I Think The Vet Gave Us Too High A Dosage

I posted my original topic under "Itchy Feet". We saw the new vet in the practice. He gave us Chlorpheniramine 4mg and told me to give him 2, 3x per day. i gave him 2 with his dinner around 6 and was surprised to see he wasn't sleepy. He has become progressively more wired and now he's barking like crazy and growling. Sorta play but he is not himself and is totally wired. I think too much of an anti-histimine can make you hyper, if I remember. I don't know what to do.

My husband is taking him for a walk trying to calm him down.

Edited to add: He weighs about 83#. And that I am calling on the power of GT to calm ME down!

And, should I call the vet tonight? I see the side-effects are excitement. Death is also listed. I am so worried.

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest Energy11

**Sounds like your pooch is sensitive to this drug. I'd call the Evet or maybe Animal Poison Control http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/ to see what you can give to counteract. I didn't find anything online, and I'd be afraid to give something without consulting a veterinarian first.

Next time, I'd use BENEDRYL, as I have honestly never had a problem with it. If anything ... it makes them too sleepy!

Good Luck!

How this medicine should be used:

Chlorpheniramine is not FDA approved for use in veterinary medicine; however, it is a commonly accepted practice to use this medication in dogs and cats. The usual dose for dogs is 2-8mg every 8-12 hours. For cats the usual dose is 1-2mg every 8-12 hours. Do not open or crush the long-acting capsules.

What are the side effects:

Side effects may include drowsiness, vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite. Dry mouth and urinary retention can also occur.

What special precautions are there:

This medication should not be used in animals allergic to chlorpheniramine or similar antihistamines. Do not use chlorpheniramine when it is in combination with other medications such as acetaminophen or caffeine such as found in various cold and sinus products. Do not use in pregnant or lactating animals. Do not use in patients with glaucoma, prostate disease or urinary obstruction, stomach or intestinal obstruction, high blood pressure or hyperthyroidism. Use caution when given with phenothiazines such as acepromazine and other central nervous system (CNS) depressant medications. Chlorpheniramine should not be used with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) such as selegiline and Preventic tick collar. Use caution when given with metoclopramide. Always tell your veterinarian and pharmacist what other medications your pet is taking.

In the event of an overdose:

Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms of overdose may include excitement or seizure, drowsiness, coma, respiratory depression and death.

Hope all works out! We are thinking of you. I gave my beagle a small dose of benadryl once and instead of the sleepy impact, it had the total opposite and she went crazy. They ended up giving her prednisone right away, etc. I would definately call the vet.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

So sorry to hear you're going through this! :ohno I have no experience with this drug so unfortunately I have no advice. Hoping your boy calms down soon. Please keep us posted!

:goodluck :gooduck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

It's the correct dose- just might not be the med for your hound. Gotta admit-- I personally have never seen a dog react to it- just goes to show that any dog can react to any drug at any time.

Isn't that the truth! Humans are the same way! When I was a paramedic, I saw many different and WEIRD reactions to meds. I have seen humans "flying" on Benedryl and antihistamines, too.

Hope all works out! We are thinking of you. I gave my beagle a small dose of benadryl once and instead of the sleepy impact, it had the total opposite and she went crazy. They ended up giving her prednisone right away, etc. I would definately call the vet.....

I called my husband and he said they were having a nice walk. I am waiting to see if he's calmer when they return. If he barks more or is still wound I will call. I am hoping it was a short-term reaction. It has been 3 hours since he had the medication. I can't really call now without the dog here! I won't be able to answer any questions. Fingers crossed this passes. If he's much improved I guess I'll call in the morning before I give another dose. Otherwise I call when they return.

finalsiggy.jpg

Update. My husband got back after being dragged for a very long walk. We gave Kevin a cool shower and put cool packs on him and a fan. It has now been and hour and he is sleeping and breathing normally. I think he will be ok for the night and I won't give him anything else until I talk to the vet tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

finalsiggy.jpg

So sorry to hear you're going through this! :ohno I have no experience with this drug so unfortunately I have no advice. Hoping your boy calms down soon. Please keep us posted!

:goodluck :gooduck :goodluck

Ok, so my update is sort of in another thread. But I wanted to update here. The vet said this morning to just give the antihistimine in half the prescribed dose on an as needed basis but to continue the antibiotic as prescribed. Tonight excitability again. He has had no anti-histimine since last night. He went outside and ran and now is not barking at us and air snapping but he's still panting. It started at almost the same time as last night. So, we'll see how the rest of the night goes. He has gotten a ton of exercise this week so maybe he's just becoming an exercise addict in the evenings? Or maybe it's both medications and last night was more extreme because he was on both (antihistimines are something I have to take at half an adult dose because they keep me awake)? I really don't know what to think but I hope I figure it out.

Thank you all for your concern and advice.

finalsiggy.jpg

It's the correct dose- just might not be the med for your hound. Gotta admit-- I personally have never seen a dog react to it- just goes to show that any dog can react to any drug at any time.

Agree.

My last dog took this medication for quite a long time (horrible allergies). It didn't do a thing to him. Except help with his allergies!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck