Wound Frustration...

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

Jewels had a pretty huge tear to the skin over her back in last weekend's altercation; the flap that was torn was at least 8x8 inches. Her vet did a really nice job of patching her up; and most of her suture/staple lines look very good. However... There is a hole, where her drain came through, that is also a spot where he was unable to quite pull enough skin together to close it better. It's not getting any smaller, she doesn't want to leave it alone so I must keep her in a tshirt; and I worry that it not being out in the open air more might be slowing healing. She's going to see her vet tomorrow for more laser therapy and I am going to ask him about maybe going back and trimming the edges a bit and seeing if he can close it up now. I am pretty certain that option will be prohibitively expensive and if he has to put her under again, we won't do it. I'd post a pic but she's all dressed up in her tshirt for the evening. I'll snap one at the vet appt. tommorow. The open area is a little bigger than a quarter, and I am fairly sure it will eventually granulate in but it is worrying me right now. :( Any thoughts/advice on the timeframe for healing in a wound like this? It's not like it's just a freestanding "hole" but is surrounded by sutured-together tissue and I am sure that's not helping. She is on Clavamox, Baytril, and Clindamycin one for another week and the others for 3 more days. Nothing seems to be infected.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

My lost boy, Kobie, had a 6" tear in his side that had to be trimmed and stitched (no drainage tubes) and he had to wear a t-shirt for several weeks. Given how loose the shirt was, I wasn't worried about the stitches healing. It did leak for quite a while, but fortunately the shirt collected the serum he was oozing (no infection!).

So long as the t-shirt is really loose I should think it would not slow down the healing process, it didn't for my boy. Could they use skin glue (whatever that stuff is) and a butterfly to pull it and hold it together while it knits? You would have to probably replace the butterfly daily, but a box of butterflies is sure a lot cheaper than more surgery.

Sending your girl healing thoughts.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

See what the vet thinks but from your description I would probably just let it be. After a week I wouldn't expect it to be getting much smaller, and if there was a drain in there it will take some time to heal. Wouldn't worry about air getting to it -- things heal just fine and possibly better when they are moist.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

I'd let it be. It may take time, but it will heal.

Scout took a few months to fully heal this large wound, which couldn't be completely closed in surgery - it was sutured on two sides to close it as much as possible(this is a couple weeks post-surgery)

3475640669_16903b50b0.jpg

We ran water over it several times a day and then applied bag balm to encourage granulation. Some vets will recommend sugar or honey as well.

Edited by KennelMom

Our vet often recommended putting a t-shirt on when Kasey would scratch a lot for his allergies. The vet though would always tell us t-shirt for comforting, t-shirt for preventing licking, t-shirt this t-shirt that. I second the T-shirt idea but check with the vet if it's ok for it to be against the wound.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest KennelMom

You can see a little bit of it in the picture, but Scout had a collection of T-shirts that we rotated through daily to keep a clean one on her. It kept the wound from picking up dirt or fuzz or whatever else was floating around or from getting snagged on anything/anyone. Also kept the bag balm from getting on everything. I don't think it really precluded it from getting enough airflow to slow down healing...A thin cotton shirt is pretty breathable. I think we kept it on her until it was just about closed...the size of a half dollar, maybe?

Guest BrianRke

Diamond had a large tear on her leg last year. There wasnt enough skin there to stitch or staple it. The vet wrapped it and I brought her back every 3 days for 6 weeks to have it re-wrapped. It took about 3 months to fully heal.

I would expect a drain site to take a long time to heal personally. I would keep an eye for infection of course and keep it clean and I would expect it to slowly granulate closed

but even in people these things can take a long time.

deb

Guest Swifthounds

How large is the open portion? If it's larger, you might be able to try a wet to dry bandage to both cover the wound and encourage granulation. IME the granulation is faster that way than open or with honey, etc.

With my own hound we sutured as much closed as possible, did wet to dry for the remainder and then chose after the granulation was looking good, to put het under again and close because we had enough skin to do so at that point. You can let an open spot granulate, but the skin will usually be thinner than if you can suture closed and it does take longer.

I have to say, I did get tons of advice on coverings and t shirts, but I don't have much experience there as all of my hounds leave wounds - bandaged or not - alone. People teased me to teaching the command "no bandie" but it works for us. Now a small superficial scrape on a foot, all bets are off....

Guest FullMetalFrank

Thanks for the advice, I suppose I am being a little impatient! I will try not to worry. I forget sometimes that things do not always happen on MY schedule. :rolleyes:

Poor Jewels. :(

Initially, I tend to use a combo of sterile saline wound wash or Neosporin (foamy) wound cleaner -- both "no sting" or burn; as well as Derma-vet Ointment (typical antibiotic type of ointment from the vet).

But my favorite ointment (recommended by my pet sitter) is Young Living Animal Scents Ointment Young Living link -- an essential oils ointment that is similar in texture and color to Bag Balm.

I have used it many times and continue to be very, very impressed. :yay

Last week, my two old boys quarreled over licking an empty food bowl (sigh) and one bit the other near the shoulder blade. The one who got the short straw is on Clavamox and after a few days of cleaning and Derma-vet ointment, I have now transitioned to the Animal Scents ointment. Also I give a little spoonful of Manuka Honey to help with the healing.

Also my vet has used cold laser and/or surgical glue on some wounds depending on the location.

Good luck. I hope Jewels heals without any complications.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

• 1 month later...
Guest FullMetalFrank

Well, it's nearly 2 months post injury and I thought I'd post a photo of my girl's boo-boo as it looked two days ago. She still has the teensiest of an open wound; it is finally scabbed over and I expect it to be closed within a week. jewelsowiedec1.jpg

You can see faint lines where the skin tear was; once her hair is all grown back in I expect all we'll see is the triangle shaped scar at the top and a small scar where the open part was. No more t-shirts and no more sanitary pads and wound flushes twice a day, she's been such a good girl thru it.

I'd let it be. It may take time, but it will heal.

Scout took a few months to fully heal this large wound, which couldn't be completely closed in surgery - it was sutured on two sides to close it as much as possible(this is a couple weeks post-surgery)

3475640669_16903b50b0.jpg

We ran water over it several times a day and then applied bag balm to encourage granulation. Some vets will recommend sugar or honey as well.

Yes, my vet had me use a sugar paste to help heal an open wound on a leg that couldn't be stitched. Left a scar but it doesn't bother her at all! Amazed me how well it worked.

Guest sirsmom

When one of ours had something like that we just were told to keep applying a compress of Betadine and water twice a day and it did heal finally (this dog was diabetic)

Guest verthib

Full metal frank, it looks great! How did the wound occur? Also someone mentioned using betadine compresses. Do NOT use that. Betadine is an antiseptic to be used for quick cleaning. Not continued used. It kills healthy cells and stunts healing when applied long term. I have first hand experience with that.

Well, it's nearly 2 months post injury and I thought I'd post a photo of my girl's boo-boo as it looked two days ago. She still has the teensiest of an open wound; it is finally scabbed over and I expect it to be closed within a week. jewelsowiedec1.jpg

You can see faint lines where the skin tear was; once her hair is all grown back in I expect all we'll see is the triangle shaped scar at the top and a small scar where the open part was. No more t-shirts and no more sanitary pads and wound flushes twice a day, she's been such a good girl thru it.

Wow, great job! I can't believe how all that fur grew back, that's great. She had a very good nurse!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014