Glucosamine Chondroitin

Guest weisster

Guest weisster

Poor darrel is on so many meds and it's a real catch all. I'm told to feed him first, than deramaxx. Well, I can't get him to eat first. I use the get up and go from greyhound gang. I just added the chondroitin to the glucosamine (both are powder. But that means I'm adding 2 teaspoons into his food and I don't thin that much tastes all that good.

So, my question is. Can I buy a human pill of glucosaming/chondroitin, mash it up and put it in his food. Appreciate your thoughts

Guest Swifthounds

If you want a pill form for a dog (and you can pill a dog - hiding won't work) you want to look for capsules, not caplets or tablets. Hard pills will pass through a hound's comparatively shorter GI tract - usually mostly intact - and you won't get the desired result. You'll want the glucosamine HCL.

The form may be more convenient for handling, but the amount won't be less since the G&G don't contain fillers.

I get mine from Puritan's Pride.

Poor Darrel. To get the powdered meds into him, you could buy plain capsules from the pharmacy and fill them yourself, then tempt Darrel with them tucked into a piece of cheese or chicken or peanut butter, whatever treat he likes.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Swifthounds

Why not give it to him in the form of something tasty-like a Fresh Factor/or Joint Health? Or the J-Flex is so concentrated just an ~1/8 of a teaspoon would be a dose. Mine think FFactors are treats.

I've asked this before, but how much of this do people give? One 1800mg "scoop" is advised per 40 lbs of dog according to the info on the website, but using the numbers they provide a single scoop is about 1/5 of daily maintenance dose of glucosamine for a greyhound size dog and better or slightly worse ratios for the other ingredients. How much do people actually give?

I don't want to hijack, but I also have the same question as OP.

I'm trying to do some research for Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSN etc. I personally am a recent user of G/C/M and I feel it's made a difference in me, and I believe my boys would benefit from it too, both for different reasons.

What I've learned so far is really limiting to me:

1. It is easier to find this for humans in any pill format than it is in powder only(esp. to buy here in Canada - even looking online)

2. Should I ever get around to purchasing, I should look for capsules, not caplets or tablets.

3. It's really hard to find ingredients in these items that Kasey is not allergic to so keeping full ingredient listings on the bottles is a necessity, esp. since I'm searching online.

4. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on all of this. I understand it's an extra cost, but it shouldn't be hundreds of dollars to supplement 2 dogs for a couple months.

My search is so futile over the past couple days and I have looked up all the brands listed so far in this thread. Any other thoughts on suppliers? Is there a separate thread on this at all - as I've searched the forum to no avail so I'd appreciate a little guidance.

Thanks!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Swifthounds

What is Kasey allergic to?

Sorry i didn't respond earlier to you PM. I went straight from an IT nightmare at work to al these silly people panicking over a small storm.

Allergies? - nearly everything LOL

Specifically that are off the list for starters that I've found that can be commonly found in these supplements:

Soybean

Kelp

His full list is buried in my basement since I'm doing some house painting, but I do have his majors in my head.

I have a moral issue buying Shark cartilage, so I prefer to have Bovine.

Proudly owned by:

I'm beside myself that I can get G/C/M in tablet format (all ingredients Kasey friendly) from Costco for $20 for 240 tablets and I can't get close to that for a dog version (powder or capsules)....what gives?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Just got back from the vets, for dogs in the 61 - 100 lbs range for the Initial Administration (first 4 - 6 weeks) they want 2000 mg of glucosamine (or 2 tablets) in the AM & PM and then after that 1000 mg (or 1 tablet) in the AM & PM...they were recommending Glyco-Flex, which has 1000 mg glucosamine HCl and 600 mg Perna canalliculus (pre-cursor for chondroitin) for 1 tablet/2 chews

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I'm beside myself that I can get G/C/M in tablet format (all ingredients Kasey friendly) from Costco for $20 for 240 tablets and I can't get close to that for a dog version (powder or capsules)....what gives?

Are the dosages correct for what your pup needs?

Also, can we ever give too much glucosamine/chondroitin? Because I know I can get them for fairly cheap at Sams as well (nearest Costco is abut 50 min away on the expressway).

Guest Swifthounds

Just got back from the vets, for dogs in the 61 - 100 lbs range for the Initial Administration (first 4 - 6 weeks) they want 2000 mg of glucosamine (or 2 tablets) in the AM & PM and then after that 1000 mg (or 1 tablet) in the AM & PM...they were recommending Glyco-Flex, which has 1000 mg glucosamine HCl and 600 mg Perna canalliculus (pre-cursor for chondroitin) for 1 tablet/2 chews

That's actually low. Initial loading dose for a greyhound sized dose is double the standard dose of glucosamine. Standard = 1500mg. Loading = 3000mg.

That's actually low. Initial loading dose for a greyhound sized dose is double the standard dose of glucosamine. Standard = 1500mg. Loading = 3000mg.

Good to know, because I've been looking at pills/liquids online to see what I was going to pick up. I got the dosage right off the sheet the vet gave me, so I'll give Zelda more...thanks!

Do you know what it is for the chondroitin? There are all sorts of different amounts out there.

Edited by kolarik1

Guest Greytluv

If you want a pill form for a dog (and you can pill a dog - hiding won't work) you want to look for capsules, not caplets or tablets. Hard pills will pass through a hound's comparatively shorter GI tract - usually mostly intact - and you won't get the desired result. You'll want the glucosamine HCL.

The form may be more convenient for handling, but the amount won't be less since the G&G don't contain fillers.

Which one do you get? I give G&G. I'm not sure I should stick with that or change :dunno

What is G&G? And why is it that so many of the serving size for these pills/capsules is 2 or 3...to get the correct loading for each dose, I'd be giving Zelda anywhere from 6 - 9 pills in the AM & PM...that's outrageous!

Guest Swifthounds

For chondroitin you want 1200 to 3000. I usually don't go lower than 1200 or 1500. You want to do the same type of loading dose as with glucosamine (which should be glucosamine HCL). The shark cartilage version is more absorbable than that made from mammals.

I don't have the PP bottle in front of me. I'll check when I get home.

Couldn't you crush up the tablets and then give them to the dogs? Or crush them up and then put them in capsules?

I can get this, but again...it'd be 6 tablets morning and night for the load time, which is an awful lot rite aid version plus they're tablets, so I'd have to crush them or something

My dad and Sammi take the same amount. A couple years ago, my dad bought wafers, not capsules and gave them to me. Sammi loves them and crunches them up either as a "cookie" or in her food. So I get those now. He also clued me into the trick of watching the pharmacies (Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc..) and stocking up when they do their BOGO deals on them.

I get ours from Puritan Pride also. We only are giving Glucosamine and msm. PP sells MSM in a powder form and I get the 1500 mg glucosamine tablets and crush them with a pill crusher. None of the dogs seem to mind that it's mixed into their food. Everyone get 1500 mg glucosamine and the old girls get 1500 mg msm daily.

Trish, Thorpe, Thorton, Solstice and Remy
Come see us at Milkys Greyt Goodies Fleece coats, cool-down coats, pajamas and Scrunchies for the well dressed greyhound

I get ours from Puritan Pride also. We only are giving Glucosamine and msm. PP sells MSM in a powder form and I get the 1500 mg glucosamine tablets and crush them with a pill crusher. None of the dogs seem to mind that it's mixed into their food. Everyone get 1500 mg glucosamine and the old girls get 1500 mg msm daily.

So is this 1500 mg glucosamine daily or twice daily?

Also, is there any way to buy just chondroitin? I found a glucosamine HCl that is a 3000 mg pill (which I could halve after loading), but it doesn't have the chondroitin in it.

Edited by kolarik1

Are the dosages correct for what your pup needs?

Also, can we ever give too much glucosamine/chondroitin? Because I know I can get them for fairly cheap at Sams as well (nearest Costco is abut 50 min away on the expressway).

I did not even get close to the dosages yet, I'm just trying to nail down the right brand first.

The Costco bottle has:

Glucosamine - 500 mg

Chondroitin - 400 mg

MSM - 400 mg

That's 1300mg combined. A human takes 3 times a day = 3900 mg. So I guess that guideline of 1500-2000mg to start a greyhound is realistic (at least in my mind).

I have found a powder format that doesn't contain any fillers (still waiting for them to email me the ingredient list) and it's going for $37.99 for 160 gram. It's combined G/C/M so I have no idea what the dosage would be for a combined powder, but I'm guessing I would be dosing 2000mg a day divided by how many meals they get, in my case 2 = 1000mg per meal. I'd get 80 days out of that for 1 boy. Sound right?

Proudly owned by: