Collar Chafing?

Guest KiShi

I'm looking at getting our new pup a martingale (other than the one that he came in with) and was wondering.. do you think it's necessary to have them line the inside of the collar with fleece or cotton for comfort, or is the polypropylene ok for our greys? What do you guys and your greys prefer?

Thanks!

All of mine wear lined collars. I have quite a few with bald necks and the lined collars are a lot more comfortable.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Wendy only wears her Martingale on walks, so chafing is not an issue. She wears a Carpe Canem ( http://www.carpecanem.com/store/index.php/cat_6) leather tag collar 24/7 which is super soft and hangs loosely.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Peanut had a bald neck for quite a while. Now that it's grown in as long as she wears a satin lined collar she's fine.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

My dog had a HORRIBLY chafed neck when I adopted him. I have tried virtually every kind of collar. It makes no difference. What worked was getting his skin healthier with omega fatty acid supplements!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The webbing on the collars where you see the webbing is usually nylon, not polypro. This is because polypro is not stable in the sun. Polypro is cheaper than nylon, so when it is to be covered, I use polypro. A few dogs (greys included) are allergic to nylon. These dogs definitely need to have something between the nylon and their skin (it is usually just a contact allergy, not systemic like a latex allergy). I have not heard of a dog being allergic to polypro.

Be sure your collar manufacturer uses a webbing inside the collar. There are a few out there that just use interfacing. In my opinion, this is not safe. Be sure your collar manufacturer uses solid cast or welded fittings. The safest is solid cast metal but these are more expensive. Welded is usually safe but it depends on the quality of the welds. Very occasionally the weld breaks. This typically doesn't cause an immediate catastrophic failure but this is why it is good to inspect your collar regularly.

This next is just supposition on my part: Webbing might have the ability to "grab" at the fine greyhound hairs. If a hair gets caught in the webbing and then the collar moves, it could conceivably pull out the hair. Over time, this might result in enough loss of hair that you would notice.

The big downside to covering the whole collar in fabric is that fabric does not last as long as webbing. You are likely to see the edges of the collar wear and then the fabric will start to ravel, revealing the webbing underneath. This is primarily just an aesthetic problem, the collar will still be safe.

Hope this helps you some.

Jane

every collar, be it leather or velvet, cotton or polar fleece lined has worn off felix's neck hair....EXCEPT....mackenziebelt.com. her martingales are lined w/ a lazer cut silk, she guaranteed that his hair on his neck would grow back. sure enough it did! i changed to his seasonal trout collar(lupine) and we got a bald guy here. trout season is almost over, so back to his fancy no-rub collar.

Guest greysmitten

If I could go back a few months, I would have ordered Azi's collar lined with something. I don't know if the collar is to blame, but her neck suddenly went bald and I feel like her collar is a little rough, especially for a bald neck. She's naked most of the time now. I do LOVE the look of her collar though.