Pressure Sores

Guest dramaqueen

Guest dramaqueen

Ruby got her splint off & her toe looks great but she has a pressure sore on the side bone of her paw. 2 others are OK & are healing. She keeps licking & there is conflicting views on the licking, but this one is kind of deep. Is there any suggestions as to what I can clean it with or put on it to try and help her heal? Thank you for any info you may offer.

Larry had pressure sores after his splint was removed, his foster mommy used raw (minooka?) honey on them and it worked great. Not sure what she used to wash and wrap though :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We just went through this with a broken leg dog at the adoption kennel. Clean it and cover in raw, unpasteurized honey. Wrap with gauze and vet wrap. Muzzle Ruby if necessary. You'll be amazed at how fast it heals. :)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

NO LICKING! It'll just make it bigger and keeping it moist with spit won't help it heal.

It can take a while for a deep pressure sore to completely heal out, so be patient with whatever method you choose.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

To heal Harold's recent spider bite we used honey ( and antibiotics). No-stick gauze pad over a dab of honey, vet wrap, and toddle sock to cover. I used Vicks VapoRub to discourage sticking the sock.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I saw someone yesterday who came up with the coolest idea for covering foot wounds. Get an adult man's tube sock and slit it starting an inch from the hole and leaving a few inches at the bottom. You now have a sock with a long strap- put the injured foot in the sock and pull the strap over the head so it rests behind the shoulders. No need to fasten, tape, or tie anything at all! It's hard to explain so I'll try to come up with a visual aid...

Guest dramaqueen

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I found 100% pure honey with an actual honeycomb in the jar, it doesn't say RAW honey will this be OK to use? Thanks again Ruby's Mom

Guest dramaqueen

Thank you everyone for your suggstions. Ruby is doing much better today and her sores look good. It's nice to know that all greyhound people are great & even though you don't know either I or my Ruby I'd like all to know that your responses were greatly appreciated. To all the greys out there RUN FREE LIKE THE WIND!