Allergy Tests

at least in my opinion.

Poor Isaac -- I've been messing around for over a year. Blamed it all on outside and thought he was allergic to chicken.

He is allergic to every weed known to SE Texas....

Oak & Pine trees

and the biggest surprise -- the food

on a scale of 0 - 6 he is allergic to:

yeast 2

Peas 2

Lamb 2

Turkey 2

Rice 3

He is not allergic to chicken. Try finding a food without yeast, rice and/or peas. There are peas in everything!

What concerns me too, is what we didn't test for. He is not allergic to catfish. Does that mean salmon is ok? Herring? He is not allergic to wheat or potatoes. Does that mean sweet potatoes are ok? on and on and I think you get where I am. :rolleyes:

Arrrgghhhhhh....... :lol

First time I or my vet used Liquid Gold Allergy Test. If anyone wants the information, let me know.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest KennelMom

I'd love more info...we're going through this with Dash right now. We thought (think) it's chicken too, but symptoms haven't completely resolved (but have gotten a LOT better) so I dunno. We were feeding her raw...even did chicken ONLY and she definitely didn't improve. Moved her to a fish based grain free food and saw marked improvement but not total.

Was going to order the test from Dr. Dodds, but that's just food.

How are you going to handle him moving forward? Do they have claritin for dogs?

We've been dealing with allergies this summer for the first time ever. We decided to wait for the hard frost to see if symptoms subside before moving forward with other tests, because we found that 2/3 of the dogs in our neighborhood were suffering the same symptoms, many for the first time also. Hoping that it's just a strange bloom in the neighborhood, or maybe it's something in the corn or soybean fields nearby.

Hope Isaac is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest PiagetsMom

I did order the test from Dr. Dodds for Mirage, and he tested reactive to Wheat, with lesser reactions to Beef, Corn, and Milk......none of which are in the TOTW or treats he's eating. :huh So, it seems as though his "itchy" face may not be food related.

We've got a vet appointment in a couple of weeks, and we'll go from there. His face is driving him crazy, he'll literally stop at a door jam and rub it along the woodwork, and I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. I'll have to ask his opinion of the LG allergy test, but I see what you mean as to all of the other questions it presents.

Edited by PiagetsMom

He is on Tavist (generic) and benedyl every day, and pred when needed.

They have treatment allergens that can be ordered. For now, I'm going with getting all the food allergens out of his diet.

They taylor the weed and grass test panel to your specific area and you can add on certain foods/weeds/trees/grasses separate. The full panels (I got 3) was $185. It has to have the vet name/clinic on it and they send it to the vet. Allergy Testing Website

My vet asked me the other day: how long does it take? I said, "I don't know it's the first time I've done it". He had not sent off any allergy testing to them although he knew about them--met them at conferences.

Fortunately Isaac is not allergic to sheep wool or human dander.....

The 0-6 levels:

0 -- Absent or undectable

1 -- Very low level

2 -- Low level

3 -- High Level

4 -- Very high Level

5 -- Ultra high level

6 -- (can't read) high level

It states of consider class 2 and greater for allergen immunotheapy

So, it doesn't seem likely his "itchy" face is food related

might not be but what about what you didn't test for? Who would think peas?

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

We haven't used the Liquid Gold version, but food allergy tests have saved me (and the dogs) all sorts of grief. Especially for the dogs that don't react right away when fed the wrong thing.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My vet thinks they're better than they were. She's had her own dog tested.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)