"watching-Whinning-Excited-Window-Door-Looking" Behavior

need some help with Otis "dog behavior" lol

from all the greys I met and dogy-sit this boy does not act like any grey I met!

Otisis a nearly 3 year old (august 5th), bright ang intelligent male, he arrived 1 week ago from the tracks. He did 13 races total. high energy, nothing scares him! in learned doing stairs in 4 days!!! :blink:

this mkorning during the walk he got all exited about squirrels, he fixe and whnnes like usual but this morning he started barking at them! 6am on a sunday morning! :huh but we will work on that...

Here' my main behavior concern:

He is obsess to see what's going on outside the house, from windows, patio doors or front door... living in a 4plex buildng there's a balcony in the front of the house, so many times a day tenants pass on it... and the side-walk and street is at about less then 15 feet from the window so lot of things to see and watch... Otis stands there and watch... If he could only do that silenlty and calmely... no.. he is whinning and get excited (some time he puth is font paw on the door or on the side of the window, I'm scared he will get injured)

I've tried many times to shush him out, get him out of the window or dor but he is really stubburn!

for next week he will stay in his cage for sure duing work time (like the pass week)... I wanted to start letting him loose alone during the day but I'm affraid...

we would appreciate tips and help to stop or get this "watching-winning-exited-window-door-looking" behavior under control

:)

otherwise things are doing good, he does the front an backyard stairs by himself, never had pee or poop accident in he house, never growl or bark at Elliot (andother grey I'm dogy-sitting).

yesterday we were all out in the yard and Otis lay on his side in grass, he started robing himself in the grass and rolled over a fiew times.. so funny! no roach but it was cute! :)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I would put a baby gate or something else in front of the window. That way he can SEE out, but he can't accidentally break the window (if he actually COULD). Or those things people buy when they have toddlers and windows on upper floors?

Not sure how you can stop the behavior, but you can protect him.

It's all so new to him--he might settle down with the passing of some more time.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

In addition to babygating the window, try keeping the blinds and/or shades shut so he can't see out as well. He will probably get better about this as he settles in and gets used to apartment living. Everything is still so new for him.

If you need to escalate the negative association, try a squirt bottle that you can use from a few feet away. Set some soda cans with a few pennies taped inside on the windowsill. He'll knock them over when he puts his fett up and hopefully learn not to do that.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

sounds like you have a live one! i love the frisky,spunky,young,crazy pups...but that's me. lots of exercise, activites to keep him busy and lots of looooong walks. remember the entire world is NEW and exciting!!!! any yes, it sounds like he has some prey drive as well. it takes a while, as you know for them to acclimate to the new life style and new routines of exercise. remember he was used to really exercising and owning a grey that i adopted at 7 weeks i know he is really in his physical prime. between 2 &3 the power and energy is remarkable, their energy could lite up an entire city if that power could be harnessed.

i would start looking into a good training school, he has lots of energy which can be directed.when you find a school you like talk to the owner and ask for some pointers. i have used a plant spray and shaker can and found it effective,but not on all pups- some love the water and bark back at the can. one needs to know how to use it and work on redirecting the energy into a positive behavior. it's not brain surgery but it needs to be done correctly.

it's best to work w/ an experienced person who can give you support and direction.

Edited by cleptogrey

thanks for your advices!

yes smart and high energy I will say I have kind of a hand full :lol

well DH is really happy having a grey that acts more like a dog :rolleyes:

I tried shutting the blinds but it did nothing, Otis put his head beetween 2... :angry:

tried putting something infront will be difficult.. something high enought he wont pass over it and around it...

I started the water spray 2 times this after-noon and it works, he got distracted and return to his bed... :colgate

yes I'm planning to take long walks with him when the temperatures will be more tolerable (105F today).

Otis loves food so I think he will be easy to train with treats.. we are working on learning his name and sit. Tuffy learn the sit real fast and I think Otis will do the same too

I'm planning to gave him a kong when I'll start leaving him alone crate open :colgate

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest BrianRke

I would put a baby gate or something else in front of the window. That way he can SEE out, but he can't accidentally break the window (if he actually COULD). Or those things people buy when they have toddlers and windows on upper floors?

Not sure how you can stop the behavior, but you can protect him.

It's all so new to him--he might settle down with the passing of some more time.

I agree, once he gets used to all this new activity, he will probably stop paying much attention to it.

Guest HHHounds

We have a new boy too - Snoopy. He is fresh off the track and everything is exciting at this point. Patience and time will get his used to his new world! Congrats on you new houndie - and keep that hot weather up north!

Edited by HHHounds

Guest iconsmum

Please don't squirt him! He's in an environment he needs to understand. All he's doing is figuring things out....it's a good thing, and it tells you he's very alert and very bright...that's no reason to punish him. Also, if you take him for some good positive reinforcement training, the first thing they will help you understand is that squirting is positive punishment....not a good place to start developing a trust bond with any dog. Let him look all he wants, don't "talk" to him about it, take him for lots of walks, let him explore everything he wants to sniff or touch outside, and watch him calm himself down as he processes his new neighborhood. It sounds like you've got a really great "doggy" greyhound there - just support him!

He will probably mellow out with time. Riley went ballistic every time he saw something through the window for the first few weeks I had him. Now he's still interested and likes to "watch the news" as I call it, but he doesn't get upset over every little thing he sees anymore.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

some updates

Otis is a little less excited during is window watching.

He pass his first night alone with Elliot on the first floor yesterday (our bedroom is downstairs and DH was bringning Otis down each nights, the staircase is incline and dangerous). It went well, Otis wake up 2 times (midnight and 2am), got up and walk around, a little whinning (30secs) and got back to his bed... :)

but i,M still crating during the day. This morning I gived him a kong in his crate before leaving for work... he never saw that I had close the crate door and left...too accupied with the kong ;)

next week-end we will start letting him out of the crate during the day (leaving a little and come back). I'll install my video camera to see what he does...

;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data