Ten Years Today

RhodyGreys

The first greyhound I ever adopted was not Cooper: no, my first hound was a handsome 4 year old dark brindle named Hobo's Hawkeye (Simon). He came home with me in late June 1996 and 12 hours later my landlady changed her mind about allowing a second dog. So I had to return him to the kennel, but I also gave notice to my landlady. Initially, I hoped the group could hold Simon for a month. As fate would have it, a family walked in just as I was returning him. They needed cat safe. I had two cats.

Flash forward: two months later, I had moved. I walked into the adoption kennel and a family was there returning the big brindle boy they had adopted a year before. I didn't hear the rest of what they said: I was awestruck. It was love at first sight.

image-41.jpg

As it turned out, I brought Superdog (Char Super) home on his 6th birthday, August 26, 1996. I renamed him Cooperdog, and I would have 5 years with him, only 5 short years, but he taught me everything I know about greyhounds today. He went to the second Dewey Beach with me, he went to the Falmouth, MA Christmas Parade with me in 1996, where I met my future husband (now my ex). Had they ever met, I know that Cooper and my current husband would have adored each other.

Cooper introduced me to the world of racing owners and trainers who love their dogs. Cooper taught me patience, that a long walk (or drive) is sometimes the best medicine, and that you should dance when you are happy to get a meal, see your best friend, or just generally be alive.

In the end, I have Cooper to thank for every one of the greyhounds with me today and every one of the greyhounds who I have fostered and placed. I also believe that he held himself together and stoic for me as I lost my Lucky, (the Ex's first boy) to bone cancer. At Dewey in 2001, my mother took Cooper to a reiki session for me. That night, he immediately began to evidence pain. Less than 3 weeks later, he was gone. It was likely hemangiosarcoma that took him from me: the x-rays were clear that there was a mass, and we tried antibiotics, hoping for an infection, but we never biopsied. All I know is that on the last morning, Cooper peed a river of blood, and when I tried to lift him up the stairs, he tried to bite me, which was about as un-Cooperlike as you could ever get. When our vet came, a man facing cancer himself, he looked at Cooper and cried. He said he knew Cooper was full of tumors.

Xan did a beautiful portrait for me, several years ago during a portrait marathon.

CapeGreys-Cooper-WL1.jpg

I have loved other greyhounds. I have cried at their loss. But I have never been as deeply shocked, wounded, and broken as when I lost Cooper. Ten years ago today.

Memoriam Veritas

Written upon the passing of Cooper, 10/24/01

As you slip beyond the clouds of memory,

Know this final gift has cost my heart.

No greater loss, no misery, no tragedy

Could pierce my soul with depth no words can chart.

You lived to love, and gave us pure devotion,

No less devotion can I then return

Though thinking of you now brings mixed emotions,

And causes tears of grief to form and burn.

My prince, my true companion in adventures,

I set you free to soar on winds of change.

I cannot hold you back, nor can I censure

The pain that carves a scar shaped from your name.

Forever, love, run free of pain and sorrow,

I'll dream of you each night for all my years.

And if my end should come next year, tomorrow,

I'll run to meet you, blinded by my tears.

As you slip beyond the clouds of memory,

Look back once so that you may remember me...

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

What a heartwarming tribute to your boy.

Rest well, handsome Cooper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Beautiful tribute to your :heart dog. I'm sure he is smiling down on you today - just as his portrait portrays.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

What a heart-felt memorial for your beloved boy. Cooper was a lucky boy to have been adopted by you. That painting of Cooper is an absolutely gorgeous way to remember him, a wonderful keepsake. They stay sooo close to our hearts. We are so fortunate to have known our beloved family members. Tears here too...