Flea Treatment For A Cat

I need suggestions for treating fleas on a cat. She's an indoor cat and though she's scratching, the owner hasn't seen any fleas or bit bitten herself. Her dog is also scratching but she hasn't seen any fleas on him.

They live in an apartment. Fleas could possibly come in via the dog when he goes outside or from the upstairs neighbor's patio (wooden with drain cracks).

This cat cannot be given a pill nor can one be snuck into her food.

Don't want to use a flea collar.

This kitty does not like to be handled but will tolerate a bath. How many days after a bath can a topical treatment be applied? Doggy's getting a bath too but he'll get a Capstar.

Products available from the vet are:

Frontline

Advantage Multi

Revolution

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Don't they make a Capstar kitty size?

I'd give the cat a bath FIRST with a flea shampoo. Then use Frontline on it.

If I try to pill this cat my arms might up being bloody stumps. :lol

I thought you weren't supposed to bathe them first if you're going to use a topical? Or is that only for dogs?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest BiancasMom

I was told by the Frontline rep to wait about 3 days after a bath before applying it because Frontline uses the oils in the skin to be dispersed. It does not get absorbed into the skin. As far as Revoultion (which i prefer for cats, it works great and does ear mites too) I was told you can apply it immediately after a bath because it is alchohol based (not oil like Frontline) and is absorbed into the skin. Hope this helps. Also, tell your friend to make sure the dog is treated as well, or it could continue to bring fleas inside.

I use Frontline Plus and now Walmart is selling Pet Armor Plus/same ingredients as Frontline Plus for less $$. Have never bathed my cats before applying, neither of them would tolerate that!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest budsmom

Whatever you use, make sure it's labelled for cats. Cats are very similar to our hounds in that they are sensitive to drugs, etc. A product labelled for dogs is too strong to use on a cat.

Florida has been extremely horrible this year with fleas and mosquitoes. Having 4 cats - three of whom have access to a screened in porch and pool enclosure, it has been a battle since April 1. Last month I tried Advantage II for the first time and I love it! The effects seem to be lasting the entire 30 days, too, where the regular Advantage and Frontline Plus seemed to be effective for a couple of weeks. No reactions, no other issues. Even though the yard is sprayed with Adams and I vacuum the house and dog beds daily, I know I am just winning small skirmishes - not even close to winning the war because the hounds are walked through the neighborhood four times a day and the cats are on the porches for many hours at a time.

Not sure about the bathing issue, but I was told by my Vet that the cautionary instructions about application after bathing are more to insure that the animal is completely DRY before application?? That may have had more to do with Advantage since it is not waterproof like Frontline is.

Will have to check out Revolution!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I have ordered and am going to try something completely new! It's from http://www.petzlife.com/index.php , the same people that make the awesome and highly recommended by vets (both allopathic and holistic). It's a powder (called ProtectZ) that you put in their food for 5 days, after which they will be protected from fleas and ticks for 2-3 months. The only thing to note is that they must be Flea Free when you start the 5 days; I've talked to people who have used it and gave it rave reviews -- I figure it's worth a try. It isn't even pricey! And it is safe for both cats and dogs. We'll give a review after we give it a good 'test drive', but frankly -- it's safe and inexpensive so I figured it was definitely worth trying. Especially since the PetzLife dental products have such great reviews from vets like Dr. Radcliffe from West Virginia.

Just thought I'd mention it.. will report back.

Don't they make a Capstar kitty size?

I'd give the cat a bath FIRST with a flea shampoo. Then use Frontline on it.

If I try to pill this cat my arms might up being bloody stumps. :lol

I thought you weren't supposed to bathe them first if you're going to use a topical? Or is that only for dogs?

Oh, possibly!

I'd run in front of a train naked before I'd ever try to bathe a cat again--last time it wasn't pretty, and I got so cut up I ended up letting the cat run off covered with soap!

I have a cat pilling trick! Get a common drinking straw--cut a slit aross one end (just slice right across the hole). Stick the pill in the slit. Stick the straw in the cat's mouth as far as you can, pull out straw, run. No, just kidding about that! I find wrapping them in a towel like a mummy before attempting this is very helpful. Also sitting on the mummy wrapped cat--gently of course!

:colgate

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck