Hi! I'm New Here

Guest MarvinsMom

Guest MarvinsMom

Hi guys,

I already posted in the training and behavior forum, but thought I should introduce myself here, too!

My name's Deb, I'm married to Brian and have a 7 year old, Jack. We live by Raleigh, NC and love it here. We have 1 kitty, Piper and just adopted Marvin on 8/27/11. He's our first greyhound.

We've had two previous cats and one dog, all at the rainbow bridge.

I thought I did a lot of research, but am having problems housebreaking and training him. He's great and easy going, but he needs basic obedience training and housebreaking (we trained our other dog, and she was a whiz, he just doesn't seem to "get" much :blink: )

I'm glad to be here and love reading about everybody's dogs and looking at pics. Once I figure out how, I'll put Marvin's pic in my signature or avatar.

That's all. :P

Deb

Welcome from Ohio!

I'm sure you'll get tons of greyt advice. Folks on this forum are awesome.

PS...It took me a month to figure out how to get a picture in avatar (& then only with Trudy's help)

3 months to figure out how to post pictures....and I still don't have a "real" siggie.

To say I'm a little technically challenged is putting it mildly. :P

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest MarvinsMom

Thanks guys. I tried photobucket and can't figure that out either. I'll figure it out hopefully.

Everybody is really supportive here, I'm almost as happy that I found this place as I am having adopted Marvin!

Guest MarvinsMom

Marvin's racing name was GMC Cantgetright. :)

housebreaking is going. Unfortunately, whenever he walks anywhere, we follow, he's still having accidents. Sometimes he walks to the door and walks away...that's subtle enough for us to think he has to go. He's a champ at going and going quickly outside. Hoping we can let him roam a little freer in the house soon.

He's a sweet heart :wub:

Marvin's racing name was GMC Cantgetright. :)

housebreaking is going. Unfortunately, whenever he walks anywhere, we follow, he's still having accidents. Sometimes he walks to the door and walks away...that's subtle enough for us to think he has to go. He's a champ at going and going quickly outside. Hoping we can let him roam a little freer in the house soon.

He's a sweet heart :wub:

Hi there!

Have you tried putting belly bands on him when he is in the house? Our Toby came to us straight off the track and when we brought him in the house for the first time, he ran around marking everything! He came from the track with a couple of belly bands, and once I started using them in the house, and he figured out he wasn't supposed to mark in the house, he had the housebreaking thing down in all of 2 days. Toby was our first greyhound and I'd never even heard of a belly band before. Thank goodness the adoption group sent a couple home with him. Let me know if you need more info.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome to greytalk!

In case no one has suggested this, if the peeing in the house continues or if it is more like peeing than marking, you might want to have him checked for a urinary tract infection.

If it is not a UTI, I second the belly band. It can do wonders and can also save your carpeting.

Jane

Bummer, no pic of him on greyhound-data.

FWIW, I bought a belly band for Coltane from Heart of Texas Greyhound Adoptons, and I was pleased with I. :)

Edited by Saharasmom

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds