Old Girl Peeing In My Bed

My foster girlie turned 10 in January. Twice in the last week she has peed in my bed (where she sleeps while I'm at work). When she was with her previous adopter she was briefly on Pronin but I've heard bad things about it. The waterproof matress pad has saved us but it's a pain to wash.

We are going to the vet at 4. Any advice/ideas/questions I should ask him?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Low-salt diet might help. Holler if you want specific recommendations about that. Best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tigonie

No help for stopping the pee, but I'll mention that for my young children, I have a plastic mattress pad on each of their beds. I bought them at WalMart. If there's an accident in the night, I just have to wipe the mattress cover down rather than wash it, and I just wash the sheets.

Edited by Tigonie

I have the washable incontinence pads I cover the bed in. I use various tricks to keep them in place depending on how much the pup rearranges the bed covers.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Swifthounds

There are good and bad opinions of Proin and DES. Both have risk factors. For a female with spay incontinence, either may be helpful and both can be tapered. My Vixen has taken the Prion and I was able go totally off of it. I do watch her salt and filter her water, which helps. Unfortunately, spay incontinence goes with the territory when spaying.

There are a few natural things you can try, like one of the bladder support supplements or even corn silk capsules.

You might want to do a urinalysis just in case the peeing is from an infection.

I have my female on cranberry pills because she had an infection when I first got her and the vet thinks that it might help prevent them (at least it won't hurt). She was also a "poo eater" and that may have been causing the infection (eating poo and then licking privates).

Two of our old gals - Darcy and Bonny - have spay incontinence. We know they can't help it. We do have both on the minimum dose of Prion - 25mg per day for Darcy and 50mg per day for Bonny. Proin works really well for both of them. We haven't had any side effects. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but it hasn't been our experience.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest avadogner

Pam,

Hey lady! I always find myself in your postings. We will have to meet someday. Ava my 11 yr old baby has started wetting her bed. I witnessesed the first and she was either sleep.walking/sitting or had a focal seizure. She stared blankly into space and wet herself. I discussed it with our vet and the UA was clean. She has rear end instability and hypothyroid issues already. We didn't witness the two recent episodes so we can't figure out if it's seizure activity, incontinence related to her rear end weakness or just really deep sleep walking behavior. I don't want to add any more meds until I see her do it again. Being a nurse, I think i would.have better info for our vet if I can see her do it again.

I totally get the mattress cover being hell for you. Could you baby gate your bedroom off and give her a extra cushy bed? Let me know how it works out. How old is the new foster? Did she bounce for this before? She managed to wet two or our 3 brand new beds. I salvaged the covers but the inserts are foul. I guess I will be making a trip to Goodwill to buy old comforters to put in the covers. I figure I can wash them and bleach them if it happens again.

Hang in there!

-alicia

aka.Ava & Augie's Mum

I have a great waterproof matress cover that I got at Kohl's years ago. I think it is Sealy. Not hot crinkly or sweaty, just a pain to wash. It has certainly saved me many times over.

She bounced because her owner has Alzheimers and had to go into assisted living and could only take one of her 2 grey. She chose the other one.

Anyway, the verdict from the vet is that she has an infection so she is on Keflex for 4 weeks.

Thanks for the tip, but I've found plastic covers and menopausal women with hot flashes are sort of a recipe for disaster. :blush

Oh yeah, been there done that!

How about gating her out of your bedroom while you are gone.

june

Guest BrianRke

I have a great waterproof matress cover that I got at Kohl's years ago. I think it is Sealy. Not hot crinkly or sweaty, just a pain to wash. It has certainly saved me many times over.

She bounced because her owner has Alzheimers and had to go into assisted living and could only take one of her 2 grey. She chose the other one.

Anyway, the verdict from the vet is that she has an infection so she is on Keflex for 4 weeks.

Great! I hope that takes care of the problem.

Both of my older girls, Stell and Lizzie (both 10), got a little "leaky". They are both on low doses of Proin...Stel takes 25MG/day while Lizzie takes 50MG/day. I started Stel @ 50MG which was too much for her so backed off. They're both doing great and no more wet beds.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

The vet said "I assume this leakage is because of an early spay."

Oddly enough I know for a fact that this girl was not spayed until she was 14 months old because I wrote the check to the vet from the rescue.

The more I think about it while I REALLY like this guy, it sorta bothers me that I know girlie greys (especially the racing ones which she was not) are much more prone to late spays than early ones....

Edited by Hubcitypam

Not sure how long it will take the meds to work for her, but doggie diapers might help save your bedding. Some are washable, others are disposable.

I insert the inner bedding of my dog beds in a baby mattress cover (vinyl and zippered) to save all our dog beds. (I leave about 1" opening at the end of the zipper as an air escape.) The washable fabric covers go back over the outside bed for the hounds' comfort.

Guest Diana

Many years ago my shepard mix was on phenylpropanolamine for incontinence & it worked wonders. I also got a plastic zipper crib mattress cover for her bed and then the elastic twin bed sheets to cover that. Then I packing taped wee pads on top. It worked very well. Not sure if phenylprop is still a good med to use though so definitely check.