Rawhide Bone Question

Mike516

Hello,

We've had Ginger for about a month now. She's our first dog so please forgive me if some of my questions are stupid.

Quick background:

She had a diarrhea issue in the very beginning that we have finally gotten sorted out I hope (knock wood). So, we've started reintroducing a couple of treats for her to have between meals that we combine with training. We started with a bland treat we got from our vet then gave her some milkbones and a chicken jerky-like thing which she loves and half a hard boiled egg a couple times a week. We introduced like one new thing every few days for a variety. So far so good, which makes me think it was a combination of things that first week that made her loose like a new food, she was just spayed and of course a whole new environment.

My questions:

We heard that the rawhides were rich and could contribute to the diarrhea so we withheld that until yesterday and gave it back to her. She chewed on it for about 20 minutes and we saw some pinkness where she was chewing so we figure her gums were bleeding a little bit. We took it away from her (you can take the food out of her mouth she's such a good dog) and checked her gums but don't see any obvious signs of cuts or blood. I know they don't give the dogs anything like these treats or do any kind of dental maintenance at the track so I thought maybe it's just because of that, weak gums or whatnot. I guess my question is are the rawhides good for them? Should we limit her time with it? She really likes it, I just want to make sure it's ok to let her keep it before I give it back to her.

On a side note does anyone give their dog dried or dehydrated yams? She likes those too but I'm hesitant to start with those again. I also heard the dehydrated or freeze dried or whatever duck treats are good for them. This is what we have so that's why I'm asking about these specifically.

Thanks.

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

Guest greyers

Hi mike. Welcome!

Personally I don't feed rawhides and I think there are probably many of us on this board who do not. For me it's the simple reason of choking (they sort of just get gummy and expand!) it also can be upsetting to some dogs tummies. My new boy Rego was recently given up after many years in a home and one of the reasons was upset tummy issues relating to rawhides. So none for us!

If your girl has sensitive tummy issues I would be careful and maybe only try one new thing a week. There are folks on this board who make and sell treats including some that are for dogs with allergies and such. So that might be an option too. Perhaps they can steer you toward one of their homeade formulas that have better results with upset tummies. Burpdog is one such company.

For longer lasting chews, we use bully sticks and sometimes trachea in our home. Also the pink you see is likely bleeding of the gums, even if you don't see any bleeding in her mouth.

Edited for clarity and spelling.

Also, scouts mom brought up duck treats and those we also use a lot! We typically will get duck jerky or chicken jerky (Costco has good prices) and they aren't full of a bunch of junk. Just meat. A lot of people on this board can help you too if you want to go the "raw" route and do raw meaty bones, etc.

Edited by greyers

Guest Scouts_mom

I agree with what the previous poster said about rawhides. We don't use them in my household. I tried the yam/sweet potato things. My hounds loved them, but the gas they then produced almost forced me to leave the house! Duck treats are very popular here with both the canines and the humans. Also we like the Petco Lamb and RIce Recipe Strips.

Guest KsFrets

We use the compressed rawhide bones and deer antlers. No problems. Their teeth look great, and the vet has even commented on them. If you do use rawhide, try to get HEAVY american rawhide. We stay away from the potato-chip ultra thin, very light, made in China crap that Pet Smart (etc...) sells doesn't last, and comes apart easily, and in big dangerous pieces.

my hounds do fine with the rolled rawhide bones. I toss them when they get smaller than 3" though, because I think there is a choking risk. I would stay away from the rawhide flip chips for the same reason.

my hounds do fine with the rolled rawhide bones. I toss them when they get smaller than 3" though, because I think there is a choking risk. I would stay away from the rawhide flip chips for the same reason.

This. Rolled rawhides can be ok, under close supervision. Don't give the knotted "bones" -- they come apart and the ends can be swallowed. Take them away BEFORE the treat gets small enough to fit completely inside the dog's mouth. Many people don't give rawhides at all because dogs do choke on them, and they can expand in the stomach/gut and cause blockages.

Bully sticks, tracheas, raw turkey necks and antlers can be safer choices. It's always good to watch when the dog has something that's a potential choking hazard, just like you would with a baby.

Guest Swifthounds

I don't give rawhides anymore for the reasons listed above and others (including but not limited to the fact that hide is nearly impossible to digest and that all of it, no matter where made is heavily chemically treated).

Try antler, bully sticks, or dried trachea for a safer, healthier option.

The bleeding gums is not a worry. Chewing is how dogs teeth get cleaned, unless you brush them every day. Over time, with chewing and/or brushing regularly, the gums will improve and the bleeding will lessen.

I give two of mine "Natural Balance" limited ingredients treats and I give the other a few if his "Science Diet" kibbles as treats. I have gone through many other treats and all of them have given them the big D or started problems with the IBD. I have finally learned my lesson and only give them what I know will not hurt them, absolutely talking no chances!

Guest FreddyGirl

try Merrick products suh as : flossies, wizzlers (I think they are called) and any bully sticks. you might want to try odor free bully sticks, trust me on this one! I am getting odor free next time. k. Your nose wil thank me.

I alsio buy dehydrated chicken and duck. You can also make your own, buy a dehydrator. With one dog, it is manageable to make your own.

Sam's Yam's dried sweet potato treats ("Veggie Rawhide") are another good thing to chew -- Beth has a very sensitive stomach and is fine with those (well, half of a regular sized one). FWIW I do have to order them online.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Melissa516

try Merrick products suh as : flossies, wizzlers (I think they are called) and any bully sticks. you might want to try odor free bully sticks, trust me on this one! I am getting odor free next time. k. Your nose wil thank me.

I alsio buy dehydrated chicken and duck. You can also make your own, buy a dehydrator. With one dog, it is manageable to make your own.

We actually own a dehydrator (for making beef jerky for the humans), so maybe I'll give that a try!

Guest FreddyGirl

I used to "dry" Tilapia for my Bobbi to add to her food to get her to eat. she was a REALLY tough one to feed. Robin and rich used to do it for Beau, that's where I got the idea from becuase Bobbi used to scarf down those treats, my 3 others used to love it too!

Guest jbbuzby

Rawhides are one of those things that I think depend on the dog and the owner's comfort. With me, Ferguson LOVES his rawhides, and has never had a problem with them. I only give him the tightly rolled or compressed American Made ones, but it is one of his top 3 activities and keeps him sane, so I wouldn't dream of banning them. We too, removed them when they get to be about 3 inches long. However, he is a very conscious chewer, and he only has them while under supervision. For other dogs I've had in the past, namely doofy Labradors, I would likely not let them have rawhide; they are extreme gulpers and not so sensible about the size of things they put in their mouths.

Ferguson did not do at all well on bully sticks, even higher quality ones (always resulting in the big D) and they never lasted more than a few minutes...and talk about $$$. He liked trachea, but it also only lasted about 5 minutes. He has an antler which he liked for a day or two, but now has little interest in it, even after re-soaking it in hot water as it instructs. Ferguson also enjoys the very occasional busy bone, though that also has its own set of controversies as well.

As for your girl's gums, it's very common for them to bleed; this is just like people if you didn't brush your teeth for a few days. They bleed less the more they chew, and is nothing to worry about. If you do choose to remove rawhides, another great way to keep her teeth clean is by feeding raw turkey necks. Sounds gross, but the racing hounds are used to eating raw meat, and the bones scrape off tarter build up.

Good luck! I hope you figure out what works best for the both of you.

Ok, I think the dry chicken tender things had a somewhat stinky negative side effect. We wanted to try it again because she loves them and I agree with the people who say they need some variety to keep things interesting (not to mention we have a big bag of them left still). But an hour or so later, she'd walk by and you'd think she had an accident lol. She didn't seem to mind the smell but I think we'll try the duck instead anyway (I'm glad we bought the small bag of those just in case they give her gas also). In the short time she had the rawhide, I can already see it (you could hear it also as she chewed on it) splintering so maybe I'll have to toss that.

i used to let the dogs have thin rawhide or compress american made rawhide bones....then a batch came in and one of them got sick. raw marrow bones or kongs for my guys. bully sticks always make my dogs puke :puke, dehydrated tendons i question their origin(county not animal) and they are really costly around here.

Guest KennelMom

I never saw much dental benefit to rawhides...the rawhide softens up and won't do much to scrape teeth clean. Might polish already clean teeth pretty well though LOL Dogs might enjoy them, but I think there are much better/healthier options that make dog and human happy. I do have a couple big rolled rawhides in our arsenal of dog stuff b/c the keep for a long time and "you never know" when you might need to occupy a dog and a raw bone isn't an option.

side note: there are racing kennels and farms who give bones for dental maintenance.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I let mine chew on a large rolled rawhide once in a blue moon; except for Chelsa because although she is dainty and slow with everything else she eats, she somehow manages to consume half a rawhide in the time it takes Jewels (and now Neon, too) to barely get theirs drooly! Probably why we almost never give them; treat time works best around here if everyone has the exact same item. Raw beef knuckle bones, partially frozen, are the chew item we most often give.

Lila loves Sam's Yams sweet potato chews! She does get gassy after having one if she hasn't had one in a while. When she is getting them more regularly they don't give her the stinkies. I think her belly just has to get used to them.

I give her the Big Boyz ones. She gets through the regular size ones too quickly.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Bully sticks seem to be a popular choice here, so we picked up an extra large one the other day and she loved it. I think we'll have to limit her to half an hour or so because I think she'd have eaten the whole thing in one sitting if we'd have let her lol.

Guest Melissa516

Yes... Ginger ended up loving the bully stick. Although it was really funny at first, because it's so long, she wasn't sure what to do with it. Dragging it across the hardwood floor made scary noises, which made her drop it causing even more scary noises! But it's so tasty... what's a girl to do? She finally got it onto the bed... scary noise problem solved.

By the way, whats the consensus on the greenie things. I've never bought them, but I seem to recall people not liking them for various reasons. They splinter? Or the dogs aggressively guarded them? Can't really remember.

Yes... Ginger ended up loving the bully stick. Although it was really funny at first, because it's so long, she wasn't sure what to do with it. Dragging it across the hardwood floor made scary noises, which made her drop it causing even more scary noises! But it's so tasty... what's a girl to do? She finally got it onto the bed... scary noise problem solved.

I'm glad I don't have the only dog who scares herself by dropping treats on the floors.

Such sensitive girls! :P

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).