Adora Had To Go To The Emerg Vet Last Night

Guest NSGREY

I have no idea how she did this but last night after having her evening potty out in the yard with Higgins she came in to have her paws wiped and there was a lot of blood on the towel. After closer inspection, and a far amount of blood welling up after wipng at the back of her leg between the paw and the ankle, I figured that I best take her to the vet to be sure that it was not severe. I tried to tape some cotton balls to the area just to keep some pressure on it but she was having nothing to do with that.

We went to our normal vet and the waiting room was packed with people and their cats(RANT! why do people bring their cats in no carrier and just wrapped in a towel/blanket..Adora thoguht I had taken her to a smorgasborg :rolleyes: )to be told that they were booked solid and could not help us but that she needs stitches.

Off I went to the Emerg vet and they fixed her leg and robbed me! :angryfire she has 6 staples according to the bill in her leg. Now thoguh her toes have gotten really big.. :unsure Like in comparison to her other back paw it looks to be the size of great danes foot and red looking. So Dh and I cut the vet wrap off and some of the gauze to get a look at her foot and to see if the swelling would go down. But it looks the same and it's been a few hours now.

She's on antibiotics and the dressing looked clean and dry but could she have an infection?? I hate to think that she's in trouble. I can't get ahold of anyonje from our group that I normally would talk to.

What do you think??

She could have an infection but it's somewhat more likely that just too tight bandage. If there's still any bandaging over it, can you cut that off, too? It can take several hours for a too-tight-bandage-swollen foot to go down -- gravity is against you, as is inactivity.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

See if you can massage the swelling upwards. The bandage might have been too tight. Try some compresses and massage her foot. See if that helps. Good thoughts for your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Okay that's what I was thinking is that it was too tight but not sure how long it could take for the swelling to do down with the removal of the bandages. I was just concerned that it should have gone down noticeably by now and since it hasn't that it could be a sign of something really bad.

Thanks for the replies. I hate having my girlie hurt :(

Well, you want to make sure it doesn't get *bigger*. Hugs and best wishes to your sweet pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I hate reading stuff like this; the vet clinic should know how to wrap a bandage so it's not too tight! I would call them and ask for a refund of at least that portion of the bill, since you just had to cut the bandage off. Do keep an eye out for infection, though. Did they send her home with any antibiotics?

Bandage was probably too tight. When Aggie had her ear repaired the tech wrapped vet wrap around her head so tight she literally went in to respiratory distress and could hardly breath by the time I got her home. Like you I had to cut off the pathetic bandaging job ASAP. And yet these same techs are arrogant and treat me like I'm stupid and resent my determination to insure my dogs are not harmed by them and resent that I prefer an actual vet for diagnosis and treatment. What if I hadn't picked Aggie up when I did? Would she have just asphixciated in her kennel and then of course I would have been told some story about unusual rxns or something becasue needless to say they'd never admit the dog suffocated because a vet tech wrapped so much vet wrap around her head and throat so tightly. I would message her paw some to increase circulation. She'll probably be OK now that you noticed the problem and removed it but it sure could have been bad had you not.:getwell

A good way to check for circulation issues is to feel the feet. If the affected one is cooler than the others, there is probably a circulation problem. I'd definitely remove and replace a bandage in that case.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the feedback greatly! The reson why we were sent to the E-Vet was because our normal vet closes at 8pm and I arrived at 7:15pm. I was not demanding to get in right that minute I would have waited in my vehicle if need be but was not given the option to be honest. I was just told that they were too busy and could not fit her in :(

We took the vet wrap off and like I said some of the gauze wrap that was around the bottom of the leg near the paw where I think it was too tight. Her paw got looking less swollen by late last night and by thins morning when I looked at it again it looks very close to normal so I'm feeling more relieved.

She has antibiotics (Cephalexin 500mg) that I have been sneaking into her but she's starting to give the peanut butter on the spoon the evil eye :rolleyes: she's not stupid! :lol She doesn't want me to touch her leg at all, but we have wrapped a plastic grocery bag to the leg where it's wrapped, because of course we now have heavy rains falling so I don't want to get it wet either or mud in the wound!

Life is never easy sometimes! but I'm glad that her paw looks much better.