Sprinkles Is Afraid Of Fireworks

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

Well, summer's here, and that means our neighbors are setting off fireworks for what seems like hours at 10 minute intervals. Sprinkles, who didn't seem to notice last year, is freaking out. He's racing around the house, panting with his heart racing. We don't have a thundershirt, and it's too late to run out and get one. Any suggestions for helping him through this?

My poor Lucky is the same way- I turn on fans and the tv plus I give melatonin

I just started using a DAP plug in for my foster, I'm hoping it will help Lucky.

Good luck

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sprinkles, buddy!! Ekko is sending her very best wub.gif

The thunder coat would probably not help for fireworks.We go through this with Wayne and have found that not much helps him. I just put the tv up louder than I usually do and try to drown out the noise.Even the drugs do not help him.

Good luck buddy, hopefully it doesn't last long!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Yep, we turn up the TV and make sure the fans are going to try and muffle the sounds. If it's quiet, Bebe freaks but with noise going on she's fine.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I make Throp a den during the fireworks season, we don't have a crate so its a blanket thrown over 2 chairs to make a little dark tent :) He's much happier when he can go hide in there, though he doesn't run round the house he just lies there shaking like a leaf.

No real solutions, just sympathy. I am having the same issue. The firecrackers start after 7 pm and don't end until after 10 pm. The worst part is that it is so random. Lila will just relax then there are some more. :( I am noticing she does not react to the smaller bangs anymore. My hope is that she will get used to them. You would think that after a while they would think, "Hey, there was a noise, but nothing horrible happened so the next time there is a noise I don't have to be scared."

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

In addition to the suggestions above regarding drowning out the noise, I would try melatonin or another calming remedy designed for noise anxiety and see if that takes the edge off. If it doesn't, I would consider a fast/short-acting anxiety drug like Xanax (or Valium) just to get you through this period of time. You can combine the Xanax (once it starts working) with some desensitization techniques - giving high value treats each time one goes off, or just giving a stuffed kong for her to work on while they're going off and then taking it away when they're done. The combination may allow you to not use the drugs in the future.

In response to the comment above, desensitization doesn't usually happen on it's own. You need to actively work to change the thought process about the thing causing the fear. Sometimes with things as frightening as fireworks, that means medication needs to be on board so the dog can learn at all.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well, summer's here, and that means our neighbors are setting off fireworks for what seems like hours at 10 minute intervals. Sprinkles, who didn't seem to notice last year, is freaking out. He's racing around the house, panting with his heart racing. We don't have a thundershirt, and it's too late to run out and get one. Any suggestions for helping him through this?

Oy we have our Elsie who I am so afraid of having a heart attack or stroke- it's so bad. We DID get the thunder shirt this year but I don't know if it works yet/

We use 10mg of valium an hour prior to sundown, windows closed, , we stay in one room, a/c, fans going, music on. You can down load canine lullabies. Very obnoxious, but it's for them so...

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Rescue Remedy helps some.

Just a heads up too - If you have a fenced yard, you might want to take him out on lead until the fireworks are past. A friend of mine just had her greyhound escape over a 58" fence because of fireworks. Luckily she came home the following morning.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I use a combination of Melatonin and DAP. The problem with the DAP was that my girl wouldn't stay in one place long enough for it to help so I spray some on a piece of cloth and tie it to her collar so it goes where she goes. It really helps that way and she will then lay down.

4th of July is not our favorite time of year.

june

I use a combination of Melatonin and DAP. The problem with the DAP was that my girl wouldn't stay in one place long enough for it to help so I spray some on a piece of cloth and tie it to her collar so it goes where she goes. It really helps that way and she will then lay down.

june

They make a DAP collar now too.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest BiancasMom

A friend of mine just uses a snug fitting t-shirt on her dog. She swears it helps. Similar to a Thundershirt but easier to get. Stupid fireworks. My Basset was the same way but only in her senior years. I would put her in the bathroom with the radio turned way up and it helped. (She prefered to hide anyway) I also walked her on a leash even though our yard is fenced, otherwise she would just dart around and shiver. :(

june

They make a DAP collar now too.

:nod Zuri wears them sometimes for his SA. It worked better for us because I was finding that in the spring when I opened the windows, teh DAP would basically diffuse into the world. :P The small size will actually fit a greyhound neck, you can find them on Entirely Pets for under $20/collar and they last about a month for us.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."