Not Spending Time With His "pack"

Guest driser

Our Greyhound (will be 3 in Dec, we've had him since late June 2011) loves his bed in our bedroom upstairs. No matter how many times a day I bring his squeaky toys back down stairs he carries them one by one back upstairs. My husband thinks our bedroom is his true "den". When we first get up or get home after being away he is giddy and can't get enough of us, but soon thereafter he disappears to his bed upstairs. Granted our 10 year old cat sets the example; they both spend ALL day upstairs in their beds. But is this normal for a Greyhound? it's so cat like and this is our first dog so we're wondering why he doesn't spend more time downstairs on his equally fluffy bed with us. Granted, he doesn't seem to like all the shouting (both of us) when football is on. :)

Perfectly normal. Greyhounds are very cat-like in their behavior. You may see this change over time, or not. He might still be settling in a bit and so spending more time in his "safe" zone. OR he could just like being up in the bedroom away from the hubbub and noise. If you would like him to stay with you, simply block off the stairs with a baby gate. His anxiety level will tell you which of the two it likely is.

If it's anxiety making him retreat, you can increase his tolerance by gradually increasing the time he is forced to spend downstairs. If he just likes it up there better, it likely won't make a big difference to him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Bailey spent lots of time upstairs...she had her favourite spot so I was fine as long as she was comfortable. I knew exactly where she was. Bring out the treats and she'd be down stairs like a shot, so she knew what was going on. Ben prefers a corner on the other side of the room...he's liked that place for 6.5 years, so I think he just likes his spot...he's warm and comfortable there and it has nothing to do with DH or I. As soon as he hears the word walk or the leash, he's right there by our side.

Perhaps it has more to do with not having to share from his track days.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We have the same issue here. In May 2011 Mariah age 10 joined our pack and she is more comfortable in our bedroom or her "apartment". Lately she has starting spending more time in the LR on the sofa but really prefers her quiet time in her apt. We have three other dogs and three cats so probably enjoys the peace and quiet.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

We've had Tracker for 1.5 years and he lives on his sofa in the sun room (where I am a lot). However, he's never shown the slightest interest in leaving the sofa to spend time with us in the TV room or sleeping in our bedroom with us. I think he'll grow roots on the sofa, eventually. I actually like that he's not constantly hanging around me.

Guest BrianRke

Frank is like that too, he is by my side every minute. He is never out of my line of sight.

Diamond and Daytona spend a lot of time upstairs, especially in the mornings.

Perfectly normal behavior. Like someone else said, this may change over time.

Sooner used to the same thing. His favorite spot was our guest bathroom upstairs away from everyone. He would stay up there all day and just come down in the evenings for his dinner and to go outside for a while.

Edited by Tes623

Our Greyhound (will be 3 in Dec, we've had him since late June 2011) loves his bed in our bedroom upstairs. No matter how many times a day I bring his squeaky toys back down stairs he carries them one by one back upstairs. My husband thinks our bedroom is his true "den". When we first get up or get home after being away he is giddy and can't get enough of us, but soon thereafter he disappears to his bed upstairs. Granted our 10 year old cat sets the example; they both spend ALL day upstairs in their beds. But is this normal for a Greyhound? it's so cat like and this is our first dog so we're wondering why he doesn't spend more time downstairs on his equally fluffy bed with us. Granted, he doesn't seem to like all the shouting (both of us) when football is on. :)

This was the norm for our first greyhound, Walter. The running joke was, "Where's Walter?", "Oh, he went to bed already"...

This was the norm for our first greyhound, Walter. The running joke was, "Where's Walter?", "Oh, he went to bed already"...

^^^ This sounds like Seamus, too :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Iceman41

My girl also spends most of her time in my man cave on her futon.

I have a very small ranch house 1000 square feet.

But I do shut the door and she will

Lay on the LR couch with the wife

I don't watch tv in the LR.

Wife and I have been married 20 years and life time is not my cup of tea hehehe