Get Em & Fluid Accumulation Under His Jaw

Guest goofydog

Toni, I am very sorry to hear about Get Em... I hope he is feeling better real soon. Sending many Get well wishes and lots of good thoughts.... :grouphug :grouphug :kiss2 :kiss2

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Yup, tht's what his looks like, just not quite as large. What treatment did the group vet recommend?

I think they've just left it alone. The adopter knew what Peeps had when he adopted him and that the vet said it probably wouldn't go away and the adopter was fine with it. I don't think it bothers him (Peeps).

Maybe since you've caught Get Em's early, putting the warm compresses on it might help? I would think that Peeps had his for quite awhile and was probably one of the reasons he was turned in to the shelter (he was non-tattooed so we have no background on him).....don't know that if his was caught early if anything could have been done to fix it. GAC's vet has done the surgery to remove it but has had it come back so she just leaves them alone now.

Thanks Paula! Good information to have in the case of a surgical referral.

Excerpt from the 'Care Of..... 'bible, page 360:

Although the thick saliva can be drained away using a large-bore hypodermic needle or a small incision with a scalpel, the benefit is only temporary. Surgical removal of the offending salivary glands results in total recovery with no residual digestive or performance problem for the patient."

The vet did use a small-bore needle to aspirate a bit of the fluid and it was blood tinged,fairly thick mucous/saliva.

Lots to think about, options to consider and process over the next 5 days. I have to give my sweet boy credit as he stood quietly while being poked, prodded and stuck today.

I didn't talk to GAC's vet personally (someone on the board told me how/why the vet handled Peeps' case the way she did), so it could be that, in the past, she's tried draining the thick saliva surgically and she's not removing the whole gland itself. dunno.gif

Has the vet said that it could be re-absorbed back into his system without surgery?

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest goofydog

Yup, tht's what his looks like, just not quite as large. What treatment did the group vet recommend?

I think they've just left it alone. The adopter knew what Peeps had when he adopted him and that the vet said it probably wouldn't go away and the adopter was fine with it. I don't think it bothers him (Peeps).

Maybe since you've caught Get Em's early, putting the warm compresses on it might help? I would think that Peeps had his for quite awhile and was probably one of the reasons he was turned in to the shelter (he was non-tattooed so we have no background on him).....don't know that if his was caught early if anything could have been done to fix it. GAC's vet has done the surgery to remove it but has had it come back so she just leaves them alone now.

Thanks Paula! Good information to have in the case of a surgical referral.

Excerpt from the 'Care Of..... 'bible, page 360:

Although the thick saliva can be drained away using a large-bore hypodermic needle or a small incision with a scalpel, the benefit is only temporary. Surgical removal of the offending salivary glands results in total recovery with no residual digestive or performance problem for the patient."

The vet did use a small-bore needle to aspirate a bit of the fluid and it was blood tinged,fairly thick mucous/saliva.

Lots to think about, options to consider and process over the next 5 days. I have to give my sweet boy credit as he stood quietly while being poked, prodded and stuck today.

I didn't talk to GAC's vet personally (someone on the board told me how/why the vet handled Peeps' case the way she did), so it could be that, in the past, she's tried draining the thick saliva surgically and she's not removing the whole gland itself. dunno.gif

Has the vet said that it could be re-absorbed back into his system without surgery?

The vet is hoping the warm compresses will adi in the reabsorption of the fluid. I knwo it 'can' happen since it did shrink overnite. If it doesn't I'm not sure if I will put him through the surgery since it appears Peeps has done fine with his being left alone. He'll just sport a bunny dewlap!

Guest goofydog

Get Em is on our minds today. How's he doing?

No change today :( Did several applications last night, one this AM and so far 2 this evening with no obvious benefit. Or maybe there is a benefit in that it hasn't grown any larger during this time. Good news is that he isn't in any discomfort and is his same silly self.

So many hounds are suffering through issues so much worse than what he is and it breaks my heart for them and their Moms & Dads.Thanks for thinking of him and checking on his progress.

Toni and Winston 'Get Em' Churchill

The vet is hoping the warm compresses will adi in the reabsorption of the fluid. I knwo it 'can' happen since it did shrink overnite. If it doesn't I'm not sure if I will put him through the surgery since it appears Peeps has done fine with his being left alone. He'll just sport a bunny dewlap!

I hope the warm compresses start to help soon. goodluck.gif

One of GAC's volunteers called Peeps' little hangy section his "turkey wattle". tongue.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I have two greys that came to me with the exact same looking pouch under their chins. One resolved on its own and has not come back in a year and the other the vet gave him antibiotics and each day on the antibiotics the fluid decreased until it was gone. He still has an empty pouch from skin stretching and the other has no pouch. Call me crazy or my vet but he said that they may have come in contact with a puppy that had an infection. It can't remember what he exactly called it. It is really puzzling to me because use to be a vet tech and have never heard of such a thing. I too saw the pictures of a grey with a block salivary duct and was really worried about them having to get surgery. But antibiotics (I believe Doxy or Cephalexin) took care of it. Hope this helps.

Edited by Fudge

How did I miss this?? Hope Get Em is ok now.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Kassie had the pouch under her jaw and the vet gave her antibiotics and an antihistamine. She was on antibiotics for 3 weeks, her vet thought it was a bug bite.CLICK HERE

I hope you can figure out what's going on with Get Em.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

Guest goofydog

Thanks everyone! The compresses offered only a short reprieve, about 20 minutes or so. Talked with a different vet at the practice last evening and will be picking up a script for abx this afternoon. Fingers crossed they have a positive result like some of you have mentioned.

Guest goofydog

As a matter of interest, what did the vet put him on? Hope they work, even though the pouch isn't bothering him.

1000mg Cephalexin 2x per day x 2 weeks. Going to need a vat of yogurt or probiotics to keep his system anywhere near normal :blink:

From the responses here and via PM it appears that abx treatment reduces the swelling/pouch about 50% of the time, so I think I'll go at it from the half full side rather than half empty! Plus, he's historically had a steel gut :goodluck