Kirkland Food?

Guest leemc

I have been feeding my black lab mix Canidae for many years and she does well on it. About 7 months ago we adopted Ruby ( a greyhound) and 2 weeks ago we adopted Cody- another grey. I do love the Canidae but the price recently went up on it and at $48 a bag, it is abit expensive for three dogs. I have read some past posts about Kirkland chicken and rice. It seems that a lot of people like it. Those posts were made awhile ago so I was wondering if anyone has any recent opinions about that food.

Thank You :)

I love Kirkland's food. I feed my crew a mixture of Kirkland's Lamb and Rice and Kirkland's Chicken and rice so they have two protein sources and they absolutely love it. I've been using it for years with no problems.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I love Kirkland's food. I feed my crew a mixture of Kirkland's Lamb and Rice and Kirkland's Chicken and rice so they have two protein sources and they absolutely love it. I've been using it for years with no problems.

great! Thank you !!

I have been feeding the grain free and mix it with Avoderm; so I cut the cost a bit. My dogs are doing well on it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I've used Kirkland Chicken and Rice for year. We only recently switched to the Mature version as it has more joint support. All 4 dogs do really well on it. I get many comments about how soft they are.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I've had my 2 on the Kirkland Chicken and Rice for over a year now. And they both have done greyt on it! I've also gotten a lot of comliments on how soft there fur is.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

We used Kirkland Chicken and Rice for 6 years. Our dog did very well on it, and he has some sensitive stomach issues. I did just recently realize that it's possible he's allergic to something in the food: we narrowed it down to chicken, brewer's yeast, or beet pulp as the possibilities so we are in the process of switching foods now. I'd go back to it in a heartbeat with another dog though!

Guest goofydog

Get Em has been on the Chicken & Rice for years without any issues. He also has the soft bunny fur others have mentioned. I like the idea of mixing it with the Lamb, however I just bought a new bag of chicken last weekend. When that bag is about half gone I'll buy the lamb and start adding it in. With only one dog a bag lasts me awhile! Thanks Judy.

Guest TBSFlame

thanks...I really appreciate the responses. I am going to Costco tonight for other things. I think I will get a bag and start mixing with the Canidae.

A few months ago I changed all my hounds over to the Costco grain free and they are doing very well on it.

I use the Kirkland Lamb and Rice, (Opie doesn't do well on chicken food) and recently started mixing it with the Natures Domain Salmon food (also from Costco). He loves it, firm poops, soft shiny fur, and the price is right.

Edited by tydyelady

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

My two started on the Kirkland Lamb and Rice about 3 months ago. I also supplement with a variety of veggies, brown rice and either hamburger or chicken and a few raw meals for the teeth. Both are enjoying the kibble and I love the outputs and the $ smile.gif

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Get Em has been on the Chicken & Rice for years without any issues. He also has the soft bunny fur others have mentioned. I like the idea of mixing it with the Lamb, however I just bought a new bag of chicken last weekend. When that bag is about half gone I'll buy the lamb and start adding it in. With only one dog a bag lasts me awhile! Thanks Judy.

You're welcome Toni. I came up with that when half the pack had soft stools on the Chicken and some had soft stools on the Lamb so I combined the two and it worked out really well! Mine seem to do better with 2 protein sources.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I use the Kirkland Lamb and Rice, (Opie doesn't do well on chicken food) and recently started mixing it with the Natures Domain Salmon food (also from Costco). He loves it, firm poops, soft shiny fur, and the price is right.

Same here. Trolley started to refuse to eat the Lamb & Rice, so we switched to the Natures Domain. She loves it. :)

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest avadogner

thanks...I really appreciate the responses. I am going to Costco tonight for other things. I think I will get a bag and start mixing with the Canidae.

A few months ago I changed all my hounds over to the Costco grain free and they are doing very well on it.

We did the same and changed their food to the Salmon Grain Free. When I went last week, I was told they were no longer selling it. Ava has food allergies so we have to do fish based so back to Blue Buffalo we went. I was so bummed!

Guest greyers

The dogs at the local grey rescue I volunteer with get Kirkland lamb and rice and they all do pretty well with it, even right off the track. As far as the less expensive options go, I think it's a very decent food. There are still a few ingredients in it I don't love, thus I haven't fed it in years especially after dealing with an allergy dog.

I DO get the grain free salmon from Costco and even though it's pricey compared to Kirkland lamb or chicken, the size of the bag makes it a great value compared to all the other grain free options I rotate through. I never have been able to remember the name of the grain free salmon they have, but they recently discontinued one of them and about a month later I saw a different brand of salmon in a bright blue bag. It's a little more expensive than the previous brand but they do great on it. If your Costco doesn't have ANY salmon Sr. Grey lover, try a different Costco and see if they carry this new one. As of last night mine still does.

Edited by greyers

Guest bonnebike

We used Kirkland food for a long time and our dogs did well on it until we got our latest guy Singh. He had skin and coat issues that went away when we switched to Taste of the Wild.

Our food bill is definitely higher now. Sigh.

Have to admit that Mary's poops are firmer now with Taste of the Wild.

I mixed Costco's Nature's Domain salmon grain free with Petsmart's Simply Nourish limited ingredient salmon formula. Helps with costs and gives Timo a little more ingredients than the four ingredients in the Simply Nourish food.

Guest shanesmom

I started Ace out on the Grain Free from Costco but after a month his stools were still too loose so I switched him to the Kirkland Chicken and Rice. He loves both foods. I have a Costco right down the street from me and I love it. I'm in there almost every week lately.

Guest FullMetalFrank

We fed Kirkland lamb and rice for years with pretty good results; although Frank always seemed to have occasional loose stools. When they came out with the Nature's Domain salmon, we tried that; it was great but I really dislike the way fish kibble in general makes dogs' output smell :sick and because I work at a boarding kennel and am faced with noxious odors pretty much all day, at home it was too much! And then, they came out with the Turkey and Sweet Potato grain free. Yipeeeee! We love it.

S far, so good . I am still mixing with the Canidae I had left. All 3 seem to love it (although my Cody would probably eat dirt if I let him- lol ). Their outside business seems to be fine also. Thank you everyone for the input- I really appreciate it.

Have a GREYT day all :)

I've got 3 hounds on Kirkland Lamb and Rice and have also happily use the Chicken and Rice. All 3 have shiny coats and nice firm poop.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.