Gassy Girls

Guest SweetFinish

Guest SweetFinish

Okay, so just a quick question. We love our two newly adopted grey girls, and we love everything about them....except perhaps, those noxious fumes that they emit quite often. Is it a trait of the breed that they must fart every five minutes, or what? Their gas could bring tears to your eyes sometimes. And sometimes it is also quite audible, too...then NEITHER OF THEM EVEN MOVE! They sneak them up on you then look at you, just waiting for your reaction....does anyone else have this "issue"? :blink::o

We posted this in here, because maybe it's just their food...but Im hoping someone can give us some insight on this topic.

Edited by SweetFinish

:lol

I know I shouldn't laugh but...yes, my sweet girl can still clear a room though not as often as when she first arrived. She was only a week or two off of the track so the change in food, weather, entire environment seemed to upset her tummy a great deal. She's much better now so hopefully with a little time, yours will be better too

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

My boy used to be so bad that he could clear an entire house. I can't tell you how often we took walks just to get away from the stench. He is much better now. It's probably a combination of stress and the food. Good luck and invest in clothes pins.

Guest FawnFan

One of my greyhounds can clear a room too. And I've noticed it is shortly after he's had this one biscuit. It's the p-nuttier Old Mother Hubbard biscuits. Of course he likes these better than Milkbones. So now I've changed him over to the Blue Dog Bakery Molasses and whatever (peanut butter?) biscuits instead. His last Mom told me he used to love her horse's molasses treats so I was hoping he'd like them. So now when given a choice he takes the molasses biscuit over any other. So thankfully the gas smell has dissipated lots.

You might want to try changing out one thing at a time (maybe change one thing they're eating every couple of weeks) to see if it helps. Not sure if this would help yet adding a probiotic into their feeding routine may help too.

Good luck!

Guest sheila

I've heard so many stories about greyhound gas that I'm sure it's true. However 6 hounds have passed through my home and this has never been an issue. OK, there was one time I gave 2 hounds raw egg and THAT night was bad......but since then it's not been a problem.

What are you feeding them?

Guest SweetFinish

Right now they're on Purina One Beyond, but very soon they will be switched over to a better food, perhaps blue buffalo or eukanuba? Anyone have any advice on these foods?? I make them peanut butter treats home made, so hopefully that's not the problem. But honestly, they were gassy before I started making them treats... :huh

Guest BrianRke

All three of mine had terrible gas the first few weeks after they came home with me. After getting used to new diet, environment, etc., it has pretty much resolved itself. Thank Goodness

Stress could be the cause at the beginning - let them settle in for a few weeks and see if the problem still persists. If it's not better in a few weeks you might want to try mixing in other food and see if it gets better or worse. Make sure to do any food change gradually otherwise you can get diarrhea.

Guest mariah

Chips had awful gas when we first got him, we mistakenly thought a few times that he might have had an accident in the house. :o We replaced the kibble with raw and haven't had any issues since then, though I'm sure some of it had to do with anxiety over settling into a new home as well.

Guest RobinAZ

Both mine have it bad sometimes too. But the longer I have them, the less it gets. It can be pretty horrible sometimes :lol :lol

Guest spsjohnson

Right now they're on Purina One Beyond, but very soon they will be switched over to a better food, perhaps blue buffalo or eukanuba? Anyone have any advice on these foods?? I make them peanut butter treats home made, so hopefully that's not the problem. But honestly, they were gassy before I started making them treats... :huh

We have the occasional gas attack- usually when running her dream races but she's been on Blue Buffalo for three years and the vet is very happy with her coat/eyes/general health and at 12 she still zooms almost daily!

Guest isntitgreyt

I have had gas issues too. I switched their food to Nature's Domain from Costco and it is gone! Nature's Domain is Grain Free and apparently that is what they needed!

Sage can lay some deathly bombs. It used to be her food, we had to really search to find one that worked for her. Now she has gas only on occasion, and that's if she's eaten something she usually doesn't have.. a new type of cookie or bone. And then I avoid those in the future. :lol

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SupersMom

It is our first night with Super, and I have to admit, we were warned. I just thought folks were exaggerating. Holy buckets of kibble! My husband woke from a dead sleep gasping for air, and in seconds the wave hit me. I'm assuming stress, new food, are part of it, but she is also on meds from her girl surgery a few days ago. Could her medical stuff also be contributing to the grey fog?

Does the fact that I'm cracking up reading this thread mean I'm juvenile? I can't help it- I find the subject hilarious. (Of course, only now that Topper rarely has gas anymore-a scoop of yogurt on top of his food every morning seems to do the trick)

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)

• 5 months later...
Guest SupersMom

Seond hound in the house has DH gasping for air and spraying the house down. I'm convinced there has to be a "present" hiding somewhere. Super still has gas when we forget her yogurt, but our boy, omg, it's like we live in an outhouse.

How son is too soon to start isolating things from his diet to get this fixed. It took almost a week to get him solid on the new food.

Guest verthib

Mine were bad too in the beginning. Now months later hardly any gas! None from my girl who is a complete lady and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. :lol

And my boy only farts in the morning when stretching. And it's loud!!

Guest SupersMom

Does the fact that I'm cracking up reading this thread mean I'm juvenile? I can't help it- I find the subject hilarious. (Of course, only now that Topper rarely has gas anymore-a scoop of yogurt on top of his food every morning seems to do the trick)

Not juvenile at all....if it is, then my total meltdown laughing is infantile. Some of these threads has me in tears. It's one of those "it's funny because it's true" kind of things. Kids are stinking us out of house and home tonight. They've had their beano, and yogurt. Actually I think it's just our boy stinking us out. They each have their own odor. He will go so far as find one of us in some corner of the house, greet us, fart and then leave. The little turd is a hit-and-run artist.

How could such foulness come from such sweet faces?

No matter what brand or when it's fed, our 2 boys are instantly gassy and could peel the paint off the walls. Digestive enzymes help, but are not a cure. But what did work (instantly) was a switch to raw food. Eliminated the gas and all related tummy troubles overnight, including soft stool.

I'd first add enzymes / yogurt in your case and/or switch foods until you find something that works....though don't switch too often or too quickly!

Good luck!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Timo tends to have bad gas at night and always constantly whenever we leave the house. We come home, and his room is just swimming in a fog of fumes! We've tried a lot of different things including probiotics, but he still has gas. We are not wanting to feed raw, and he's otherwise doing really well on the grain-free fish kibble (he previously had major tummyand allergy issues before the fish diet). So we're afraid to switch the protein source... we're ultimately left with stinky evenings. :blink:

Guest verthib

Timo tends to have bad gas at night and always constantly whenever we leave the house. We come home, and his room is just swimming in a fog of fumes! We've tried a lot of different things including probiotics, but he still has gas. We are not wanting to feed raw, and he's otherwise doing really well on the grain-free fish kibble (he previously had major tummyand allergy issues before the fish diet). So we're afraid to switch the protein source... we're ultimately left with stinky evenings. :blink:

Swimming in a fog. I had tears with this thread while laughing. Give him one beano after dinner each night. It'll help.

Edited by verthib

Swimming in a fog. I had tears with this thread while laughing. Give him one beano after dinner each night. It'll help.

Beano is safe for greyhounds? I had tried giving him prozyme in the past... caused vomiting. The vet had suggested Metamucil... poop became a little looser, so I stopped that. I'd be willing to give Beano a try if it helps him. Definitely more gas when he's stressed.

Oh, and he doesn't seem to have gas after breakfast, just dinner. He gets fed the same thing and amount for both. :blink:

Edited by Timo