Probiotics

Zoolady

We feed kibble in the morning and raw at night. Once in a while one of the four will get a grumbly tummy in the morning for which a Pepcid takes care of it.

I saw on another board, ONE person gave routinely probiotics with no stomach issues at all.

I was wondering if any GTers give them and if so, what kind and dosage do you give? :dunno

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

I give prozyme daily. I am not sure what it exactly does, but, I am afraid to stop. Like, it it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest crazy4greys

I used to give Tucker Probiotics (I think it was by Pro Plan, I got it at the vets), but now he gets Tylan power 2x a day instead. He can't digest grain, so he gets that with a grain free food.

Prozyme is digestive enzymes, totally different from probiotics. I give that too -- may not make any difference but Beth has such a fabulous coat, I don't want to stop anything that may contribute. Probiotics I try to remember to give once a week or so, more often if Beth is on antibiotics, or has eaten poop. Not sure what difference it makes. She gets some high-quality yogurt daily too (mostly because she likes it). I'd definitely do probiotics with raw, given that there's always the chance of getting bad bacteria in the food.

My vet now recommends a newer probiotic called Proviable -- he used to recommend Fortiflora but thinks this is better. It's pricey, which is one reason I don't use it that often. One capsule sprinkled on the food (daily or however often) is the dose.

Some kibbles have probiotics added, BTW, though I don't know how the dosage or viability compares.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Wendy has taken Fortiflora almost since day one. No more paint peeling gas nor any tummy troubles.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I use Wysong Add-Life as a supplement for pro & prebiotic, as well as, other things like anti-oxidants. My guys also get fish oil and glucosomine and I vary their diet by keeping the kibble pretty standard and adding different types of canned so that they don't build up an intolerance to a protein.

I put a spoonful of plain stuffed with probiotics yogurt on Ruby's dinner each night. She LOVES it and her gas is gone, poo looks great and her coat is shiny. A lot cheaper than the stuff at the vets too. I put it on the kibble and then put some warm water over it and stir. I also do it because my girl doesn't drink water at all, so I think it makes it tastier for her.

Karen

Guest Swifthounds

I used to give Tucker Probiotics (I think it was by Pro Plan, I got it at the vets), but now he gets Tylan power 2x a day instead. He can't digest grain, so he gets that with a grain free food.

Why the Tylan? Is that long term?

Prozyme is digestive enzymes, totally different from probiotics. I give that too -- may not make any difference but Beth has such a fabulous coat, I don't want to stop anything that may contribute. Probiotics I try to remember to give once a week or so, more often if Beth is on antibiotics, or has eaten poop. Not sure what difference it makes. She gets some high-quality yogurt daily too (mostly because she likes it). I'd definitely do probiotics with raw, given that there's always the chance of getting bad bacteria in the food.

My vet now recommends a newer probiotic called Proviable -- he used to recommend Fortiflora but thinks this is better. It's pricey, which is one reason I don't use it that often. One capsule sprinkled on the food (daily or however often) is the dose.

Some kibbles have probiotics added, BTW, though I don't know how the dosage or viability compares.

Thanks for the explanation. I never realized the difference.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds