"meaty Knuckle Bone"?

Guest BrindleBoy

Guest BrindleBoy

A friend bought us a Red Barn Naturals "Meaty Knuckle Bone"... it says "dog treat". It does not say if it's cooked or not, I know cooked bones are a no-no; but it's BROWN. No idea if it's pork or beef, or...? It's the size of a very large fist. Just trying to find out if it's safe or not? Red Barn's official description says "These are the extremities of the mammoth bones that are removed, cleaned and lightly smoked."

We're trying to find something Indy will chew. He loves Nylabones, but eats small pieces of them, then throws them up the next morning. We've tried the Durabones, but he doesn't seem to be interested in anything that hard... it doesn't "give". Antlers... wouldn't chew those. He loves chewing various squeeky toys, but they last 3-10 minutes before they're destroyed.

So I guess, first question- are the knuckle bones safe? Second question- what in the world can I get for this dog to chew?

Edited by BrindleBoy

If it's smoked it's cooked. I only give mine raw bones straight from the store or butcher.

Same here.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Swifthounds

If it's smoked, it's cooked. If it's a weight bearing bone of a large ungulate (like a cow) it's many, many multiples harder than a canine tooth and not appropriate. Two strikes.

If it's a raw bone with a bit of meat covering and from a smaller animal like a pork shoulder, it's a fine choice for a greyhound sized dog.

Agreeing with those above on both counts; cooked and too hard a bone. I wouldn't give that to my hounds.

Have you already tried bullysticks for Indy? Raw turkey necks?

Guest Bean_Scotch

I've fed my dogs those knuckle bones for years. They are great for teeth cleaning. They have never splintered and are well tolerated by all 4 of my dogs, plus the 50+ fosters that have come through here. I would highly recommend them.

Never smoked or cooked bones. A friend of mine did it for years with her grey until the grey had to have $5000.00 worth of surgery to get a blockage out. It was the bone pieces.

Chicken backs, turkey necks, bullysticks, marrow bones and sting ray tails here.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Dick and Melissa -- are those raw knuckle bones that you/the kennels are giving? That's different from smoked or cooked.

Nichole, sting ray tails I've never heard of! Tell us more -- what are they like, where in the world do you get them?

Dick and Melissa -- are those raw knuckle bones that you/the kennels are giving? That's different from smoked or cooked.

Nichole, sting ray tails I've never heard of! Tell us more -- what are they like, where in the world do you get them?

petextras.com

My dogs love them. A change from bullysticks. They don't last as long as bullysticks, but they are different.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest KennelMom

I gave smoked bones from the pet store in my early days with no issues, other than some loose stool occasionally. Now, I only give them raw and big bones from cows need to be sliced so the dogs can lick out the marrow rather than chew on the bone...it's like nature's kong.

Guest BrindleBoy

Indy won't chew kong-type products. Empty them, yes. CHEW them, no. Won't chew anything hard: durabones, antlers... both a no-go. He destroys, swallows, and vomits nylabones. He needs something with 'give", but that he can't destroy/eat.