Bravo's Scheduled For Dental Tomorrow-Update Post 10

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Guest Mom2Shiloh

or something.... He's having his dental at a very high end vet practice -- that is, they are careful, have all the latest equipment and techniques and the vet who is doing it is experienced and most importantly, experienced with Greyhounds. She is also an expert with anesthesia, especially the newer, quick reversing ones.

Bravo definitely needs the dental.. he needs deep scaling and they are going to use some kind of gel to try to get his gums to stop receding so badly. His teeth and gums have gotten very bad very quickly, serious gum disease, much inflamation. Brushing, PetzLife gel, Fidodent herbal (for gingivitis) have not helped much.

He has also developed some other problems in the past few months -- he had very high Lipase in May, high enough to cancel the dental that had been scheduled at another clinic. That has resolved with the addition of Acetylator to his meals. He had gained some weight, I've reduced his portions by a third but between the beginning of May and 2 weeks ago he had Gained 8 pounds.

And, in the last 1-2 months, his nose has gone from shoe-button black to a liver color :( I panicked, because I immediately thought of Lupus. My vet says that his blood work doesn't show any indication that he might have Lupus and mentioned that low thyroid or exposure to an auto-immune disease could trigger the color change. But his thyroid is only .8, which for a greyhound isn't really clinically low. We put him on Nutrigest for the thyroid .. that is supposed to stimulate healthier thyroid activity, not necessarily bring the number up -- and that is okay. But there is something wrong with my dog that we have not found yet and I'm wondering if he might just have one of the tick-borne diseases.

I want to ask that a sample be sent to North Carolina state for tick-borne disease testing.. but I also wonder, if he Does have a tick-borne disease, is it safe to proceed with the dentistry and anesthesia. I'm going to ask if they have Amicar on hand in case of bleeding risk.

Has anyone else had their dog's nose change from deep black to liver colored in such a short time? Do you know what caused it? His nose is Not flaking or peeling and he doesn't have anything odd going on with his feet.

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Best thoughts for Bravo.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest MyCody

Carla, I'm so sorry to be reading this. I hope he is alright and will send prayers. It sounds like he has come down with afew things very quickly, that frightens me too.

Please keep us informed and let us know what's going on.

Terry and Charlie

Good thoughts for Bravo. I have no idea about the colour change with his nose.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BiancasMom

My old Aussie had lupus. His nose went from black to pink, not brown. The tell tale sign was that he also lost the "cobblestone" appearance or texture on his nose. Is anything else changing to brown on Bravo? His eyelids? Hope he is ok. Oh, and my Aussie had several dentals while he had lupus and was just fine. :)

We got a dog into our group who ended up having clotting issues from a TBD. Thankfully we caught it before his neuter. He went on Doxy and after ? long he was fine and able to have his surgery as the clotting issues went away. Is your vet doing pre surgical blood work? You can always ask to test for clotting issues. On the paperwork for our dog we had actually written that he was a bleeder (or possible bleeder, I just can't remember exactly what I wrote). The vet heard/saw that he may be a bleeder and did the necessary blood work.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think tick disease?

If no change in texture, no crusties, no inflammation, the nose could be just a seasonal or age-related change. Happens sometimes for reasons no one understands.

How high was the lipase? Unless there are clinical signs, usually you don't worry unless it's several times the high end of normal. Even then, without other bloodwork anomalies, sometimes you just get an oddball blood value that disappears on its own.

If you suspect a bleeding issue and you have to have surgery, a dental is probably the best kind to have. Easier to pack things and control bleeding in that type of surgery than in other types.

Hugs and best luck to your pup!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Batmom -- I was suspecting a tick-borne disease partly because I'm paranoid about tick-borne diseases, I admit. But mostly because the nose color change, the jumpiness, the weight gain and a definite worsening of his gum problem all happened in a relatively short period of time-- the nose color happened within a month actually. Turns out he does have low-grade Anaplasmosis, which is what they are calling one of the 2 kinds of erlichia now, and will be on 28 days of Doxy. Bravo just had a bunch of small to moderate symptoms that came on all of a sudden and I tend to want to rule out TBDs when that happens.

With the high lipase, which has resolved to a high normal with 2 months on Acetylator, it was at 4000, which is very high - and I was told that was a chronic pancreatitis diagnosis.

Bravo is home and napping, Silver is laying right next to his bed and Bravo props his chin on Silver part of the time -- my boys :blush I have a Very sweet pack, I really do. I got to wait with him this morning till it was time for him to go in and the staff couldn't have been nicer. Because he had a panic attack on their smooth floors 2 weeks ago, they laid down runner rugs in front of everywhere he had to go and he had someone with him all day. Very careful monitoring, a lot of fluids and homeopathics for support. All of his molars, top and bottom, got packed with Doxy. Gel and he lost the front 2 bottom (little tiny) teeth. I hadn't been able to see anything wrong with them, but he started refusing to take hard treats or anything with his front teeth about 6 months ago so it doesn't surprise me.

He'll be on canned food for at least 2 weeks and after that I might try home cooking. I'm going to be using Fidodent (for gum disease prevention) and PetzLife gel (to prevent plaque) on alternate days and using a cordless waterpik 2ce a day to get all the food debris out. We'll see whether he can maintain healthy gums that way. *I'll* feel better once he pees!!! and I know he's going to be very sore for a few days, but I think he's going to be just fine. Thanks everyone for the good energy :)

Glad he's home and that his day went relatively well. Hope he heals up quickly and gets rid of the tbd!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I hate to sound like a neurotic mom (even though I am I guess) -- but he still hasn't pee'd :( It is 9:30 p.m. here, and he hasn't gone since sometime between 8 and 9 this morning. I'm planning to call the vet if we're still dry by morning but hope I'm not neglecting something that could be a serious problem.... any thoughts?

Could they have catheterized him during the surgery? Assume his hydration seems good?

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I know they didn't catheterize him.. he actually was only "under" about 45 minutes -- they called me as soon as he was out and waking... Cheryl, who was his main tech today (and has been working with racing greyhounds since forever) was expecting him to pee when she walked him before we put him in my car to go home. He stands and looks uncomfortable, but that is just as likely because his mouth hurts like #$%#@@ and he's still a bit loopy from the meds. I'm probably over reacting... but it sure is nice to have some place to vent. Just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be Doing Something :blink: My daughter reminds me that some of hers have held it 24 hours when it's raining..... thanks....

Just don't be annoyed with him if he does let it all go while you're asleep, or says he has to go but can't get outside quite fast enough. Happens sometimes when pups are recovering from anaesthesia. (And I know you know that, with your experience, but you know me, had to say it anyways.)

Guest Mom2Shiloh

It's okay to say things you know that I know -- :colgate Sometimes it helps to hear them anyway!! I honestly don't care WHERE he goes, I may cheer!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I got some great suggestions last night but, despite many little walks in the dark nothing. But this morning everything is back to normal ... phew!! I am, of course, Very relieved -- but not as much as Bravo :) Thanks for being there while I fretted.

Ah, peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Glad things are OK this a.m.