Itchy Feet

Kevin seems to have had itchy feet for the past few days. Perhaps a week and a half he has been intermittently licking his legs and feet. Today he hasn't seemed himself. I just saw him grab hair with his teeth and rip it out of his foot. His feet look a little pink. But not awful.

He is also coughing occasionally and sometimes almost gagging/coughing up (couple times today).

The only things I can think of are a food allergy, but things haven't changed much. As for that we did give him some cooked turkey with his food instead of the beef he usually gets last week. But he's been back on the beef several days. He's also been getting some eggs. But he has had eggs before. He eats Honest Kitchen Thrive and some beef with a spoonful of yogurt, a fish oil capsule, and an egg sometimes.

As for his activities. This weekend he ran several times and had walks in fields of grass. Yesterday just a long walk in a field. Could this be from pollen?

He also takes dips in the pond but has done so for months and this behavior is new.

As or health issues, he is 3.5 years and we have had him 6.5 months. He is healthy other than a case of hookworms we are fighting.

Thoughts on this are appreciated. I would call the vet if it were office hours but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

finalsiggy.jpg

It could be allergies to grass. My Andy had allergies to they grass and his feet were red and itchy. You can give Benadryl and wash his feet every time he goes outside. Just washing off with water will help.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

both of my greys have had athletic's feet! yes fungus...emily's was scraped off and i kept the webbing dry w/ desitin/balmex type baby ointment. felix had it on the toes and into the nail bed, regular athletic's foot cream. have your vet give a look. fungus or yeast infections can be cleared up and boy do they itch.it's possible that he may have this as a result of his dips in the pond. from what i remember this occured in the fall shortly after a trip to the beach and camping.

now i try to keep feet dry, especially after crazy beach runs w/ medicated foot powder, ammen's or gold bond. both have worked and knock on wood, the webbing has been fungus free.

Maybe it's something that got mowed-up? Stinging nettle? Who knows what he's running over through the field.

How much Benadryl would he get? He weighs about 83lbs.

From here:

As of today, there are no set guidelines; however, most veterinarians will recommend giving 1mg of Benadryl per 1 pound of body weight every 8 hrs, as the standard dosage of Benadryl for dogs.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I will give him some tonight if he keeps it up. Otherwise we'll try to hold out to see the vet tomorrow.

I know I am covered in bites and am itchy. Bugs have been bad!

Thanks to everyone that replied so far. It is good to know it's probably nothing serious,

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

It could be allergies to grass. My Andy had allergies to they grass and his feet were red and itchy. You can give Benadryl and wash his feet every time he goes outside. Just washing off with water will help.

This or a wheat allergy, I've seen both (in the same dog actually).

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I will give him some tonight if he keeps it up. Otherwise we'll try to hold out to see the vet tomorrow.

I know I am covered in bites and am itchy. Bugs have been bad!

Thanks to everyone that replied so far. It is good to know it's probably nothing serious,

Certainly not likely to be anything DEADLY, but if he is allergic to grass or pollen...ooh boy, what a drag it is.

My last dog have severe inhalant allergies.

Itchy feet are a typical sign of a food allergy, but it could also be something he contacted. Think carefully; did you shampoo the carpet? Change floor cleaning solutions, anything like that?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Certainly not likely to be anything DEADLY, but if he is allergic to grass or pollen...ooh boy, what a drag it is.

My last dog have severe inhalant allergies.

Itchy feet are a typical sign of a food allergy, but it could also be something he contacted. Think carefully; did you shampoo the carpet? Change floor cleaning solutions, anything like that?

Oh yeah, and with our farm and his desire to be outside always . . . drag indeed.

We have a 2:15.

Haven't changed anything. Just vaccum/sweep and any mopping with with murphy's oil. But that's not every week. Nothing has changed that I can think of. The only thing I can think of is he was laying in some mulch/topsoil mix in the garden we used to fill some holes. He dug in it and took a nap. That was over the weekend. But, I don't think he had contact with it last weekend really and that's when I noticed him first start to lick. He kept me awake licking for an hour one night. but then it wasn't bad until the past few days. Boy it's increased in those days.

We also went for a walk with a friend's dog and were at her house a few hours Monday.

Edited to add I do not think this is boredom: he gets exercise- especially over the weekend and Monday he exhausted himself into sleeping late! He also has things to chew around always. Usually a bully stick is available at least once a day. And this is totally new behavior. He's not a big groomer/licker.

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

Maybe it's something that got mowed-up? Stinging nettle? Who knows what he's running over through the field.

How much Benadryl would he get? He weighs about 83lbs.

From here:

As of today, there are no set guidelines; however, most veterinarians will recommend giving 1mg of Benadryl per 1 pound of body weight every 8 hrs, as the standard dosage of Benadryl for dogs.

I am so glad you posted this because so many times, people under dose Benadryl and then say it doesn't help.And that dose can be given 3x a day

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Update. So, vet thinks this is outdoor allergies. Prescribed anti-histimine and said to use it for a few weeks and if it helps, taper-off and see how he does. Also, antibiotics. He has pustules on his belly and thigh. These are new past few days. I really think he ran through something this weekend in the field. The grass where it hasn't been flail mowed is very tall. Who knows what is growing. Plus this is his first Summer in New England. He has built no tolerance for the allergens here.

I think i might taper-off the anti-histamine sooner if he does well. And I will do what Judy suggested and wipe him down when he comes in.

finalsiggy.jpg

Glad to know it's nothing really bad. You can keep a hose or bucket by the door and just wash him off before he comes inside.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Glad to know it's nothing really bad. You can keep a hose or bucket by the door and just wash him off before he comes inside.

I am not sure what to think now. He is wired from the medication. I posted in a separate thread. I guess I will give only one pill of anti-histimine in the morning.

He was Prescribed:

2 pill of 4mg of Chlorpheniramine Maleate 3x per day.

2 pills of 500mg Cephalexin 2x day.

finalsiggy.jpg