13 Yr Old Annual Dental

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

My 13yr old just had her B-day -- YAY, so it was time again for the annual dental. This year the new vet called up and said they had to do 7 extractions, I am used to limiting them to 1-2 each year. Anyway - picked up the dog and she was bleeding pretty a bit from the mouth - the tech was a little concerned as she said to call back at 7PM and let them know how the dog is doing. Well by 7 the bleeding has slowed somewhat so we think pup is healing - by then we have the LR blockaded with chairs to contain the escape artist, and have the carpet, sofa, chairs, dog bed all covered with towels and comforters to protect from blood leaks. Vet instructions are no food or water till the next day (usually I have been able to give water in small amounts after a couple of hours). When I called the vet at 7 I asked if I could give water at least to clean the blood out of the mouth and he said only a little so we did that with a squirt bottle. Anyway, we both slept on the floor near the pup who was miserable, who wanted to escape to where the food and water was usually kept. She would lay down for a few minutes then she was up pacing and panting, probably in pain, mouth full of blood that she was coughing up, whiskers and muzzle and legs all caked with dried blood, we tried to wipe up as we could with a warm washcloth, but it was a long and nasty night. WARNING - GRAPHIC The blood clots were really nasty 1/4" thick and 1-1/2" long sometimes, that formed in her cheek where she would shake her head and these would fall (fly) out. One time she stood up right over me (I was laying down trying to sleep) and she shook her head - I said NO - NO STOP - but just then IT (a large clot) hit me right on the cheek..Yuck -- By 2AM I started giving a few tablespoons of water to her each half hour - which made the bleeding worse - but at least she felt better (she was so thirsty as she hadn't had water in 30 hours). Anyway- first thing this morn - back to the vet who said that one tooth they had not been able to suture closed (now you tell me), they called at noon and said they re-sutured her so hopefully she will be on the road to recovery when I pick her up at 5. Hopefully we can get some food and water into her when she gets home, and we all can get soime sleep. We are still washing towels and comforters which have been cleaning up pretty good. Any good ideas of how to get the dried blood out of her fur? The warm wet washcloth works a little, but it was very slow. I can't really use a lot of soap on her muzzle and cheeks which I am sure are sore (or the gums are underneath).

Hydrogen peroxide will help with the blood on her coat. It should be faster and more effective than water. For her cheeks and muzzle, dab the peroxide on with a cotton ball.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sorry she has had all these problems. Is this vet new to greyhounds? I too hope tonight is better for her. Didnt he give you any antibiotics?

Poor baby sure hope you feel better

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My girl just went through teeth extractions and didn't have as many bleeding issues as you. My girl is a known bleeder. Tell your vet you would like a prescription for "AMICAR" (aminocaproic acid). Don't ask, tell. If your vet gives you any problems or questions, here is the link for Dr. Cuoto's study on AMICAR for bleeders. In layman's terms, what the problem with a lot of greyhounds is that their blood has enough clotting ability, it is just that the clots are not strong enough to hold. The AMICAR works pre or post operation and will substantially help with the bleeding, both internally and at the stiches. I know sometimes people want to have 100% trust in their vets, we all need to educate ourselfs (and vets sometimes) on what is going on. Here is the link for Dr. Cuoto to give your vet:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/greyhoundbleeders/index.cfm

My vet while not aware of AMICAR treatment was more than willing to read the info I sent him, and even prescribed said AMICAR for me post-surgery without me having to be a pain in his butt. Good luck.

Chad

You can wipe her face with baby wipes. I use them on Paul who only has five teeth and he always has a purplish stain on his face from licking his chops. Also, sometimes I put a little dog shampoo on a wash cloth and clean his face. You just have to make sure to rinse, so they don't get soap in their mouth.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Update -- got her back and they had resutured her after packing her gums which they did not do the first time. Apparently the vet tech was the person who did the first suturing. So last night no more bleeding, she was really weak, unstable and shaky but she drank quite a bit of water (in small amounts) but would not eat scrambled eggs or soft dog food - I figured she must have been in pain. I did get a pain pill and anti-biotic down her and she slept the night. This morning she is still sleepy, ate a little soft dog food (when hand fed to her) but not out of her bowl, drank more water - went potty and is now sleeping again. Will try some chicken broth in a bit - hopefully she will take some of that to get her strength and appetite going again.

The vet cleaned her up pretty good - with peroxide, which I will have to try.

Thanks for the tip on the blood clotting medicine - I did not know or have heard of that.

I feel so sorry for your poor baby. That is a lot for a 13 yoa to go through poor thing. I am praying for her to recover soon.:hope I would personally be outraged that a tech was allowed to practice on my dog w/o my knowledge when I thought she was receiving treatment from a vet-such as it is. Wonder how many other treatment decisions were made by techs and not a vet. Hard enough to find a vet that knows what they're doing much less a tech. But thats just me. :getwell

Guest FullMetalFrank

Vet techs are allowed to perform sutures required after dental extractions. They are also allowed to perform most other aspects of a dental under the guidance of a vet. At least that is how it is where I live (Oregon.)