Baseline Blood Tests

Guest Travelover

Guest Travelover

I had my girl to the vet today for routine vaccinations and fecal test and the vet recommended that I have a 10 panel blood test done as a baseline so that they know what her normal levels are, in case she gets sick and they need a comparison. This sounds reasonable, is only $60, but I'm surprised that they sprung this on me now after 2 years of bringing the dog there as a patient. My dentist has recently been trying to up-sell me on various revenue enhancers and I've become a little suspicious of their motivations.

Anyone else do this type of testing to establish a baseline?

As background, the dog is 5 years old and I adopted her 2 years ago. She has been in excellent health the whole time I've had her.

Unless needed earlier for other reasons, I usually get a first baseline right around age 5. If everything is OK, you may not need another until they get to "senior" which is around 8 or 9 and then I start getting yearly (or every 8 months .. depends on how the dog is) blood work.

after having dogs become ill and not having a baseline to compare the tests to so that the vet could see if this current result was a norm for this dog, I now have a 'wellness' blood test done whenever I adopt a dog. This way we know what is normal for each dog - and it's not always the same for each.

I have learned to get a baseline CBC and chemistry panel @ as soon as I bring a new dog home. I tend to get one @ every year thereafter. YMMV but these have been invaluable to me over the years. Before I started doing that, I had occasions to regret it. YMMV.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Travelover

Absoultely -- everyone should get a baseline blood panel done on their hounds.

Edited to add that you should not only have a chemistry done you should also run a CBC and a U/A too!

What does CBC and U/A mean?

Thanks.

Guest KennelMom

We get baseline bloodwork done on all new dogs...then prior to any surgery or about every two years until they're seniors and then more frequently.

Almost a year ago, my vet suggested a CBC to have as a baseline. Since Twiggy had just turned 6 and was completely healthy, I thought it was a good idea. It was supposed to be a "just in case" that I figured would slip into obscurity.

A little over 2 months ago, Twiggy was diagnosed with osteo and is now going through chemo, and therefore CBCs every couple weeks. I'm really glad I have that baseline to compare now.

$60 seems really reasonable for the test.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Wow. My vet tries to talk me into blood work pretty much every time I go in!

And, oddly, I have NEVER had a CBC come back on ANY pet that showed "normal" for all the values. Made me wonder how often the lab's equipment was checked. I mean seriously--every cat and dog has something abnormal? What are the odds of that?

My Siamese, who is deathly afraid of leaving the house, needs his rabies shot and is going in this weekend. I know they're going to try to get me to do a senior panel. I'm not sure I see the point. He's the very picture of health. If he has symptoms of ANYTHING, sure, I'd happily do it. Still pondering my decisions.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

And, oddly, I have NEVER had a CBC come back on ANY pet that showed "normal" for all the values. Made me wonder how often the lab's equipment was checked. I mean seriously--every cat and dog has something abnormal? What are the odds of that?

My Siamese, who is deathly afraid of leaving the house, needs his rabies shot and is going in this weekend. I know they're going to try to get me to do a senior panel. I'm not sure I see the point. He's the very picture of health. If he has symptoms of ANYTHING, sure, I'd happily do it. Still pondering my decisions.

if your kitty is older is would absoultely run a panel including a T4. Cats are masters of hiding their illness' and getting a baseline T4 is so important on a kitty as hyperthyroidism is rather common in older cats. I would also recommend running a U/A too-- if your cats renal values return on the high side you'll want to check the urine specfic gravity. Good luck with your visit.

Actually, the greater the number of tests run the greater the chance that one will return an abnormal number. There's a formula to calculate that chance depending on the number of tests. If you're really interested I'll dig it up when I get home.

Also, consider that the normal reference ranges do not include every normal animal at the exclusion of all abnormal animals. There isn't an immediate cut off. 14 means health and 15 means sick. The two curves overlap. A certain percentage of the normal population will have values that fall outside of the reference range, and a certain percentage of animals that are ill will have values that fall within the range. The reference range is generated such that 95% of the normal population falls within in. The other 5% will be above or below.

So in summary, yes, it is quite normal for at least one value on a healthy dog or cat's bloodwork to come back outside of the reference range. This is one very good reason to run baseline bloodwork. We want to know about that value being low or high when the animal is healthy so that when it is sick and we run bloodwork we don't see that abnormal value and think it is the culprit.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I'm not sure I see the point.

The point is to have a basis of comparison. If you do bloodwork regularly you may actually be able to track changes & catch problems early. I've actually discovered problems before symptoms appeared simply by keeping my dog's blood work in a spread sheet & researching the changes. You really need three or more sets to catch a trend. Wouldn't you prefer to catch things like Cushing's, renal disease, etc. BEFORE further damage is done so you have a chance to extend your pets quality lifetime?

Also, by having an idea of what your individual pet's lab work looks like prior to becoming or at least appearing ill you help your vet pick the more likely diagnosis to pursue which can save valuable time, minimize your pet's discomfort & get maximum value for your veterinary dollar.

I've seen the value of routine lab work for both my pets & myself. Everyone much choose what they feel is appropriate. My animals get baseline lab work on a schedule similar to KennelMom's.

to give a concrete example of the importance of baseline, my rescue borzoi had a wellness test done and her eosinophils were elevated. The vet said this can mean either parasites or allergies. She was dewormed, although her fecal was negative and she wasn't showing any symptoms. Repeat bloodwork showed that although the eosinophil level was down a bit, it was still higher than 'normal'. She has no signs of allergies, so the vet decided that this is just the way she is. If we hadn't done this when she was well and did bloodwork when she was ill, this unusual level could have coloured her diagnosis and treatment.

I know they're going to try to get me to do a senior panel. I'm not sure I see the point. He's the very picture of health. If he has symptoms of ANYTHING, sure, I'd happily do it.

In addition to getting baseline values, the other big reason to do senior panels is to catch problems in the early stages so that they can be addressed before the pet actually gets sick and shows symptoms. With an asymptomatic individual, you may or may not need to start treatment immediately if something is detected on bloodwork. But even if treatment is not immediately required, it allows you to be more vigilant and follow up in a more timely manner.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Really, "normal" is a misnomer. It's more like "average" range among average healthy animals in a given population.

The cat's discomfort at the vet is a training issue, and an important one people too often skip, especially with cats and small dogs. Baseline bloodwork is important for all the reasons stated by other. Periodic senior bloodwork is as well. If you think tour pet is stressed at the vet (or my favorite - when crated) wait until it gets sick an hospitalized for something. Stress greatly affects healing.

When Vixen was hospitalized, the two other greyhounds in the hospital then were a wreck. She was not happy, but not stressed. They ran bloodwork that showed elevated kidney values. That was after she had been on commercial dog food and even while on an IV drip. Her previous senior panels, all while raw fed, showed no such elevation. after back on raw one final panel showed the levels back to her normal.

I like to get a CBC and SuperChem (which is the full panel). Around here, the two of those cost about $150 at pretty much every vet I've been to. Baseline measurements really are invaluable. I referred to Turbo's frequently over the years and was able to compare old and new blood work.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

C'mon now...you know it's just so you guys can drive around in your fancy cars and live in your big, fancy houses :P:P

LOL, you know, it'd be even funnier if it wasn't sad that there are many people out there who really do believe this about vets. (Maybe there are vets this would apply to, but they are a small minority.) I actually had a client argue with me about this and say that the only reason I was recommending a heartworm test before selling HW preventative for a dog we had never seen before was that I wanted to make money.

I find it refreshing that so many here actually do understand the importance of these recommendations.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

LOL, you know, it'd be even funnier if it wasn't sad that there are many people out there who really do believe this about vets. (Maybe there are vets this would apply to, but they are a small minority.) I actually had a client argue with me about this and say that the only reason I was recommending a heartworm test before selling HW preventative for a dog we had never seen before was that I wanted to make money.

I don't know. I saw that fancy, American made, minivan you were driving. How many average Americans can afford to buy... hmmm... argument sort of falls apart there, doesn't it. :rofl