang, that was fast! :lol

But see? No worries. :)

Batmom, very 'Strayan that 'no worries'. She was left for 4 hours today and I cam home to an accident on the carpet, but it was easily cleaned up and we just need to work on the separation anxiety. There was certainly less mess this time so we are getting there.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I know I'm probably over-anxious, and we've had her less than a fortnight but I just want things to go well.