High Prey Drive *trigger Warning* And Raw Feeding

Guest firegypsy

Guest firegypsy

So I have to bribe Paladin to go out at night. This is new since the panacur, but within the range of normal I guess. Anyway, tonight I got out the treats, lured him downstairs and got him outside. A second later I hear a scream. I got my shoes on and ran out to see the two dogs playing tug of war. With a rabbit. He caught, killed and is currently eating a rabbit. I guess that answers some questions for me regarding raw. I've been doing raw with him (just chicken) and it's been going well-for him. Darby isn't taking to it 100% but is getting there. However after tonight I've no questions-if he's willing to eat what he's caught then I guess raw is the way to go.

I've just never had a dog that has eaten it's spoils. It's kind of weird, but biologically normal I guess. In all of this my anxiety is shining through because the directions for panacur state that you shouldn't feed raw meat while they're on it. I couldn't have anticipated this! :blink:

I think the main worm they could get from eating rabbits is hydatid tapes, which Panacur doesn't treat. You need praziquantel for those. That said, my pups have never gotten worms from any prey they've consumed.

Edited because I'm wrong. Panacur doesn't treat common dog tapeworms but does treat the Taenia tapes they might get from eating infested prey.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My husky ate a rabbit (I think the greys caught it) I asked my vet about it and he said the chance of getting a tapeworm from one rabbit was minuscule. Ha also said the type of tapeworm a dog can get from rabbits doesn't cause illness, it's just a cosmetic problem. I have not verified this info, so just one vets thoughts.

siggy2.jpg

My husky ate a rabbit (I think the greys caught it) I asked my vet about it and he said the chance of getting a tapeworm from one rabbit was minuscule. Ha also said the type of tapeworm a dog can get from rabbits doesn't cause illness, it's just a cosmetic problem. I have not verified this info, so just one vets thoughts.

I don't even understand this--the worms you can get from a rabbit are "a cosmetic problem"? Seems like an odd thing for a veterinarian to say.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest firegypsy

I don't even understand this--the worms you can get from a rabbit are "a cosmetic problem"? Seems like an odd thing for a veterinarian to say.

agreed....worms can cause hair loss, rashes and all kinds of weird things that are on the "outside," but those are not just cosmetic. They're outward manifestations of a deeper problem. I guess I am just confused. I could be missing something-I'm no expert!

I'd not worry about it at all in our case (or not much anyway) if panacur didn't have that explicit warning.

I think the main worm they could get from eating rabbits is hydatid tapes, which Panacur doesn't treat. You need praziquantel for those. That said, my pups have never gotten worms from any prey they've consumed.

My understanding is that Panacur does indeed kill the Taenia type of tapeworms which dogs may get from eating their rabbit kills.

My understanding is that Panacur does indeed kill the Taenia type of tapeworms which dogs may get from eating their rabbit kills.

Ah, you're right, it does!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

If the rabbit is infected (tapeworm cysts in the muscle tissue), the tapeworms won't show up until several weeks from now (that's how long they take to "hatch" and mature), so you'll need to deworm again then.

Guest firegypsy

If the rabbit is infected (tapeworm cysts in the muscle tissue), the tapeworms won't show up until several weeks from now (that's how long they take to "hatch" and mature), so you'll need to deworm again then.

Exactly. The panacur they're on now isn't going to help them!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused over the OP. I don't think killing and fighting over a prey animal is really related to eating raw served as a meal. They're just different things. Lots of dogs with zero prey drive eat raw, and lots of dogs with tons of prey drive don't.

As far as ill-effects from the rabbit - I really wouldn't worry about it. If your dog had worms, which I assume is why you treated with Panacur - I'd have the stool checked in a month regardless, sometimes it takes a couple treatments, they can reinfect easily from feces. Or maybe the rabbit - but I wouldn't necessarily blame the rabbit.

I would suggest putting the dogs on Interceptor monthly, and you're covered.

I also never read/heard that dogs shouldn't eat raw on panacur. I believe you, I just never heard that. I've fed raw and used Panacur before, and it was fine. huh. Maybe I goofed!

ETA - what does "trigger warning" mean?

Edited by sobesmom