Has Anyone Gone Through This?

Guest Xracer

Hello everyone!

I stumbled across your blog and I thought you all be might be able to help. I have owned two rescued greyhounds for over 5 years. My male, "Bailey", who is 7 years of age and has gone down hill health wise. He has dropped over 10 lbs. is less that two weeks. His normal mood has changed as well as vomiting up his normal food that he has ate sense the day that I got him as well a lean hamburger and rice. He has spent the last week and a half at the vet and all of his vital test; liver, kidneys, blood and stool samples have came back negative.

During the time that he has spent at the vet, the veterinarian has administered an I.V. for possible infection as well as scoped his esophagus as well as his stomach. The GI scope showed of the esophagus signs of irritation and the stomach lining was in framed.

The vet has been doing everything they can to keep his stable by giving him steroids to perk up his appetite as well as his overall system. His appetite is dismal at best.

I am leaving towards all of your input, sense I have only just begun the long road of greyhound ownership.

Anything would help greatly.

Xracer

This sounds like something I went through with Betty Joan a few months ago. If your vet hasn't tested proteins, I would check that.

Betty Joan's ultimate problem appears to have been hypoalbuminemia - her albumin protein levels were basically zero. This had apparently been going on for a while, and culminated in some vomiting and weeks of diarrhea and quick drop in weight (53-58 pounds normally down to 42). That was followed by a neurological incident (stroke or vestibular syndrome, still not quite sure).

Betty has recovered - she was weighed today and she's up to 60 pounds!

When our vet had confirmed his earlier suspicions of low protein levels, Betty was put on prednisone (steroids). She's also spent most of the past few months on Prescription Diet I/D dog food. We've just recently stopped using that.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!

Could he have eaten something like a sock or a large piece of rubber from a toy? What about getting into toxic plants? Did your neighbors put down pesticide? Anything like a dead animal in the yard that he could have gotten into?

You may want to discuss with your vet having a consult with OSU (Ohio State University). They have a greyhound wellness program.

The link is

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/consultation/index.cfm

by the way, consults are free

Edited by MaryJane

Could he have eaten something like a sock or a large piece of rubber from a toy? What about getting into toxic plants? Did your neighbors put down pesticide? Anything like a dead animal in the yard that he could have gotten into?

You may want to discuss with your vet having a consult with OSU (Ohio State University). They have a greyhound wellness program.

The link is

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/consultation/index.cfm

by the way, consults are free

Hi MaryJane,

Thanks, I was unable to reply to you last night. Bailey has never been big on toys, my female does, but they are soft squeaky toys. The yard is pretty clear of any toxic plants and I do not use pesticides and I am pretty sure my neighbor does not use them either. I really try my best to give them a clean environment to run and live in.

I did suggest your input about contacting OSU to the vet and he was very open to explore that route.

We are checking on him today and I will let you all know what the vet comes up with. The Vet was leaning towards a serious case of IBS.

Thank you!

Xracer

This sounds like something I went through with Betty Joan a few months ago. If your vet hasn't tested proteins, I would check that.

Betty Joan's ultimate problem appears to have been hypoalbuminemia - her albumin protein levels were basically zero. This had apparently been going on for a while, and culminated in some vomiting and weeks of diarrhea and quick drop in weight (53-58 pounds normally down to 42). That was followed by a neurological incident (stroke or vestibular syndrome, still not quite sure).

Betty has recovered - she was weighed today and she's up to 60 pounds!

When our vet had confirmed his earlier suspicions of low protein levels, Betty was put on prednisone (steroids). She's also spent most of the past few months on Prescription Diet I/D dog food. We've just recently stopped using that.

Hi jshell,

Bailey's alumin protein levels were normal at the first wave of blood tests. This is turning out to be a very elusive illness. He is basically losing a pound a day.. I really hope he is able to bounce out of this..

Xracer

Hello kydie!

We have been in contact with the folks at OSU. Bailey is still stable but his appetite is still dismal. We should get some sort of diagnosis in the next day or so. I will ask the vet about TBD, and get back to you!

Thank you for all of your support!

Xracer

Thanks everyone for your support!

Bailey is at home resting peacefully. I have not heard from OSU regarding his lab results, but I am hoping it will come in the next day or so. I know this is probably not very healthy but he really enjoys eating cheese on everything we give him. I am administering baby food (as a healthier alternative) and injecting it in his mouth with a syringe and washing it down with Pedialyte. When he does eat the chicken and cheese it is only an average if a 1/2 to 3/4 a cup. He is keeping food down but no signs of regaining his weight back. We are trying everything we can think of to spark his appetite.

If anyone has a better idea on having him eat on his own, we are definitely all ears.

I will attach photos of him when he was a strong guy for you all to see..

Thanks again for your prayers and thoughts!!

Xracer

I think everyone would agree that at this point, it doesn't really matter what he eats, but rather that he eats and keeps it down. If you explore this forum, you will find all sorts of suggestions for dogs who have poor appetites for a variety of reasons. Satin balls, doggie meatloaf, baby food meat, tripe, even prescription I/D or A/D can sometimes help. Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

No advice, just sending prayers and gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope you get some answers soon! I agree, at this point , give him whatever he will eat. I think Ensure is nasty, but I had good luck getting Sugar to eat, er, drink that (regular Vanilla, not one of the enhanced ones) and tuna. Some people have had good luck sprinkling nutritional yeast on food.

Has he had a chest/abdominal ultrasound?

I've had good luck with ensure.

Hello Swifthounds,

Bailey has had a chest x-rays as well as a abdominal ultrasound preformed. There were no masses or blockage present.

Insure is a great idea, I will try that.

Thanks!

Xracer

We recently had a somewhat similiar incident with Gus. He vomited, then was fine, then over the course of a week began vomiting pretty regularly. Like you, our vet ran bloodwork and all was normal. The x-rays he took of his stomach were fine. We were just at the point of a scope when Gus pooped out a large piece of stuffy. It didn't show up on the films and just slowly, slowly passed through his GI tract. He had lost about 4 pounds in 10 days and we were really concerned. Had he not passed the toy and the scope come up with nothing, I can't say what my vet would have done. I wish I had more advice, but I thought I'd pass on our experience as something you could consider. Is your dog a toy eater? Gus can rip apart and eat a piece of toy in seconds (which is why there is no unsupervised stuffy time anymore :( ). Please keep us updated and I hope you can an answer soon!

I'm so sorry to see Bailey going through this. You can't help but be very worried and concerned. Something we found that was easy for our pup to get down when ill with no appetite was mashed potatoes with some shredded boiled chicken on top. (I used instant potatoes as they were smooth to eat). At times I would hand feed this to him but he seemed to take this when nothing else worked. You could also heat up some Lipton Chicken noodle soup from the package and serve Bailey lukewarm broth with a few noodles in it. It might be soothing to an inflamed stomach.

Good luck in finding some answers for your pup. All our thoughts are with you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy