Getting My First Greyhound This Weekend And Have Some Anxiety

Guest RealClearBlue

Guest BrindleBoy

New dog owner, Indy's been with us 4 months. Seems all dogs are different, but Indy was a bit timid, attached to our hips, very accepting of "loving", and seemed like a sweet, calm dog. After a few months, he got really comfortable. NOW, he sleeps out in the living room instead of in the bedroom, doesn't follow us around anymore (unless he thinks we're leaving or getting food), still accepts loving but only when HE wants it, and it's timid at all- he's quite the opposite now! At first, we wondered "where is the dog we adopted?" but quickly realized the dog we adopted wasn't Indy. THIS is Indy. And he's still great. It made us feel better knowing he was comfortable enough to be himself, and do what HE wants.

The "nitting" thing we didn't understand for while, and tried to stop it, but gave up once we realized it was zero danger. It's just a sign of affection for them. I can put my hand in his mouth when he's nitting and he won't bite me. So that concerned for for a short while, then we got over it.

He still has a bit of separation anxiety, only on some days, greeting us at the door in a hyper-excited state, but only on some days, so I think (hope) that's coming to and end. Not that I mind him being excited, but I don't want him to have anxiety. And I'd prefer he not put his paws on me (jumping), because they can scratch easily!

My only regret is that we don't have a fenced-in yard. I know it's not a prerequisite to owning grey, but I'd like to be able to let him hang out outside sometimes, the only times he is outside he's on a leash, walking. We will probably get a fence next year. And probably another grey too! But we want to have Indy for a full year so we really know what we're doing & what to expect before adopting again.

Oh- and the "fall crazies"... these dogs aren't used to cooler weather, have probably never seen snow, so when the weather got chilly this fall, Indy's energy level went up, especially when outside. Apparently normal- people call it the "fall crazies".

One more thing- don't expect them to sleep for at least a few days. We had Indy in our bedroom, but I don't think he slept much. a lot of shifting around, and when the alarm went off he jumped up in hyper excited mode. 4 months later, he's a SLEEPY HEAD!!! We get up at 6, wife leaves for work at 7 (me usually at 8), and he barely acknowledges our presence in the morning! Until the sun comes up he's not interested in us or food or walking (to go to the bathroom.) You know for sure your grey is comfortable & sleeping well wen you see them roachng! Not very modest position, but I gotta' say... fewer things have made me feel better about my dog than knowing he's comfortable enough to roach!

Edited by BrindleBoy

I was so excited when I brought Annie Bella home in mid-July of this year. I'm a mom and a grandmother but it had been decades since I had a dog and I've always yearned for a Greyhound. I was a bit concerned regarding all the "special" things about Greyhounds until I realized that yes, they are special, but every dog breed seems to have something special about it.

Make sure you have a crate. Food dishes on a riser. Stuffies. Treats. A bed, whether a real dog bed or something made from blankets (they really aren't that fussy about what their bed is).

If possible, talk to the foster parents. Ask them what food s/he is eating at their house and does her system tolerate it well, i.e. decent stools. Oh, and don't worry too much about the poop unless it's really loose and runny. I've spent weeks not liking how soft Annie's poop is sometimes until finally my vet (who owns 2 Greys herself) said, "Most Greyhound's poop is softer than other dogs. Stop obsessing." LOL

Food: Expensive, cheaper? I am now using Taste of the Wild, because Annie did have diarrhea for a bit, but hope to eventually wean her to something less expensive, though still good quality. I still evaluate her poops. LOL

Decide if you want him/her to be a furniture dog. I don't want a dog on my furniture, or in my bed, and in the 3 months I've had Annie, she has never once looked at the couch with interest let alone climb on it. If she had expressed an interest, I knew before hand I would discourage her.

Most dogs can go longer between P&Ps (pee & poop) than we think. Everything I read recommended taking a new Greyhound out every two hours. What that does is train the dog to want to go out every two hours, and except for medical issues, that's simply not necessary, unless they're not house trained. While you'll want to make your new baby feel safe and secure, it doesn't hurt to start from day one getting her used to *your* schedule.

My Annie still won't use the stairs to the second floor so stays in the TV room overnight by herself. I felt bad at first, but it is what it is, and she's fine. Guess I'm saying, don't transfer too many human emotions to your new dog. Just 'cause you "feel bad" doesn't mean the dog does.

One final thing: Yes, Greyhounds often look sad. Those brown eyes, the ears back. If they were human, we would think "sad." They're not human. That's the way they look, or as my sister said, "Annie Bella is Irish, and that is her happy face!" LOL

Guest benfrench

We have had Matchbox for over a year now and he is still crated during the day. He has seperation anxiety and it is safer for him to be in the crate than it is to be loose in the house. He doesn't mind being in the crate during the day but once we are home from work, he doesn't want to go back in if we go out. He is a furniture dog, the cats go on the furniture so it's only fair. He comes camping with us and we do camp a lot, that seems to tire him out and he falls asleep before the trailer is even hooked up to come home. He has had a few accidents in the house, nothing to be overly concerned with, the garbage surfing is something to watch though. He will do it every chance that he gets, doesn't matter if you are watching or not. Relax, have fun and enjoy your greyhound, they really are Greyt!

Guest verthib

Congrats on deciding to adopt! We've only had greyhounds a couple of months and we went through the same anxiety! One thing I would say for alone training is DO SOME CRATE TRAINING. It's a life saver. The best thing we learned about crate training is always give a treat when they are in, and the most amazing thing that transformed our dogs was feeding them their meals in the crate. Now they LOVE their crates. Our girl which we got first never got over her separation anxiety, some never do. We got our boy to keep her company and now her anxiety is 99% gone. It's great that they both have a buddy. If you think about it, they've never been away from other greyhounds - EVER. They're born, raised, trained, housed, etc with other greyhounds. I have found some great advice and some great supporters on this site, so please check back often! Good luck! You will be fine!!! Don't forget a coat if you are in a cooler area! Ours wore them for the first time time this morning! So cute! :P

You are getting lots of input from people and what is (or isn't ) working for them. How much of all of that will work for you? Dunno, but your new dog will tell you what will work for him or her.

If you listen. :)

Credit Katleen Gilley of the Gilley Girls. The Gilly Girl were a wildly successful all greyhound drill team. From your new dogs point of view.

Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go though walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen.

I have had dogs all my life, greyhounds since 1999. My advice to you is to try to not over think

things and enjoy your new dog.

Guest SusanP

Each dog is an individual, and each one will have his/her own issues, but I can pretty much promise you that no one dog will have all of the issues or even most of the issues you have been reading about. It's just not that hard in most cases, but having read all you have will help you deal with an issue should it arise.

We've adopted 5 greyhounds and a stray Labrador, our first dogs as adults, over the last 9 years. In each case, the new dog was nervous and needed gentle and encouraging company and a soft place to lie down. Most of the dogs wanted to stay very close to us at night. (Our 7-yr-old broodie, Simon, actually lay right on my stomach the first 3 nights before feeling brave enough to move to a bed near our bed). The only thing we make sure to do that first day is to take the dog outside often--every 30 min to an hour--to head off any potty training problems. It's worked very well for the most part. Another thing we do is take the dog for a nice, longish walk (as long as that doesn't seem to stress the dog) early on--It's fun and the exercise helps them relax. With 2nd and subsequent dogs, I think it really helps the dogs bond with each other, too.

With each of our dogs, their true personality took quite some time to unfold. Any issues we had in the first few days generally resolved on its own as the dog relaxed. In many cases, we felt that the whole first year was one of regular change in our dog's behavior.

Congratulations!

Guest greysmitten

Relax, relax, relax. You don't want the houndie to sense your anxiety.

You're well-prepared (as much as can be) and you've clearly done your homework. Not everything you read will work for your family and your hound, so ... relax! Do what makes sense to you and what your new pup responds to. This is about a solid and trusting connection, first and foremost :)

ANd congratulations! You're screwed, now :lol

We never owned a grey before Lexie. She actually picked us out. Remember, their temperment when u see them is usually how they are at home. Lexie was very shy when we got her. Took her 3 months to even be near us. We thought we were doing something wrong. It was just the way she was. It took her 6 months to even play with a stuffed toy. She is now a therapy dog. Greytalk was and is so helpful for finding about anything u need help with. I have learned so much from medicines to food to behaviors. Some important things that helped us..

keep your own schedule and routine

stairs may take a week or more to get used to

noises are all new to them

keep vet wrap on hand in your house and car for small injuries

if changing food do it gradually they have sensitive tummies

if u dont want them on furniture dont show them how to get up on it...lol ( they will never get off)

oh and u must post lots of pics for everyone to see... :lol

good luck

I was so excited when I brought Annie Bella home in mid-July of this year. I'm a mom and a grandmother but it had been decades since I had a dog and I've always yearned for a Greyhound. I was a bit concerned regarding all the "special" things about Greyhounds until I realized that yes, they are special, but every dog breed seems to have something special about it.

Make sure you have a crate. Food dishes on a riser. Stuffies. Treats. A bed, whether a real dog bed or something made from blankets (they really aren't that fussy about what their bed is).

If possible, talk to the foster parents. Ask them what food s/he is eating at their house and does her system tolerate it well, i.e. decent stools. Oh, and don't worry too much about the poop unless it's really loose and runny. I've spent weeks not liking how soft Annie's poop is sometimes until finally my vet (who owns 2 Greys herself) said, "Most Greyhound's poop is softer than other dogs. Stop obsessing." LOL

Food: Expensive, cheaper? I am now using Taste of the Wild, because Annie did have diarrhea for a bit, but hope to eventually wean her to something less expensive, though still good quality. I still evaluate her poops. LOL

Decide if you want him/her to be a furniture dog. I don't want a dog on my furniture, or in my bed, and in the 3 months I've had Annie, she has never once looked at the couch with interest let alone climb on it. If she had expressed an interest, I knew before hand I would discourage her.

Most dogs can go longer between P&Ps (pee & poop) than we think. Everything I read recommended taking a new Greyhound out every two hours. What that does is train the dog to want to go out every two hours, and except for medical issues, that's simply not necessary, unless they're not house trained. While you'll want to make your new baby feel safe and secure, it doesn't hurt to start from day one getting her used to *your* schedule.

My Annie still won't use the stairs to the second floor so stays in the TV room overnight by herself. I felt bad at first, but it is what it is, and she's fine. Guess I'm saying, don't transfer too many human emotions to your new dog. Just 'cause you "feel bad" doesn't mean the dog does.

One final thing: Yes, Greyhounds often look sad. Those brown eyes, the ears back. If they were human, we would think "sad." They're not human. That's the way they look, or as my sister said, "Annie Bella is Irish, and that is her happy face!" LOL

the sad thing is sooo true..when i first got lexie i thought she was soo sad but that is how she looks :colgate

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Relax and be prepared to be flexible.

Lila is my first dog in a long time and I had that nervousness when she came home too. I think a lot of that comes from not trusting that you will know what to do in any given situation.

Lila was easy, no issues, but I had to adjust my plans those first few days and weeks. I planned on her sleeping in my bedroom – she didn’t want to. She wanted to be in the kitchen, so that’s where she slept. She was happy to go into her crate at the foster house, but not at mine. Her resistance increased and I had to change my plans regarding where she would be when I was out of the house. Just because a book or your adoption group or someone here says the dog should be crated or forced to walk glued to your left hip or whatever doesn’t mean that it has to be. You need to find what works for you. Be aware of what your dog is telling you and try to work with it, you both will be happier.

Oh, the first time you leave the dog alone in the house is scary! I went out for lunch but don’t think I ate a thing. :P

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest Dragon

We were just like you. We went from NO greyhound experience to adopting one...then TWO! I can honestly say that as much "greyhound" knowledge as you cram into your head, you also need to be prepared for the possibility that it won't "ACT" like a greyhound. Our two have such different personalities, you'd almost swear they were different breeds. BUT there are some commonalities, obviously. Dragon was described on the rescue website as "goofy and exuberant." He is very different from a lot of greys, as noticed by everyone when we go out in public (petco, dog parks, daycare). He's just very curious, unafraid, and playful with all breeds of dog. I often have to remind him "you're a greyhound, be quieter!" Pixie is more "grey-like." She's very shy (though much better), anxious about new things, and submissive. However, he's more aloof, and she's more cuddly. Both sleep their required 18 hrs/day!

Just have fun with whichever dog you choose (or chooses you)...some things are personality, some things are breed...

Guest RealClearBlue

Alright I feel its necessary to provide an update

So this past Saturday the local adoption group came by and brought four dogs for us to meet which include 1 older dog and 3 young dogs. My girlfriend at the beginning favored the young fawn female dog and I favored the young black male dog. Throughout the 3 hour visit however, there was a brindled colored 5 year old that would not leave my side. At the end of the visit I decided on the young black male dog partially because I was considering his age but before signing the papers the older brindle came back for more. At this point I caved and regardless of his older age decided he was the dog for me. How could I deny a dog that seemed to like me so much :)? I would of adopted the black male too but just starting with one dog to begin with seemed like the smart thing to do :).

When we finally were left alone with the dog we were like "Alright so what do we do first?". We decided the best thing to do was just relax and let him get used to his new home. The first hour or so he was anxious with heavy panting and pacing however then he started to settle down and act like a greyhound and slept for the next two hours lol.

319668_10150344145084936_502674935_7890317_1462264911_n.jpg

Pretty much after those first 3 hours all our anxiety disappeared and we both agreed that we can envision him becoming part of our family for the unforeseeable future. He is so well behaved and affectionate. He only jumped on furniture once and jumped down after a quick "NO!". No issues with counter-surfing (yet..) and walks really well on lease. The only thing we know we need to work on is improving his recall and ability to follow commands and riding in the the car as it causes him to become anxious. He doesn't seem interested in toys which is ok and hes a bit too much food motivated which will be working on but all in all, we have no regrets with our decision except we wish we could of adopted more than one.

Edited by RealClearBlue

and hes a bit too much food motivated which will be working on

No such thing! lol. I have no clue how to train a dog that's not food motivated. I wouldn't know what to do. I love me some chow hounds!

Congrats on your new addition. He looks like he'll fit in just fine!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

He is a gorgeous boy! What is his name? I love the picture of him half on and half off his bed. That's so Greyhound. Being food motivated can be a positive because I imagine he'll learn quicker/easier with the reward of food. My Annie Bella is not food motivated so teaching her anything is a difficult task.

Guest RealClearBlue

He is a gorgeous boy! What is his name? I love the picture of him half on and half off his bed. That's so Greyhound. Being food motivated can be a positive because I imagine he'll learn quicker/easier with the reward of food. My Annie Bella is not food motivated so teaching her anything is a difficult task.

His name is Howie. We originally thought that if we got a boy we would rename him Gaius but given his age and how long he had that name the adoption group recommended keeping it. Also I have no issues with Howie and feel its a sign of respect for his career to maintain a name related to his racing name.

Edited by RealClearBlue

Take that food motivation and work it to your advantage when training him. It will make things so much easier. He's going to be a little stressed for a while and you'll finally start seeing the "real" dog you adopted a few months in. Greyhounds are slow to adapt so 6 months from now he may be a stuffy playing fool. :lol You can start getting him used to the car by taking short rides a couple of times a week. Maybe to a fast food place or something like that. We have one here in town that gives treats to all the dogs going through their drive through. Our dogs learned to love rides in the car because that's where we started first. :lol Relax and enjoy him and Congratulations!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest iLoveLucie

Congrats on adopting! Sounds like your new guy is settling in nicely - it's such a fun time. When we got our first grey someone told us that a year from now we'd have a completely different dog. I thought he was crazy since Lucie was already so awesome, how could she get any better? But he was right... our greyhound keeps getting better.

The first few weeks I was so nervous: Anytime she moved in her crate at night I'd wake up worried there might be an issue. I'd get nervous going out for walks (our adoption rep really emphasized the importance in keeping a good grip on the leash and making sure the collar didn't get loose)for fear she might run off after a squirrel and I'd never catch her. My husband worried about bloat and he used to time how long it took her to eat her meals. Good grief, we were a little crazy! Low and behold, we are all doing great. So great in fact we decided to adopt a second hound this summer! It seems like one challenge many greyhound people have is only adopting one hound :)

Good luck and have fun and when questions arise Greytalk is a fabulous resource.

Guest PhillyPups

Howie is stunning. :beatheart

Good on ya for letting the hound pick you and not withholding on age. Of all my greyhounds that have come into my home, most were much older than 5. He is one handsome boy, and I figure the dogs are much better at knowing what is best for me, so with Howie picking you, it works.

The hardest thing for me to remember was to breathe in and breathe out, they are retired athletes, not glass eggs. Welcome to the wonderful magical world of greyhounds. Your life will never be the same again, it will be better than ever!!

Congratulations!!! Such a smart move to go with the one who picked you! Additionally, our first grey, EZ was five when we got him. It's nice when they have that maturity and experience especially for a first one. (Be careful, though, it sounds like you were pretty close to "chipping" before you even started....two really isn't any more work...:lol )

He is beautiful.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Congratulations!!! I'm so glad you decided to stick with Howie. It's a wonderful thing when they pick you. I adopted a 5-year old and he's more of a puppy than the 2-year old that was my first hound. They're all so different, and special. In no time, you'll have another - they're so addictive.