Anyone Have Any Experience With Congestive Heart Failure?

Guest tricolorhounds

Guest tricolorhounds

Copper was diagnosed a year ago with a heart murmur and kidney disease. He is not tattooed so we don't know exactly how old he is, guessing 11 years, +/-.

This past weekend he started having difficulty breathing, I thought it was anxiety at first, he was restless and panting but by Sunday he was definitely in distress. Long story short, the DX is Congestive Heart Failure. He is now taking Benazepril, Lasix and Pimobendan

My challenge now is to keep him eating, a low sodium diet to boot. We have Science Diet K/D. Our regular Vet said dogs tend to really not like their H/D formula and the K/D is low sodium. He seems to be willing to eat a little but is not finishing his bowl.

Any suggestions / experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Kidney Disease

I did not feed JD any special diet after he was diagnosed with ERF and CHF. I kept him on meds. and a couple of supplements. I am drawing a blank on the powder I added to his food right now thought. He did well for about 3 years after he lost his eye. I think that if the other eye hadn't gone, he might still be hanging in there. JD was a 'Tzu.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest HHHounds

Candyman was diagnosed with CHF last fall. He took enalapril, lasix, and vetmedin. He was also on meds for autoimmune problems. We changed to Blue Buffalo lamb rice and veggies. He was pretty comfortable for about 8 months, but we sent him to the bridge in June when he was getting miserable... He was such a loving dog!!

Traveler just died the end of Sept from this. My vet had me give him B12 shots to help getting to eat ( helped for a few days). I started feeding him from a raised feeder as that seemed easier for him too. Watch for fluid build up- Trav lost his tuck over night & looked like a very pregant female until he took large dose of Lasix. He changed to very watered down canned food, cottage cheese & sardines. Dr Reese said to just love him & let him do what ever he wanted but I only got a week with him after this showed up. He had been sick before but never show it to me.

Good luck & hugs to both of you.

sad.gif You might want to talk to Sharon C. since I think one of her dogs had it....maybe Armani? I think she took him to a cardiologist so she may have some insight she can give you.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Grhndad

I have a 12 yr old that was diagnosed with CHF in Dec, 2009. She was placed on Lasix and she quit eating, a little nibble ever now and then during the day. After a week we switched over to Enalapril. She would eat but then throw it back up. Placed her on Regal along with the Enalapril,twice daily. She went back to being her normal self. We have been feeding ProPlan beef and rice with no problems and holding her weight fine. We are losing her now but due to other problems not associated with her CHF.

Guest tricolorhounds

Thanks everyone.

Our focus is on keeping him eating... He's eagar to join the others at meal times but he just stares at the bowl, seems to be afraid of it. He'll walk away without even trying it. If I scoop up the food in my hand, he eats it with gusto. Any suggestions?

For the time being, that might be what you have to do. Could also try a little Tripett (canned green tripe; Solid Gold also makes a version, called Green Cow Tripe). Few can resist.

Hugs and best luck with your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.