Osteo Thread

Guest roselle

I'm more and more confused after reading the last few pages. I KNOW Freya is in pain but I also know she is having fun/enjoying herself as well. Where do you draw the line? How do you know it's time? With my last dog, a lab x, he had to be put down at age 17 in April 2010. He wouldn't eat, had a large tumour, wasn't comfortable etc. We KNEW but then at the same point on our last little walk just before going into the vet he chased a squirrel!! We still knew though. With Freya, i don't know. :(

She is in pain but she is also happy. The pain is not constant, i don't think.

i.e.

- she does not use her hind leg AT ALL anymore. Carries it in the air and has gotten very good on three legs.

- she has difficulty getting up the 3 small steps in the garden (our garden is divided into 2 sections, by steps unfortunately) I know on the one hand I should stop her climbing them but when my OH isn't home I can't lift her there alone and she LOVES the grass more than anything.

- She has less energy than she did - can't go on long walks, needs rests on small walks, sleeps more.

BUT

- is as happy and hyper and wiggly as ever to see us when we come in the door

- barks and plays with her younger sister when y.s gets too playful

- tail wags and kisses us

- goes crazy when it's walkie time - even though she can't do much of a walk now

- great appetite

- at night time takes INTENSE pleasure is running (yes running) out of the kitchen knowing that the other 2 hounds have to sleep downstairs and that daddy will carry her upstairs to sleep in our room!

My OH and I picked three things that make Freya 'Freya' and decided that when two of these go, it's time. Our three things are 1) her hyper excitement at walk time 2) appetite and 3)general bounciness when we come in the door.

They haven't gone yet.

Suzanne, everyone is right. First and foremost kiss your baby 100x/d take lots of pictures. Hug her to death. You will know. I was so hung up on (the cough) I almost missed the lung mets. Grace had a little cough with water on day 1 wouldn't get up for anything on day 2, was really having trouble breathing on day 3. I call the vet at 8 and sent her to the bridge at 9. You're keeping her alive to be with her so go on and enjoy her. You know her so you'll know when.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phene's Circle of Grey blanket arrived today. Although he's at the bridge, it's so comforting having a blanket embroidered with him name. For those of you who haven't joined Circle of Grey, you might want to. I have found it to be a place of warm, non-judgemental support.

btw, I can't stop hugging his blanket :)

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Taylor Update - Just got home from the vet visit. 2 weeks after initial diagnosis of osteosarcoma. Taylor had been doing good on the meds until the Tramadol ran out 4 days ago and then today had swelling in the bad leg. We went for our "revisit" and noted to the vet the changes, the weight change and the swelllng. He did update xrays. Results: 1) Good news- while it is definitely Osteosarcoma, Taylor's cancer seems to be more of a slow progression than fast. 2) the swelling is caused by the Deramaxx an NSAID and is causing Lymphedema in the bad leg. 3) He gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks. 4) The drugs need to be managed better. So, Taylor was switched from Deramaxx to Prednisone an SAID as opposed to NSAID. He was given more pain medication that won't run out before we come back. We have a 3rd appointment in 2 weeks.

All I know is that Taylor was looking better before the Tramadol ran out. The swelling just occurred yesterday/today but it will take approx 1 week to go down. And the most important thing - I got to bring home my beautiful, loving and wonderful boy today. Thank you Lord - I wasn't ready to say Goodbye!

Hugs to all of the families going through this. :grouphug I know I was agonizing over this appt and as I walked out of the vet office, relief was a big feeling.

Guest azlorenz

Phene's Circle of Grey blanket arrived today. Although he's at the bridge, it's so comforting having a blanket embroidered with him name. For those of you who haven't joined Circle of Grey, you might want to. I have found it to be a place of warm, non-judgemental support.

Flash received his early enough last year that he could enjoy it. I almost sent it to the bridge with him but decided not too. It now graces a dog bed in our bedroom and is the first bed everyone grabs. I like to think that he is their protecting them. I know it is silly but it is a piece of him I get to keep.

2) the swelling is caused by the Deramaxx an NSAID and is causing Lymphedema in the bad leg. 3) He gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks. 4) The drugs need to be managed better. So, Taylor was switched from Deramaxx to Prednisone an SAID as opposed to NSAID.

Did your vet recommend a "washout period" between stopping the Deramaxx and starting the prednisone? You usually want to wait at least 2-3 days when switching between NSAIDs and steroids. Any overlap of the 2 drugs can significantly increase the risk of GI ulcers.

Also, I've never heard of NSAIDs causing lymphedema. In rare cases, some NSAIDs can cause urticaria and angioedema (hives and swelling due to an allergic reaction). Unfortunately, with swelling just in the leg with the osteo, it is more likely due to the cancer.

Prednisone isn't typically the anti-inflammatory of choice for osteosarcoma. Most experts feel that it doesn't provide any benefit over NSAIDs, and NSAIDs may be better both in terms of pain control, as well as possible anti-cancer properties.

Sorry to raise more questions. Best wishes for your boy!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Hi Everyone, I am just catching up and checking in to see how everyone is doing. I also have good news to share - Lucy had a checkup with the oncologist and a chest X-ray two weeks ago and all was CLEAR! :colgate She's happy and healthy and doing great and we're enjoying every day with her.

The big news this week, though, is the couch. We adopted Lucy almost 3 years ago, and she's never had any interest in getting on the couch. I really didn't want her on the furniture, anyway, because of dog hair, etc, so this worked out well. My husband and I have both been unusually busy with work lately, and Lucy was just acting a little more needy than usual - following me around the house, constantly staring at me. I've been working on my laptop from the couch in the evenings and on a whim decided to pick her up and put her next to me. She looked a bit panicked at first, but then wiggled around until she got herself in the perfect spot, then draped her head over my lap and eventually drooled ALL over me and my laptop. I swear, I think it was the happiest moment of her life. It only took one occurrence before it became a routine. As soon as I sit down on the couch in the evening now, she jumps up from her bed and runs over and waits to be invited up. She needed help getting up until tonight. Tonight, she jumped up all on her own after I invited her. :) I know it sounds silly, but it's our new thing and somehow it feels like a big change. :blush I feel a bit guilty for denying her for so long.

How is everyone else doing? To the new names I see in this thread, I'm sorry to see you here, but am glad that you'll have the same support that has been a huge help to me and others who are navigating an osteo diagnosis. :grouphug

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest suzanne

Not happy today. :(

We let our newest hound, Inka, on her first off lead run last night. she had a ball and it was lovely to see. Freya had so much fun playing with her too and bounded around. I'm of the opinion that she should be allowed do what she wants, within reason, and our vet said if she wants to run...let her run. She was having so much fun and was so happy that it didn't feel right to stop her, we just didn't let it go on for long.

Anyway, she woke up this morning sort of cloudy eyed and didn't seem herself. I'm worrying about her now and I had to work as I've barely any time left to take off for the next year seeing as my mam passed away so recently and fought cancer so bravely since Jan 2011 that I was off work a lot being with her.

My partner is with Freya anyway and hopefully she'll bounce back. She's had about 2 bad days, and they weren't even full days, since she was diagnosed so we're doing well really.

The only other thing is that the mass/lump on her bad leg really became visible and grew this week.

Thinking of going to the vet this evening for a check up. We're nearlyout of tramadol anyway.

{{{{{{{{{{Freya}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Suzanne, I'm sorry Freya is having a hard time. I'll be thinking of you.

Jess, if Lucy's hair on the couch still is a potential problem (most of us have dogs about to break out in mass shedding events), put an old blanket or throw on the couch when you start to settle down with your laptop and your lapdog. Easier to clean the blanket than the sofa, and Lucy might learn to interpret the blanket as her "cue": when the blanket is there, she's allowed there, too.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Flash received his early enough last year that he could enjoy it. I almost sent it to the bridge with him but decided not too. It now graces a dog bed in our bedroom and is the first bed everyone grabs. I like to think that he is their protecting them. I know it is silly but it is a piece of him I get to keep.

I sent Neyla's to the bridge with her. I don't know if that was the right decision or not. She had been using it for many months by the time I let her go, and she was on it when she passed. I also sent her favorite toy with her.

Lucy :yay So happy to hear how well she is doing. I know how you feel about the couch. Neyla always had couch privileges but she started to get to do a lot of other things I hadn't allowed before, like licking plates and ice cream bowls. Her eyes would bug out of her head she loved it so much and I wondered why I waited until she got her death sentence to allow all of those things. So now Zuri occasionally gets to lick my plates or yogurt cups. I figure as long as he doesn't develop bad habits he should get to enjoy those things.

I hope Freya and Taylor feel better soon. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:yay:yay:yay LUCY!!!!!!! I've been wondering how she's doing and I'm soooooooo happy for you!!!! That's just awesome! And you have a lap dog now too!

Hoping Freya pulls through this little setback. And god thoughts for Taylor!

Hugs for everyone!! :grouphug

PS - How did you get a blanket from COG??? I don't think I ever saw anything about it when I joined. I don't go there very often, but it's very informative.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest roselle

Not happy today. :(

We let our newest hound, Inka, on her first off lead run last night. she had a ball and it was lovely to see. Freya had so much fun playing with her too and bounded around. I'm of the opinion that she should be allowed do what she wants, within reason, and our vet said if she wants to run...let her run. She was having so much fun and was so happy that it didn't feel right to stop her, we just didn't let it go on for long.

Anyway, she woke up this morning sort of cloudy eyed and didn't seem herself. I'm worrying about her now and I had to work as I've barely any time left to take off for the next year seeing as my mam passed away so recently and fought cancer so bravely since Jan 2011 that I was off work a lot being with her.

My partner is with Freya anyway and hopefully she'll bounce back. She's had about 2 bad days, and they weren't even full days, since she was diagnosed so we're doing well really.

The only other thing is that the mass/lump on her bad leg really became visible and grew this week.

Thinking of going to the vet this evening for a check up. We're nearlyout of tramadol anyway.

Hugs to you Suzanne and hugs, kisses and prayers to you sweet Freya. Suzanne I'm praying that tomorrow will be a good day :f_white:grouphug

Just a quick check in - we've been without power/internet for most of the week thanks to Irene. Berkeley's white cell count was "a little low" this last check in, so the vet has put him on ATBs "just in case" because he was feeling a little down.

BUT, this week we've also seen him start to really PLAY and RUN like "normal", which has been great. :)

Hope everyone is doing well! Off to go check on the stuff I missed.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

:yay Berkeley! Isn't that just the best feeling - when they start to play again! :yay:yay

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest roselle

Just a quick check in - we've been without power/internet for most of the week thanks to Irene. Berkeley's white cell count was "a little low" this last check in, so the vet has put him on ATBs "just in case" because he was feeling a little down.

BUT, this week we've also seen him start to really PLAY and RUN like "normal", which has been great. :)

Hope everyone is doing well! Off to go check on the stuff I missed.

Go berkley, are you ready for zoomies :rivethead:lol

:yay Berkeley! Isn't that just the best feeling - when they start to play again! :yay:yay

YES!

I knew he was feeling good when he stole my shoe. :lol He hadn't done that in months.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Robin, I'm sorry Phoenix never got to use his COG blanket.

Great to hear Lucy is doing well!!! Keep it up girl!

Berk, you the man. It's only a matter of time before they are back to their old crazy antics.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest azlorenz

YES!

I knew he was feeling good when he stole my shoe. :lol He hadn't done that in months.

Good job Berkeley!

I'll give a little update too. Twiggy was back in the hospital all week for a bad infection in her suture line - Pseudomonas. The e-vet felt that a VAC Therapy bandage would preclude the need for antibiotics (pseudomonas is resistant to almost everything except imipenem and meropenem).

She's back home now, and while she seems to be in quite a bit of pain, the vet was actually able to close up the gaping hole in her side. I'm still very worried about infection.

But, she is still eating, drinking, taking her meds - and, today she picked up a toy for the first time since her surgery!

I really hope she heals quickly and without further infection. She should have started chemo last week, but it will be at least another week or two before she is healed up enough to start.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I hope Twiggy heals quickly and can get on her chemo protocol soon!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'll give a little update too. Twiggy was back in the hospital all week for a bad infection in her suture line - Pseudomonas. The e-vet felt that a VAC Therapy bandage would preclude the need for antibiotics (pseudomonas is resistant to almost everything except imipenem and meropenem).

She's back home now, and while she seems to be in quite a bit of pain, the vet was actually able to close up the gaping hole in her side. I'm still very worried about infection.

But, she is still eating, drinking, taking her meds - and, today she picked up a toy for the first time since her surgery!

I really hope she heals quickly and without further infection. She should have started chemo last week, but it will be at least another week or two before she is healed up enough to start.

Oh no. :( Hopefully things start healing up! Go away, bad bugs!

Guest roselle

FEEL BETTER SOON TWIGGY. :getwell:baloons:bighug

Guest suzanne

Hi All!

We took Freya back to the vet on Friday evening. It was a different vet to the amazing one we usually see but we knew she wouldn't let a bad vet work in her practice so we weren't too worried.

Anyway, we were essentially going because Freya seemed lacklustre on Friday morning and because it's now two months (2 months! woo!) since Freya's diagnosis. As we are going the palliative route only I was concerned that she get a checkup and we make sure that she was on enough medication.

The vet was delighted with her and called her a 'warrior' and said she must have great genes because her heart is very strong. She said there was some muffled-ness upon hearing the lungs but she said , overall, Freya is doing really well. She got to see how freya lies down and gets up and said that actually, she was impressed with the safe manner in which Freya has managed to do so, whereas I was worried it was just shockingly painful for her. In retrospect Freya always does this noiselessly and has yelped in the past when she has hurt herself so would surely do so in this scenario if it was painful.

The vet has now said we can give tramadol every second day as opposed to 'as needed' which is what we were already doing. We will keep up the daily metacam and paracetamol.

So, it's all really good news. We had a day out yesterday at a local fair and the weather turned torrental and it lashed rain and there was probably too much walking involved cos F had a very restless night and needed extra medication. She is back to good form today. I think in future we will have to really restrict what we do but it's so hard because she really enjoys getting out :(

Guest roselle

Hi All!

We took Freya back to the vet on Friday evening. It was a different vet to the amazing one we usually see but we knew she wouldn't let a bad vet work in her practice so we weren't too worried.

Anyway, we were essentially going because Freya seemed lacklustre on Friday morning and because it's now two months (2 months! woo!) since Freya's diagnosis. As we are going the palliative route only I was concerned that she get a checkup and we make sure that she was on enough medication.

The vet was delighted with her and called her a 'warrior' and said she must have great genes because her heart is very strong. She said there was some muffled-ness upon hearing the lungs but she said , overall, Freya is doing really well. She got to see how freya lies down and gets up and said that actually, she was impressed with the safe manner in which Freya has managed to do so, whereas I was worried it was just shockingly painful for her. In retrospect Freya always does this noiselessly and has yelped in the past when she has hurt herself so would surely do so in this scenario if it was painful.

The vet has now said we can give tramadol every second day as opposed to 'as needed' which is what we were already doing. We will keep up the daily metacam and paracetamol.

Suzanne it's always great to get good news. Good work Freya :rolleyes:

So, it's all really good news. We had a day out yesterday at a local fair and the weather turned torrental and it lashed rain and there was probably too much walking involved cos F had a very restless night and needed extra medication. She is back to good form today. I think in future we will have to really restrict what we do but it's so hard because she really enjoys getting out :(