He Won't Finish His Meals Anymore

Guest Draco

Guest Draco

Hi All. Ok, so we've had Draco for 2 years and he has always raced to his dish and gobbled up his food very quickly when we put it down for him. But for the last 2 days he has not done that and he's not even finishing his meal. His activity level is normal, he just doesn't want to eat much.

Do Greys go through loss of appetite sometimes or do you think he is sick? Could it be serious?

Thanks for the advice.

Rebecca

I've had Mac for just over 7 years and he's always gone through periods when he won't eat or eats only lightly...he'll be fine for months and months then he'll take a few days and go into his 'picky eater' phase...as long as stools and activity are normal I don't worry anymore...although I might give a few extra liver brownie treats just to keep him from throwing up that nasty snotty bile puke they do when stomach is empty...

Dogs and small children are the only people I really get along with....MacDaddy

Check his teeth and mouth really well. How old is he?

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Timo

That happened with Timo last September. He didn't want to finish his food for about a week, and then he proceeded to get gastroenteritis. He spent two nights at the e-vet. When he does that now, I withhold food for 12-24 hours, and then he's back to normal, gobbling his food down the the last morsel. We also give him pepcid twice a day. Might be a good idea to withhold food and let his GI tract rest for a day.

Guest Draco

He just turned 4 yesterday. His teeth seem to be just fine. It is really hot here this week, hit 100 today.

Thank you all for your advice! I sure do appreciate everyone on this site. :colgate

Guest BrianRke

During the summer months, Diamond is not overly eager to eat her food either. Sometimes she wont eat at all so I just put her bowl up on the counter and usually a couple hours later she will let me know she is hungry.

he is eating,but not finishing,,,,right???? it's darn hot out and most likely shedding some #s to get to his summer weight. if stools are o.k., not vomiting and just eating less, feed him less- he will finish. i always reduce food during the summer, they are not burning calories staying warm.

Guest Cris_M

Yep, it's probably the heat. In a couple of days, he may be ready to wolf down his regular amount. Meanwhile, enjoy the savings on dog food!

Does he have access to plenty of fresh water? Is he drinking? With this heat I'd be more concerned if he is not drinking. If it is just picky eating with no other symptoms I'd give it a couple days.

june

Guest Draco

Well it looks like it was just the heat. He is back to eating normally again. He always had plenty of water and was drinking well.

Thanks again everyone! I'm so glad we have this resource! :)

Guest shanesmom

Elton is like that when it's hot too. Doesn't always want to eat as much. I'm glad to hear your boy is back to eating well again.

I never get excited about quirks in eating. If a dog is healthy, and doesn't eat normally for a couple days, no biggie. Sometimes, dogs have been over-eating, because we've been over-feeding, and tell you that you're feeding too much by choosing not to finish their food. Many greys regulate their food intake to what their body needs.