Does Anyone Free Feed?

Guest Tabby

Guest Tabby

We have always been free feeders with our other dogs and are currently free feeding Tabby our new greyhound. We have only had her two weeks and she and our ACD eat combined 6 cups of dry kibble per day. the ACD usually eats 3 cups her self so I would say it is a safe bet that Tabby is eating 3 cups per day. She still looks lean and actually could put on a pound or two. What are your thoughts?

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I'm generally not a fan of free-feeding in multiple dog households. It's too hard to monitor how much each dog is eating. In my experience one dog usually gets fat and it's much harder to switch back to set meals than it is to just do it from the start.

If both dogs look good and you want to keep going, good luck to you!

I'm not a fan, personally. I like to know exactly how much each dog is or isn't eating.

What if she gets sick and goes off feed? If the other dog eats the remainder, how will you know?

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest Swifthounds

Not a fan. Unnatural way for a dog to eat, too easy to miss health issues, and not really a time/energy saver.

Edited by Swifthounds

We do not free feed. We want to know who is eating how much and how they look. If someone does not eat we try to figure out why. We just had one not eating, her mouth appeared to be bothering her so we took her for a dental. She lost 4 teeth and is on antibiotics for an infection. We would have never known if we hadn't seen her not eating.

We had another one that wasn't eating yet was putting on weight. She was growing a tumor. We never would have looked for anything if we were free feeding. We also check their pee and poop every day for signs of something not being right.

We monitor them as a child, except a child can tell you if he does not feel well and where it hurts.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I free feed..The only issue I have had is when I get a new foster that was use to eating with 20 or more greys at the same time is that I would put out food and they would chow like there was no tomorrow. But after a few days they realize there is always food and they then go into grazing mode like my girls.

When I am not at work I am usually at home and can see the bowls from the living room. When I hear the crunching I will look to see who is having "dinner" so I know they are all eating. When you work 3am-noon, it's not easy for me to keep them on a 5-6am breakfast and 5-6p dinner schedule.

It's been working well for me the last 10 years.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest KennelMom

Not a fan. Unnatural way for a dog to eat, too easy to miss health issues, and not really a time/energy saver.

Yep. Even when I only had one greyhound, I didn't free feed.

I have free fed my dogs for over 25 years. When i was doing front line rescue work, and had upwards of 15 dogs in my home, (usual long-term number was 3 -5) there were 8 feeders (water and food), and they all free fed. I've never had a fat dog, I've never had a fight, I've never had a dog eat too much, or too little.

They key is to ALWAYS keep the bowls full. They quickly lose interest in chowing down if they know there is an endless supply. The dogs will pick and choose the times they want they eat. I found that when I ate, they usually went and ate a little. And they would wake me up at 2 in the morning, chomping away on kibble.

I've raw fed the past 8 years or so. But i still keep a bowl of kibble out for them to free fed on should they want a snack now and again. For greyhounds, I think it's a fabulous way to go if you are feeding kibble.

re weight - Racing weight and maybe 2 lbs over that is usually a good weight. You want to see some ribs, and be able to see, feel hip bones. You can always supplement the skinnier hound with some meat as treats when you are training. Or grain-free treats from a store. You can use chicken, liver, hot dogs etc as treats.

Re health - When your dogs are part of your home and heart, as is the rule with all good greyhound owners :) - you are always watching for tell-tale signs of something not being right. Not eating can be one of them, but I've always been aware of someone not eating, even with free feeding.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest RichardUK

I don't free feed greyhounds - though I free fed my lurcher and GSD both were correct weight - but both shared the bowls. Never had an argument in all my 50 non greyhound fosters either.

But the dogs at the kennels are used to being fed on leash separately - At home my greys have never argued but there will always be one who will 'move' the other dog away to eat all the food in two or more bowls. Separate feeding seems to allow each to enjoy uninterrupted feeding and far easier to monitor appetite.

No free feeding here either. I like to know exactly how much each of my dogs is getting that way if I see one dropping weight, I know it's not to lack of food and can get them checked out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Figmama

I only have one Grey here now and I free feed him. He has *always* been a picky eater. Oh, many times over the years, I've put his food down for a certain amount of time and pulled it but made absolutely no difference in his eating habits.

Now, if I've had other dogs here, I can't free feed him and his food does get picked up. It was not unusual for him to go a day or two eating very little or not at all. Nope, I just free feed him and he's happy and works for me.

Given my druthers, I'd rather not do that but now he has Lymphoma and (thank doG) I've cooked up food and supplements for him and he is eating pretty well.

I free fed for 10 years and 150+ fosters with no problems. Never had one dog that gourged him/herself. A few would try to at first and I just pick up the bowl for a bit. In a couple of days they figured out it would be there and chilled out. Oddly enough all mine have preferred to do the bulk of their eating while I'm home (company maybe?) and I could tell by listening who was in the kitchen and get a rough idea of how much they were eating. They all ate differently.

Now that Poodle has to eat twice a day with his shots the current three all get fed then but there is always a bowl of kibble in the kitchen which it is seldom used.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Tabby

Thanks everyone. I work from home and literally the bowl is next to my desk so I see who is coming and going. I just like to get the opinions of others who have done the greyhound thing longer that me :)

Laura

Guest TDotGreys

I enjoy prepping bowls and feeding, so no free feeding here. Besides, ours are pigs - they would fight over food and one (the bratty little female) would get the lions share! :rolleyes:

Guest BrianRke

I used to free feed my bridge girl, Cleo. She was the only dog in the house and she wasnt food crazy so I always left food in her bowl and she would pick at it through the day. I now have 3 greys and free feeding isnt an option. Not only would it start a fight, but like others have said, one would get more than the other.

You also need to be able to tell if your dog is eating or not eating normally, as this can be an indicator of health problems.

Guest Whistle

I like to know exactly how much mine are eating, which would be virtually impossible in our home if we free fed since we usually have 4 or 5 hounds at a time. So no, no free feeding here.

Guest kydie

I did free feeding for many, many years,, when the GSP arrived with gastro issues,, that stopped,, he needed to be monitored closley and had different dietary needs,, so now, I don't think I would ever go back to free feeding, I NEVER had a dog with weight issues, or fighting or bloat when I did free feeding, I do beleive intake can be monitored better with standard mealtimes, especially as the dog ages :)

Edited by kydie

I don't free-feed, but I see nothing wrong with it if it works in your household, for your dogs. It was not an option for us, as our first grey had food-aggression issued to work through, then we started fostering, and I don't think it's a good idea at all whlie fostering. Now we've got only one grey, no foster, and I just stick to the feeding schedule because it's what we do. Diana could probably free-feed, but after being on a schedule her whole life, I doubt she'd like it any better. And - I put a bit of water on her food, so it would get yucky after a while.

I think free-feeding is fine if it works best for your dogs.

Thanks everyone. I work from home and literally the bowl is next to my desk so I see who is coming and going. I just like to get the opinions of others who have done the greyhound thing longer that me :)

Laura

Good for you for asking for input from others. Information is invaluable. Also - good for you for know what works in YOUR house! :)

I have to laugh. Our Grey would probably weigh 200 lbs or more (he's on phenobarb, so is hungry ALL the time) and our cats would probably be little furry bowling balls because they absolutely love the dog food. Allie, our non grey, would probably keep her weight normal because she's not as focused on food as the other 3.

It all depends on your dogs and how they do.