Poultry Feet

Guest greyers

Guest greyers

I recently noticed that one of my local pet food ma and pa shops is now carrying dehydrated duck feet. I have never previously fed duck nor chicken feet to my guys simply because they aren't sold locally. Once Rego's belly has been calm for a couple of weeks I plan to start reintroducing treats. I was contemplating buying the dehydrated duck feet since I can find it locally.

For those of you who feed poultry feet (especially dehydrated ones) I wondered if there was any preference by your hounds for chicken over the duck? Also wondered if the duck has as much natural chondroitin as the chicken feet do?

Edited by greyers

I've been told, by a lady who sells raw food and who also does her own dehydrating, NOT to feed dehydrated feet. Actually, not to feed anything dehydrated with bones in it. The bones can often (always?) be made brittle by the dehydrating and then they behave much like cooked bones -- dangerously. I actually had won a big bag of dehydrated feet at a raffle and was told this after I had given one to Summer. I was anxious for a day or two, hoping nothing would happen, and I threw out the rest of the bag.

I do, though, feed raw chicken and duck feet. And I don't notice a preference for one or the other. Both are received most readily!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Swifthounds

The feet are basically all cartilage, so there isn't much bone to cause an issue, however, the chondroitin in the feet is less usable by the body than if they are given in raw form and the dehydrated versions have not just had heat added - they've had drying and smoking agents added, which aren't the healthiest and may cause issues for a sensitive tummy. I would stick with the raw.

Our dogs love them as a treat. Dried feets are enthusiastically devoured quickly and joyfully.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest tellybelly

How often should one give "feets" to their hound as a treat? Once a week, once every few days? I think I would be a tad squeamish about it, :blink:.... but I do like how GreyTzu said they are "enthusiastically devoured quickly and joyfully!" :lol We are trying to give Telly more variety in her treats, and want to give her things that won't cause tummy troubles.

I have never heard of dehydrated feets..interesting...

Edited by tellybelly

This is where our feets treats come from. If I have them in the house, probably once a week, they each get a feet treat. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Our dogs love them as a treat. Dried feets are enthusiastically devoured quickly and joyfully.

:nod I get them from the same place as Wendy )GreyTzu). They show no preference between duck or chicken feet. They get them occasionally - I tend to forget I have them since they are stored in the utility room.:blush

I gave them fresh chicken feet once and they had no idea what to do with them. When Baer (my schnauzer) started eating his, the girls went back to theirs and sniffed them again but still didn't eat them!:rolleyes:

gallery_15555_2884_10764.jpg
Adrienne - with the kitties Tippy & Tyler Too

Missing my bridge angels Boo Zsee, Java Bean (Nitro Kristen), Zeeba and Baer the not-so-miniature schnauzer

Summit gets a dehydrated duck or chicken foot every night, and has for the last year. We have seen no ill effects whatsoever. It's his special bed time snack. He gets his teeth brushed, his eye drops, and then he eats his duck foot and goes to sleep. I usually give the duck feet because they're a little more substantial, but I also buy the chicken feet from time to time to mix things up a bit.

I have no experience with overly sensitive tummies. Summit has never had a problem with these and absolutely loves them. We get them from Nothing Added.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest greyers

Hahahaha.  I love that pic!! :eek:lol

I do have two concerns about going to a local Asian store and getting them fresh 

1) Rego is a huge gulper!  I have to saturate his food and add a kong because he takes the biggest amount of food in his mouth as he can and swallows in a single bite.  The only exception I have found is crunchy dehydrated treats or jerkey.  He will take a couple crunches first.  What if he tried to gulp the chicken foot in one gulp!!? I would worry he would choke?

2) any fresh type treats Pru will hold onto to save and if she can't bury it in her bed she just lays on the bone, treat, etc as a way to bury it and save for laterr. Only later never seems to come for her!

Guest Swifthounds

No, he won't be more likely to choke on the raw feet vs. dehydrated ones. The biggest factor in gulping feet is their size. If you're worried about gulping, offer them first with a firm grip on one end with a pair of pliers (not your hand) and go from there.

If you don't want treats saved, remove what isn't immediately consumed. Burying is natural behavior for dogs, but inconvenient in a multi dog household for many reasons.

Guest greyers

No, he won't be more likely to choke on the raw feet vs. dehydrated ones. The biggest factor in gulping feet is their size. If you're worried about gulping, offer them first with a firm grip on one end with a pair of pliers (not your hand) and go from there.

If you don't want treats saved, remove what isn't immediately consumed. Burying is natural behavior for dogs, but inconvenient in a multi dog household for many reasons.

Thank you! I might pick some up next time I am in the part of my city that has markets where I can find the raw.

Guest Swifthounds

Next time you're shopping at tour regular grocer, you might want to ask if they carry them or can order them - many can and will do so if someone asks. Shoprite, for example, carries them regularly but doesn't always put them out on the shelf. You also see them more in mid summer and fall at some places.

Guest greyers

Next time you're shopping at tour regular grocer, you might want to ask if they carry them or can order them - many can and will do so if someone asks. Shoprite, for example, carries them regularly but doesn't always put them out on the shelf. You also see them more in mid summer and fall at some places.

Thank you for the great suggestion. I will ask around after I am sure the boys tummy problems are at bay. We are almost there!