How I Ended Up Almost Going To Jail

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

So my dog Beckett and I were at the park today (its this baseball diamond that lets us use it sometimes) and another man and his small dog came in after we'd been playing. His dog started to run after B and play with him. It was just a dog being dogs thing. So I spoke with the man stating that we had been there using the park first and if he wouldn't mind leaving for a few minutes while we wrap it up. He stated that it was good for his dog to be nipped at because he always nips other dogs. He also had a shock collar on his dog and used it way too much. So as he was leaving his dog nipped at B a few times so b nipped back. So the guy slugged Beckett in the face twice. So I lost it, I ran over and stated to yell at him. Stating that under no circumstances is he to hit another persons dog. He started yelling back saying that he was protecting his dog that was still trying to run and play with Beckett. And he ran up and tried to hit him again. So I got in his space and told him to leave or I'd throw him over the fence. Why do some people feel its necessary to hit defenseless beings. Needless to say I put the fear of god in him and he ran away. I guess I just needed to vent but I am looking for some feedback on this. Have any of you had similar incidents?

Guest sheila

I can't recall any incidents where anyone has tried to hit my dogs. However in the situation as you describe it I think I would have had my dog leashed and been long gone before it got to the point it did.

Was it not the said jackwagon that said "it will do him good to get nipped, because he nips others"?

Then the rule should also be "he who hits one dog shall then be hit by said dog's guardian."

That last one was my rule.....you may use it freely.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Was it not the said jackwagon that said "it will do him good to get nipped, because he nips others"?

Then the rule should also be "he who hits one dog shall then be hit by said dog's guardian."

That last one was my rule.....you may use it freely.

I was thinking the same exact thing that the guy stated that. I wonder what he does to his own dog if it may misbehave

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest K9_Lady

Are you kidding? If some jackwagon "slugged" one of my dogs there would be no almost went to jail.

I guarantee said jackwagon would look one hell of a lot worse.

:nod

Another reason why I won't go to dog parks...

Guest cwholsin

I've had to warn someone off who was threatening to hit someone else's dog at the dog park... not fun. The dog in question was a goofy newfie youngster who was running around with a frisbee that the woman in question and her husband brought to play with their dogs. She was freaking out over another dog playing with her toy (we find out from the police that her dog has had problems with aggression at the park--probably why she didn't want any of the other dogs to play with them). She raised her hand to smack the dog who had, once again, grabbed the frisbee and was playing hard to get. I screamed at her "Don't you DARE hit that dog!!" I would have physically removed her myself if she had tried, regardless of whose dog she was threatening. Nobody hits an animal and gets away with it around me.

I was pissed.

Our friend eventually had to call the police on her, as she was claiming the dog had 'bitten her' when she put her hand in his mouth to take the frisbee from him (she was threatening to call the police too).... Oy.... Needless to say the cops did nothing, as she had no actual injuries (and she had been in conflict with the police at the dog park on several other occasions--her reputation preceeded her).

Hitting a strange dog is one of the stupidest things a person can do, no matter how you slice it. Even the most laid back dog can be goaded into biting out of self-defense. Do these people WANT to be bitten?? blink.gif

Guest Swifthounds

I just hate dog parks. Not empty dog parks, just the kind that let other people in. :)

If he had slugged my dog he'd have been missing a hand long before I was in spitting distance of him.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest MnMDogs

Are you kidding? If some jackwagon "slugged" one of my dogs there would be no almost went to jail.

I guarantee said jackwagon would look one hell of a lot worse. Have I had a similar experience? No, never.

Idiot.

Yeah, I'm with Nancy on this... And no, it never happened to me. Wow...

Guest IndyHound

It wasn't a dog park. It was the high school's baseball diamond. And I did come close to decking him. I was shaking and about to loose control. He had a shock collar on his dog and kept zapping him and zapping him over and over.

Guest MnMDogs

It wasn't a dog park. It was the high school's baseball diamond. And I did come close to decking him. I was shaking and about to loose control. He had a shock collar on his dog and kept zapping him and zapping him over and over.

I was shaking just reading your account! Hope you and your hound are ok now.

I would file a report with animal control. Let them know this person is hitting strange dogs and abusing his with a shock collar. There needs to be a record to protect the next person's dog he hits. No comment needed about where his shock collar should be placed.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest mnblewis1

OMG I would have lost it. I feel bad for his poor dog. I can only imaging the abuse the poor thing gets at home. If he would have hit my dog I definitely would have been in jail. I hope your dog is okay. What is wrong with people!!! :angryfire

I carry a long walking stick to warn off dogs that come too close .

I carry a long walking stick to warn off dogs that come too close - but would not hesitate to whack a jackwagon who hit my dog. Slide down the bench in that jail cell cool.gif

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I would file a report with animal control. Let them know this person is hitting strange dogs and abusing his with a shock collar. There needs to be a record to protect the next person's dog he hits. No comment needed about where his shock collar should be placed.

:nod Bad owner needs a turn at wearing his dog's shock collar.

Please report what happened to you, just so you have it on record with Animal Control should you run into that guy again there, or elsewhere.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

OMG, I am so sorry that happened to you. I know I couldn't have controlled myself if anyone hit one of my dogs. Just reading about this makes my stomach churn. I would for sure call the police and report the incident so that at least they know what happened and so they have a record if it happens again.

Guest BrindleBoy

If you'll excuse my french, I'd have fed him hits nuts.

Police/jail... no matter. You or your dog attack me or my dog, and I will do WHATEVER is necessary to stop that. If you end up with a broken bone and a dead dog, so be it. Sue me. So be it. You'll still limp the rest of your life after I kick your knee in sideways.

Sorry people. I just can't tolerate threats of any kind. Period. Please forgive me if you find me over-reacting.

Stories like these are why I have not yet taken Indy to a dog park. Only to a kennel "greyhounds only" groups. And even then we muzzle them.

Guest IndyHound

I did alert the authorities and I was just informed that he was banned from returning by the police. B is not showing any side effects from the incident. I was worried before that I might have over reacted but now and positive i didn't. Thanks everyone!

So did the police know this guy's name?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I did alert the authorities and I was just informed that he was banned from returning by the police. B is not showing any side effects from the incident. I was worried before that I might have over reacted but now and positive i didn't. Thanks everyone!

So glad to hear Beckett is fine - big whew! I'm so glad you called and reported the jackass (and I'm being very polite choosing that word!) to the cops. Did you know who the guy was? Do the police know who he is?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest cwholsin

You definitely didn't over-react. Appropriate behavior is to take your dog elsewhere if there's a problem with them interacting with other people's dogs--NOT hitting someone's dog!! I would have been just as furious. I'm glad he's banned.