Well, Uh, This Is Sort Of Embarrassing..

OK, don't laugh, feel like a perv posting this picture. But we have only had one female dog ever (Brandee) and her "business end" looked totally different from our new dog Skyler.

She is about six weeks off the track and we got her at the end of the first week after she had just been spayed. When we picked her up we noticed Charley sniffing about much

more than he ever did with Brandee. When we had a look this is pretty much what we saw...see photo.

skyler_business_end.jpg

Now Brandee had all her "business" inside tucked away and not visible so we were a bit concerned. The foster lady thought it might be something to do with the spay, and figured

it would return to normal. I took this picture today and it still looks the same weeks later. So for you who have female dogs, have you ever seen this before and is this normal or

anything to be concerned about?

Probably normal. Gracie's girl parts looked like that and went away a few months after her spay. ;)

Just tell Charlie that's Skyler's brake light.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I have heard in animals that the bright red "showing" is to tell the males that she's "ready". After a spay, do they still have horomones racing around the bodies for a few weeks? I have no idea otherwise though.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My suspicion would be this is vulvar hypertrophy. The vulva enlarges due to the hormones recieved on the track to suppress estrus. IIRC, after the bitch is off the hormones for a while, and spayed, it will normalize on its own. Might not hurt to call a Greyhound-savvy vet and discuss it, though.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

My wife and I recently adopted a female (4 weeks ago today) and it was the day after her spaying. I don't know if you're seeing this also but every now and then she would have a tiny drop of blood in that area which was occurring for about a week and a half or so. We consulted our vet and he said it could be from the spaying but to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't stop we'd have to take steps. That stopped after about 2 weeks.

I also read somewhere that they give them something at the track while they're racing that makes that area become somewhat swollen, as it is in our girl as well, which will either go down or it won't, but it's not as swollen as Skyler's appears in that picture. We consult with our vet about everything unusual or anything that concerns us but that may be because we're so new at this and we overreact but that would be my advice.

Edit: Ah yes, Sighthounds4me posted it while I was writing lol - it's hormones that they give them.

Edited by Mike516

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

Guest FijiHound

This happened to my little terrier almost 10 years ago and for the life of me can't remember what the details were! The vet sorted it out quick snap but I definitely remember no panicking - so it can't have been a big problem! Grrrrr to my memory!!!

I believe it's called clitoral hypertrophy.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/faq/#clitoral_hypertrophy

I had a foster who had it and it caused recurring UTIs - it wasn't going away on its own, so we opted for the surgery to correct it.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Gee's was that way her entire life, even after her spay and the stopping of hormones. It didn't cause her any problems at all.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

15. Many female Greyhounds have a condition known as clitoral hypertrophy, which is caused by testosterone injections given at the racetrack to prevent cycling. This condition is usually benign and does not require treatment; however, in some hounds it is associated with lower urinary tract problems (frequent, painful urination; straining to urinate; recurrent urinary tract infections) and it may require surgical correction. However, she may indeed be a hermafrodite. (Back)

One of my girls was like that. My vet called her a hermafrodite. She had a little penis back there.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest KennelMom

Others have nailed it. Tater is like this...shows up really obviously on a black dog! :lol We've had some females that it went away after some time off the track, but years later Tater still has her little red button.

Just tell Charlie that's Skyler's brake light.

:lol

It's not often that a post in Health and Medical makes me laugh.

Glad it doesn't sound serious.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

My suspicion would be this is vulvar hypertrophy. The vulva enlarges due to the hormones recieved on the track to suppress estrus. IIRC, after the bitch is off the hormones for a while, and spayed, it will normalize on its own. Might not hurt to call a Greyhound-savvy vet and discuss it, though.

Yup- clitoral hypertrophy due to the hormones given during her racing career. Things should normalize in time.

Would love to see her otherside please!

Yup- clitoral hypertrophy due to the hormones given during her racing career. Things should normalize in time.

Would love to see her otherside please!

Of course, here is her beautiful face!

Hipstamatic_skyler_b&w.jpg

Thanks for all the answers everybody!

Guest FullMetalFrank

We got Jewels right after her spay (she still had her sutures in) and she looked the same; she's returned more to "normal" now. :lol She did need a little help keeping the area clean at first; just a wipe with a paper towel mistened with warm water after she went potty kept things tidy. :rolleyes: I think that in females whose "issues" don't resolve on their own, and who end up with a propensity for UTI's, not being able to keep themselves clean and dry might have something to do with that. There is a "tuck" surgical procedure that remedies things if they have chronic UTI's; I'd try the cleaning after every potty break route first.