Sudden Onset Incontinence

Guest azlorenz

Guest azlorenz

Heading to vet with Elly this afternoon. She started night before last with sudden incontinence while sleeping. Ran a urine sample down last night. Results came in today with protein and lack of concentration. Thinking kidney disease, diabetes, what else can you all think of?????? I can't think of anything she could have gotten into.

Prayers and lots of then appreciated!!!!

Proteinuria is not an uncommon finding with a gh but, it does need to be followed up on. Was the urine sample you submitted a first morning catch?? If not it will be more dilute because I presume she was drinking water throughout the day.

Most importantly--how is she feeling? Those abnormalities mentioned in her urine may be incidental findings and she might just be spay intcontinent.

Keep us posted after her visit.

I'm absolutely NOT an expert in this, but I've had great luck adding pure cranberry juice to my cats' food. They don't mind at all, oddly, and so far no more UTIs. If what she has is a low-grade infection that might not be showing up in labs, this might help. Cantharis is also great to help with bladder irritation.

Good luck! This is no fun for either of you, I'm sure!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest azlorenz

Thanks for the ideas. Elly turned 4 Sept. 9th. I am floored. We adopted Elly on new years eve after losing Flash to osteo Nov 27 2010.

She has always been super lethargic even for a greyhound but in Feb 2011 her Chem 27 came back prefect. She has had a few skin issues included a slow to heal wound as well as allergies especially affecting her eyes.

I will keep you all posted. This SUCKS.

Off of the incontinence topic, did she have a TSH done? along with T4, it will tell you if she truly is hypothyroid. Opal is and at age 7 just went on thyroid meds. She has perked up so much. She wasn't low in her younger years, this is a relatively recent occurance. So once you figure out her incontinence issues, get a thyroid panel done.

Shannon, I am so sorry Elly isn't feeling well! I hope it's a simple UTI. I also agree with having her thyroid checked if it hasn't been done recently. Fletcher's was normal when it was checked at about 3 yrs old, but when it was checked again when he was about 6, it was low (not that he has ever been lethergic :rolleyes: )

:goodluck

Protein in the urine isn't going to be due to low thyroid. I'd focus on kidney function and get a blood pressure check as well. Is she taking any medications or supplements?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Any updates? How did the vet visit go?

Has Elly been drinking and urinating more than usual? Did your vet do bloodwork today? Especially if no other signs, I'd agree with tbhounds that this may be nothing more than spay incontinence.

Protein in the urine, especially in a dilute sample, is cause for concern, but the finding needs to be repeatable. If the proteinuria persists, the next step would be a urine protein:creatinine ratio.

If she continues to have problems, I would also consider tick-borne disease testing.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest azlorenz

They are running a CBC and Chem 27 as well as a culture of the pussy goo they got out of her hoo hoo. Poor baby girl. Sent her home with 14 days of Cipro. As long as all the blood work is OK, we are going to proceed with the Cipro and get her over the initial infection. Then we will start to investigate further. On Elly's original adoption group vet intake papers, the vet noted "clitoral hypertrophy." Sooooo, we are both thinking there is an abnormality causing some leaking that in turn is causing the infection. However, when our vet did her initial exam she saw the note the group vet had made and looked and made the comment that she didn't think it was "clitoral hypertrophy" at all. So possibly she is just terribly swollen from the infection.

Anyhoo, more than likely once we get her over the infection we are off to the urologist so he can run the scope and see exactly what is going on.

On Elly's original adoption group vet intake papers, the vet noted "clitoral hypertrophy." Sooooo, we are both thinking there is an abnormality causing some leaking that in turn is causing the infection.

This is a pretty common finding in female greys due to the testosterone they are given at the track to keep them from coming into heat. Usually doesn't cause UTIs.

I've seen a few dogs that show signs of incontinence when they have UTIs, which resolves after the UTI is treated, so hopefully that's all it is with Elly.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest azlorenz

I've seen a few dogs that show signs of incontinence when they have UTIs, which resolves after the UTI is treated, so hopefully that's all it is with Elly.

Oh how I hope and pray that is all it is. This is for the birds.

Just something to keep in mind if the other tests come up negative.....Cushings Disease. Nevadas first signs were hair loss & sudden incontinence. Hoping that its a simple issue.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest azlorenz

Just something to keep in mind if the other tests come up negative.....Cushings Disease. Nevadas first signs were hair loss & sudden incontinence. Hoping that its a simple issue.

Holy Cow. I'll bring that up if we don't get anywhere with the antibiotic. All her tests (thank goodness) came up pretty normal. All indicated an infection but nothing more.