Do Greyhounds Make Good First Dogs?

I've had Tracker for 1.5 years now w/o and without exception (well, almost, but that's tiny tiny stuff) have not had any problems with him and couldn't have asked for a better dog. He's my first dog (though I volunteered at the local SPCA as a dog walker for 8 months, which was a revelation). Today a dog walker commented on that that was amazing, to adopt a greyhound as a first dog (in terms of this being a potentially challenging dog breed for a beginner). And she's walked and boarded a few over the years. So... have I just been lucky that Tracker is so easy?? I've been on Greytalk since I got him and it's always been my impression that yes, by all means, greyhounds would be great for beginners because they are so easy going!

Just wondering...

Guest jbbuzby

I think they are wonderful for beginners! I've also found many people who aren't very familiar with them have very off misconceptions about them. The high energy one is one I get a lot.

Ultimately, I am a believer in "fulfilling" dogs in regards to their basic needs. Most owners, I've found, while well-meaning, have a very difficult time doing/understanding this about their pets. That is, they adopt a high energy Labrador pup and wonder why it chews on things when they give it a 30 minute walk each day, come to find that the dog actually needs about 3 times day to even begin to be sane. Don't get me wrong, I love Labradors! But they are working dogs and need a "job."

Greyhounds, I think, are much easier to satisfy, as they are used to sprinting, being with other dogs...and that's about it. Yes, walking is important, but 30 minutes for the average hound is typically sufficient. Additionally, they are bred to be docile and compliant for the sake of ease at the track. Even if you don't "fulfill" your hound, they won't typically exhibit the same problem behaviors as other breeds: hyper activity, aggression, etc. This is not to say these behaviors don't exist in them, but they do seem less frequent than in other breeds. I work with dogs for a living and chose the greyhound because, *gasp* I am lazy. I wanted my own pet dog to be as low maintenance and easy as possible that would reflect my own lifestyle. While I have trained many great dogs that I have loved, having to walk them every day for 90 minutes to keep them sane is just not what I'd want for my own pet!

So, no, I think you made a greyt choice :).

Just like with any dog breed, there are individuals that are challenging and individuals that are easy-going. IMO, you have a better chance of a greyhound doing well with a first-time adopter since most groups vet there dogs fairly well and can match personalities and life-styles. Plus, the dogs are mostly adults, with (mostly) fixed characteristics, and a (mostly) known history, that make matching more successful than with a puppy or shelter dog.

Again, it's just my opinion, but most of the time, returns by first-time adopters are more due to the problems with the people rather than wth the dog. They are either unwilling to put the time in to work through problems to a good solution, or had unrealistic expectations to begin with that no dog could meet.

If first-time adopters - of any dog, not just greyhounds - go in with the attitude that they will learn as much from the dog as the dog learns from them, they will have a wonderful experience.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greyers

I think overall Greys are good for beginners. But it really does depend on the person. Greyhounds come with their own set of specific needs that are often different than other breeds. For me they are typically an "easy" breed because they usually don't have the habits I find annoying and a pain to train out of many breeds. I don't care for breeds that are barkers, jumpers, super high energy or lickers. Greyhounds typically are none of those so as far as behaviors go I find them easier than many breeds and good for many beginners.

I'm so enamored with greys that I have a hard time imagining anybody could NOT be happy with one, so I'm not very objective! But looked at from somebody's perspective who loves high energy dogs, dogs that are DYING to work with you and being told what to do, and slobber all over you with excitement, many greyhound individuals may seem, well, a little stubborn and "hard to train", and lacking a certain motivation to cooperate enthusiastically, I guess... which is just one of the many traits that I adore about greys...

Today a dog walker commented on that that was amazing, to adopt a greyhound as a first dog (in terms of this being a potentially challenging dog breed for a beginner). And she's walked and boarded a few over the years.

What were the traits that made this person feel that greys are a challenging dog breed for a beginner? As jbbuzby mentioned, many people have misconceptions about the breed. But if this dog walker has had some personal experience with greys, I'm wondering what about those dogs made her feel they wouldn't be good first dogs?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I think overall Greys are good for beginners. But it really does depend on the person. Greyhounds come with their own set of specific needs that are often different than other breeds. For me they are typically an "easy" breed because they usually don't have the habits I find annoying and a pain to train out of many breeds. I don't care for breeds that are barkers, jumpers, super high energy or lickers. Greyhounds typically are none of those so as far as behaviors go I find them easier than many breeds and good for many beginners.

You described me with your post. I'm not fond of droolers, lickers, barkers, etc., etc. I also prefer dogs with short hair. I just like the look of a Greyhound. They're beautiful and interesting. Also, how many breeds stand patiently and oh-so-easily for a tooth brushing, ear cleaning, nail clipping, etc., at least right at the start?

Walking Annie Bella is always a treat. She gets attention wherever we go and people find out what a wonderful pet Greyhounds make.

Guest KennelMom

Generally, I think they're good for beginners, but they aren't the breed for everyone. Some people like long hair or dogs that "go" all the time or <insert non-greyhound trait here.>. Those folks might be disappointed in a greyhound, even if they're novice owners.

Guest KsFrets

Having grown up on a farm, and having more dogs than I can remember on into adulthood... lets see... Dalmatian, beagle, Irish setter, Great Dane, Bassets, etc, and an endless assortments of mixed breeds... I'll never forget my introduction to a friend's greyhound over 20 years ago... I though where have they been all my life!? I think they make the perfect beginner dog, and the perfect dogs for dog owners who have just about given up on finding a perfect dog, and a perfect dog for older folks who love dogs... or anyone who loves dogs but hate yippiehypersnortinguptailshedders. Other than the possible stray or foster that may come into our home, it's greyhounds for us from now on.

Sparks was my first and I got very lucky. He was perfect.

I always say that if Passion had been my first, I never would have adopted another. She's alittle high maintence :lol

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest RealClearBlue

I'm a recent greyhound adopter and I have to agree with everyone else that greyhounds make great first dogs. My girlfriend and I never took care of a dog as adult. We both had dogs as children but being the sole providers for the dogs was not something we ever had to deal with. Even though I had some anxiety about bringing our first dog into our house and studied everything I could about greyhounds, I have to say I don't have one iota of regret about our decision to adopt Howie and I always say that he is like the perfect dog for someone like me and as a first time adopter. I have to give credit to the local GPA group too for helping us find the right dog for our situation. Before we met 4 potential dogs, the person I talked to from the group was really keen on Howie fitting my situation before I even met the dogs. I was partial to other dogs too but when I finally met all the dogs and saw how much Howie like us I ended up picking him anyways.

Given that he is a bit older and been in a home before he is VERY well behaved. I haven't had one trash raid, counter-surf or accident yet. I couldn't have asked for a better dog. Also as a bonus while Howie is very noise sensitive and skittish to some degree to sudden noises it also has the bonus effect of making him somewhat of a guard dog. He barks, and this is the only time he ever barks, whenever someone approaches our door and even before they get to the door he is up and alert.

Edited by RealClearBlue

Today a dog walker commented on that that was amazing, to adopt a greyhound as a first dog (in terms of this being a potentially challenging dog breed for a beginner). And she's walked and boarded a few over the years.

What were the traits that made this person feel that greys are a challenging dog breed for a beginner? As jbbuzby mentioned, many people have misconceptions about the breed. But if this dog walker has had some personal experience with greys, I'm wondering what about those dogs made her feel they wouldn't be good first dogs?

You know, I don't know. The dog walker was on her way out, so I didn't pursue it. Maybe she's not met many greys in her life time (we live in a rural area where most people have retrievers/cattle dogs) and the grey individuals she did met happened to be a little higher maintenance, not sure.

Depends on the DOG as much as the person I think. I cannot imagine anyone having MY greyhound as their first dog. He was a bit of a nightmare for the first year.

I did my research in advance, thought I knew what I was getting into, and found that he is NOTHING like any other dog I've ever had, and I believe that most first time dog owners would have sent him back to the adoption group. Heaven knows I thought about it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BlingDogs

YES!

Dory was my first dog ever and we are inseperable. As long as you do your homework, there will be no unpleasant surprises and you will have a wonderful companion!

I think they would be great first dogs. There are always exceptions, but you asked a general question so I'm giving you a general answer :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Like others have said, it depends on the dog and on the person. Jayne has been a perfect first dog for me. She's lazy and low maintenance, so when I have worked all day and have to study all night, she's content to snooze the evening away, as long as I don't forget her dinner. On the other hand, when I have something planned for us to do she's always there and ready to go and keep busy all day.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Spud was my first dog for all intents and purporses.

He had separation anxiety, developed fear aggression, and has GI issues. :lol He also has some behavioral 'quirks.' ;)

For me he was perfect, but those first six month were hellish at times. He is literally the reason I do what I do (going to school to be a vet tech) but geez, he was not the easiest dog in the world.

Having said that, most of the grey owners I know had a really wonderful first experience. We did too, but our definition of wonderful may be a little skewed. :lol

Depends on the DOG as much as the person I think. I cannot imagine anyone having MY greyhound as their first dog. He was a bit of a nightmare for the first year.

I did my research in advance, thought I knew what I was getting into, and found that he is NOTHING like any other dog I've ever had, and I believe that most first time dog owners would have sent him back to the adoption group. Heaven knows I thought about it!

Agreed. Depends on the person and the dog. I have 6. Only one of them, my first Beau would have (and was) a greyt first dog. All the others had/have other issues.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest TBSFlame

I'm so enamored with greys that I have a hard time imagining anybody could NOT be happy with one, so I'm not very objective! But looked at from somebody's perspective who loves high energy dogs, dogs that are DYING to work with you and being told what to do, and slobber all over you with excitement, many greyhound individuals may seem, well, a little stubborn and "hard to train", and lacking a certain motivation to cooperate enthusiastically, I guess... which is just one of the many traits that I adore about greys...

I so agree with you!!!

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

I've had Tracker for 1.5 years now w/o and without exception (well, almost, but that's tiny tiny stuff) have not had any problems with him and couldn't have asked for a better dog. He's my first dog (though I volunteered at the local SPCA as a dog walker for 8 months, which was a revelation). Today a dog walker commented on that that was amazing, to adopt a greyhound as a first dog (in terms of this being a potentially challenging dog breed for a beginner). And she's walked and boarded a few over the years. So... have I just been lucky that Tracker is so easy?? I've been on Greytalk since I got him and it's always been my impression that yes, by all means, greyhounds would be great for beginners because they are so easy going!

Just wondering...

Gino, a greyhound, was my first dog, as well. I waited 22 years for him. That's because, for almost 22 years (probably as soon as I developed the ability to walk and write), I begged my parents and "Santa" for a dog at least annually (I would hand over a Christmas list, per their request, with nothing written on it except "dog". :lol) Never got that dog, though, in my, um, dependent years. But the wait was worth it.

Greyhounds, even more than your average dog, will teach you so much about life, the world, and peoples' dynamics. Insight into the greyhound world has shown me the good, the bad, and the in-between. Every time there is a greyhound-related article in the paper, guess what? It's in my mailbox, courtesy of my Mom, within a week. That probably wouldn't happen if I had most other dogs. Greyhounds are the kind of breed that makes one wake up and live. :beatheart So, they are certainly the best first dog, in my opinion, especially for a (responsible) young person just starting on their journey.

Congrats on your new-ish addition!

I definitely think greyhounds are a good "first dog". I do agree that greyhounds are not for everyone, but they are the best choice for us! As much as I love some other breeds, I just don't have the time or patience to deal with a slobbering, chewing, energetic lab, golden, husky, etc.

DBF's dad (a lab/golden kinda guy) has come over to let Rhythm out a few times, and every time is surprised and confused that he just lays around or doesn't want to play. He's just being a greyhound, which I love!

Our greys are our first dogs as adults. (We both grew up with dogs around but weren't really responsible for caring for them.) I think they're wonderful first dogs. I also think they're fantastic first dogs for "cat people". I think that anybody who is sensitive to other's needs - empathetic people - would do great with our sensitive breed. I love that I can direct my dogs with a slight touch and sometimes even a look. That makes them soooo much easier to live with than a breed that you have to shove around and yell at. (Which isn't to say I don't *occasionally* yell at my dogs. But only big crimes get a yell, like chasing the cat. :lol )

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest mirinaaronsmom

My first greyhound, Aaron, was also my first dog. I waited 23 years for him. We never had pets while I was growing up because my mom was scared to death of dogs. I'd had thoroughbreds that were x-racers and when I heard that you could also get dogs that had raced, I set my heart on one, but just never seemed to get around to checking into it. When my mom went to heaven in 2007, it dawned on me that now was a good time to get my greyhound, and I did. I love that they are not puppies and usually don't have the puppy issues to deal with. I love that they're quiet and elegant and big and so easy to care for. I'm thankful that adoption groups are so good at matching a hound with a person. If Mojo had been my first hound, I don't think I could have handled him - he's not a typical grey, but after adopting and fostering a few, I guess I was ready for him. I can't imagine having another breed, although I sometimes think it would be nice to have a protective dog.