Facial Swelling Part 2

Thursday night Bama had an episode of facial swelling: original thread

Friday night, the same thing happened, only the swelling was more "droopy" and under his jaw. Both times I gave him benadryl & the swelling subsided, although early Saturday he still had traces of it under his jaw. He had eaten Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice; we only started it a few days ago, Wednesday, I think.

Yesterday I gave him canned food (Retriever Chicken & Rice) that I'd picked up in Tractor Supply just as a one-time thing because it was cheap. He ate it with no reaction whatsoever. Today I went out & got a bag of TOTW Lamb, but I haven't fed him yet. Previously I'd been doing rotation with all the TOTW flavors, and he was fine. But I changed to 4Health for a couple of bags when TOTW suddenly jumped $10 in price. Then I went to buy food and they were out of 4Health, so I got the Diamond Naturals, which, I've read, is practically identical.

But I've been wavering back & forth as to whether it's an allergy to the food, or something with his salivary gland. Could a food allergy manifest itself as one-sided swelling? If it were the gland or duct, wouldn't the saliva continue to collect, or would it be absorbed? If he were allergic to chicken, he would've swelled with the canned food too, right?

I am going to have to bring him to the vet regardless. If he has an allergy to some unknown substance, I want to have an epi-pen for him just in case. But am I really dealing with an allergy, or is it something to do with his gland? How would they (vets) make the diagnosis?

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

My guy had surgery last year for a torn salivary gland but his tore on the inside so it wasn't visible. Before we figured it out he would go through periods of strained breathing that would suddenly clear up. It wasn't until I caught it on video that I could explain it to my vet. Therefore, I do think it's possible a torn gland could fill and drain but that is just a guess.

I think anything is possible with any brand of dog food. It may not be the protein source, but some other ingredient or an ingredient used in the processing.

We always thought that Rocket was allergic to Poultry based foods because he would have issues on Chicken and Duck. It turned out that it was something specific to each brand of food that casued the issue. He has been on a different chicken-based food for months with none of the effects that the other foods had. He is actually thriving on the new food, with a better coat and no stomach issues like he had on the others.

Sometimes, it just takes finding the food that works for your pup. Rocket also did great on the TOTW Lamb for over a year until all of a sudden he developed Big D and started losing weight. The vet could find no problem and all of his labs were normal.

All of the problems at that time started with a new bag of TOTW and the only thing that rectified it was getting off of TOTW (none of the formulas helped after that) and going to the current food. There had to have been some change in an ingredient or process that he couldn't handle. We subsequently learned of other dogs who developed similar issues around the same time. Other dogs that we know of thrive on TOTW, so it just becomes a matter of trial and error.

Hope you get to the bottom of it and that your pup is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I've never heard of a dog reacting in that fashion with a food allergy. Typically it's itching.

Doesn't sound like it, but my old dog got some sort of bug bite/sting and he looked like a Shar Pei for a while until the Benadryl kicked in.

I'd have your vet check him out this week.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I've never heard of a dog reacting in that fashion with a food allergy. Typically it's itching.

Doesn't sound like it, but my old dog got some sort of bug bite/sting and he looked like a Shar Pei for a while until the Benadryl kicked in.

So you think maybe it's just a coincidence that he swelled after he ate the food? Maybe it was swelling from a bug bite coming back because the benadryl wore off?

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

The same thing happened to our bridge boy, Phantom. He snapped down on a bee while lounging in the grass one day, and his poor face swelled so much his eyes were just slits. The Benedryl helped, but it took a couple of days before his face stopped swelling once it wore off. We ended up taking him to the vet to get a cortisone shot, which seemed to end the issue.

I hope your boy is soon on the mend!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

The same thing happened to our bridge boy, Phantom. He snapped down on a bee while lounging in the grass one day, and his poor face swelled so much his eyes were just slits. The Benedryl helped, but it took a couple of days before his face stopped swelling once it wore off. We ended up taking him to the vet to get a cortisone shot, which seemed to end the issue.

I hope your boy is soon on the mend!

So I guess I have to add bug bite back in to the list of possible suspects! But I'm still not going to give him the Diamond Naturals anymore. :rolleyes: He's totally fine now, no swelling. I'm just about to feed him the TOTW - I don't know what I'll do if he swells up after eating that! It would point me toward the salivary gland, I guess. He did eat a giant Milk Bone a couple of hours ago with no reaction, though...

In the case of a sting that causes facial swelling, the Benadryl should be repeated at 8 hr intervals for 24 hrs.

So it was most likely a sting with a reappearance of the swelling as the Benadryl wore off.

But definitely worth getting it checked out so that you can be prepared if it happens again

Pam

I'd check for an abscessed tooth as well as salivary gland problem. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He ate his TOTW before & has been fine. No swelling at all. His teeth look ok, too, but I know that doesn't preclude an abscess. Right now, I'm leaning towards the sting/bug bite. I'll see what the vet has to say when I take him. Thanks for the input, everyone!

Edited by tamborine

Click here for Kassie's thread. The vet thought her's was a bite. When I took her back for a re-check she still had some slight swelling so she was on antibiotics for about 3 weeks. At the last re-check she was fine and it has not recurred.

I hope you can find out what's going on when you take him to the vet.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS