New To Forum-Problems With Adopted Grey

Guest ennyl

Guest ennyl

I have been reading the forum for some time now and have gotten some great information. Thought I would post issue with adopted Grey and get some advice from the experts! I have had my adopted Grey for about 2 months. She is so good, in so many ways and sometimes just melts my heart with how she looks and is. However, I have some serious concerns with how she is adapting to my family life. I have a very very busy household-live with daughter, son-in-law and 3 grandkids-2 of which are boys ages 12 and 14. Celeste has always been very skittish around most folks-moreso men and children. She, despite our efforts to introduce her to the other family members, and at least get her comfortable with them, still has not gotten there. If she sees another family member anywhere she wants to go, she will head back to her crate. Also, she has started peeing in the house, despite the fact that she has a regular schedule for walks. And, although I have tried to re-train family members to keep anything off the floor that they want, she still manages to find things.....I have fortunately removed sandals, slippers and other things valued by family members. Not so fortunate are pens, pencils, papers, headphones, silly bandz, and a host of other items. She seems to favor soft or hard rubber, wood,...well, anything other than the chew things I have gotten her!

Since she has gotten a little more comfortable leaving her crate,it has gotten to the point where I cannot take my eyes off of her for a minute-if I do she will either sneak somewhere to pee, or get into something she shouldn't. I know these types of issues are not uncommon with adopted Greys, but would like some input, if anyone has any. I am getting rather discouraged.....

I work a full time job that is quite stressful and demanding, and have had a loss in my income which will get worse soon (I work in education, in Michigan, if that conveys anything!) My daugther and son-in-law also work full time. In additon, my daugther is having some health issues, my grandaughter is going thru some difficult times emotionally, and they all, in general, are very, very busy people. I got my Grey knowing that I would be completely responsible for her. I take her to a dog daycare 2x a week, so she can have some other doggie interaction. I run home at lunch to walk her, then after work I take her for a nice long walk on the days she is not at daycare. She came from a foster home with other dogs and a cat, and a foster "mom" who worked at home. They had no issues with her. Any ideas? I am starting to feel so guilty-guilty that she is crated for so many hours during the days she is not at daycare. Guilty that she does not have doggie companions to hang with at home. Feel bad that she has no one but me that she feels comfortable with (although the others have tried!) Feel bad that she is destroying my family members stuff, and she keeps peeing on the fairly new carpet that my daughter and son-in-law bought (and they have little money to pay for things like this). Am wondering if she would be happier in a different environment.

Any ideas or suggestions or tips would be appreciated!

Hello! Two months is nothing! I think she just needs some time.She may be feeling overwhelmed with so much activity. Remember, this is all so very new to her, It might be a good idea if you let her come to you and your family members on her terms, when she is ready to. Try to stay relaxed and she will come out and socialize when she is ready. I bet that the peeing will stop once she relaxes. Remember though, for her to be able to relax, you and your family have to be relaxed around her,also. Additionally, your family really should take responsibility for keeping stuff where she can't get at it. She may end up something that will harm her.

Relax, give it a little while, then re-assess.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest ennyl

Hello! Two months is nothing! I think she just needs some time.She may be feeling overwhelmed with so much activity. Remember, this is all so very new to her, It might be a good idea if you let her come to you and your family members on her terms, when she is ready to. Try to stay relaxed and she will come out and socialize when she is ready. I bet that the peeing will stop once she relaxes. Remember though, for her to be able to relax, you and your family have to be relaxed around her,also. Additionally, your family really should take responsibility for keeping stuff where she can't get at it. She may end up something that will harm her.

Relax, give it a little while, then re-assess.

Thank you : ) Yes, we don't try to force the issue with her and other family members. They have learned mainly to "ignore" her and that is when she will come up and sniff them. And generally, the kids do really try to remember to keep things off of the floor or where she cannot get them-but they are kids! I have gone back to crate training 101 to see if this will help the peeing issues. Unfortunately I don't have a fenced in yard, and live in a "community" where the management will not allow me to put up a fence. I just often feel bad that she is in her crate so much, despite the fact that I know they are used to them. I will continue to try to give it time and just work with her. I know it can take a really long time for them to adjust. Was just mainly concerned with the peeing in house issue-the prior foster mom never had a problem with that at all.

You might also trying keeping her attached to you when you are home. Someone on GT sells a leash that you can clip around your waist (aroundthehounds maybe???) that works very well. Just might help with the peeing issue. I have done this with some of my fosters and it worked very well. Do your other family members interact with her at all, like feeding, walking, giving treats? Have you kept in touch with her foster mom or any of the adoption group members? I know they are more than willing to help out. Don't be afraid to ask them. Celeste is a bit shy but a total sweetheart! Don't give up on her, she just needs some time. Your household sounds very busy, so she is probably very overwhelmed. And yes, what RobinW said about getting into something harmful. I know it is hard to police everything (BTDT) but if she is getting into the wrong things, I would work on LEAVE IT right away. Then give her something she CAN have, toy, treat, chew bone. It's frustrating, we all know, but hang in there. It does get better and in a little while you will see her change. Keep us updated!

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest HHHounds

I have 3 kids and we have had at least 2 hounds in our home since the kids were little. The loss of some favorite things left on the ground were hard lessons. Have you tried restricting her area where she can be watched more carefully? Some owners have used baby gates successfully. We kept an eye on each the hounds for the first couple of months and closed doors or crated them when we were not present or able to watch closely.

Is she peeing in the same spot or spots? She might be a marker. My female loves to pee after my male hounds so she is the last one there.

I am sorry that I do not have much advice to offer, but I am sure that more owners will chime in soon! Best of luck!

If your schedule hasn't changed and she wasn't peeing before, it would be worth taking a urine sample to your vet to check for infection. No amount of training will help if she is ill, and it is impossible to tell from behavior whether they have an infection or not.

If she doesn't have an infection, it could just be extra activity in the home leads to excitement/anxiety, which leads to a need to go out more often.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ennyl

You might also trying keeping her attached to you when you are home. Someone on GT sells a leash that you can clip around your waist (aroundthehounds maybe???) that works very well. Just might help with the peeing issue. I have done this with some of my fosters and it worked very well. Do your other family members interact with her at all, like feeding, walking, giving treats? Have you kept in touch with her foster mom or any of the adoption group members? I know they are more than willing to help out. Don't be afraid to ask them. Celeste is a bit shy but a total sweetheart! Don't give up on her, she just needs some time. Your household sounds very busy, so she is probably very overwhelmed. And yes, what RobinW said about getting into something harmful. I know it is hard to police everything (BTDT) but if she is getting into the wrong things, I would work on LEAVE IT right away. Then give her something she CAN have, toy, treat, chew bone. It's frustrating, we all know, but hang in there. It does get better and in a little while you will see her change. Keep us updated!

We have tried it different ways with other family members; ignoring her, walking by and giving treats, walking her with me (youngest grandson)but, thus far, to no avail. I had contacted the prior foster mom the first time we had the issue of peeing/pooping, but it turned out Celeste just had an upset tummy that day. Now it seems the peeing is an issue, and that is what I am most concerned about. Although I have cleaned the area she has peed in, with enzymatic cleaner, that is the are she went back to. My daughter and son-in-law had that carpet recently installed, and they don't have a lot of extra money for big expenses like that. They have been very patient and understanding about it, but it is not something I can let happen again. Celeste does do well on leave it when I catch her with inappropriate items but she is so quick to grab things she shouldn't I don't always see her. I bought a Deer Antler (naturally shed) for her but she doesn't pay attention to it-the bully sticks she goes thru in about 3 seconds, and they are rather expensive. I used to give former dogs rawhide, but have heard so many negatives about them am no longer sure if I should give them to her. I do think that if she is more occupied with her mouth with things she can have then perhaps she won't chew things she should not have as much. I get frustrated with the fact that is seems there is so little time in the day to work on these things with her....she wasn't like this at first, at least she did spend her time in her crate with the door open, in my bedroom. Now that she follows me about from room to room, these issues have started. She generally is with me, but it just has taken a split second for my eye to be off her and she has done something that she should not. Guess I may have to try the leash tied to the belt loop thing. What makes it more difficult is when she gets spooky when others in the family get in her "space" - then she freaks out to break away back to her crate.

you can buy a Kong, stuff it with peanut butter and treats, then freeze it before giving it to her. they love those! it keeps them occupied, it's a bit of a challenge getting the peanut butter and it lasts forever.

What would you like to do about Celeste?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

May I suggest you contact Melissa from our group? She can give you a lot of help and ideas. She is Bean_Scotch on GT or you can get her through the Allies yahoo group.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest ennyl

May I suggest you contact Melissa from our group? She can give you a lot of help and ideas. She is Bean_Scotch on GT or you can get her through the Allies yahoo group.

Guest ennyl

Thank you all for your great ideas, suggestions and support. I agree on the urine test for possible UTI. I want to do what is the very best for Celeste, and have felt sometimes frustrated with myself, that I have less time and resources available due to work and family demands, and often wonder if ours IS the best environment for her. Is it a question of making the dog fit into the environment, or finding the best environment to fit the temperment of the dog.

That's the thing about our dogs...sometimes it takes month and month for them to get used to their new home. They keep changing and adapting. Patience :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Robin is right. Some hounds take months and months to adjust. For now I'd have her checked for a UTI. If that comes back negative then I would take her for more walks in the evening if you have the time. I'd let the kids give her little treats and rewards, if she will come to them. Every little treat is exposing her to them in a calm manner. Maybe if one of the kids wants to walk with you when you take her out for a walk. Any time she spends with them helps to form a bond with them. Once she's bonded to the family members, you may find things improve. As for the stuff on the floor and down where she can get it, the kids are old enough to remember to remove their items and put them in their rooms. They're not toddlers. In my home I had problems with my husband and my son and I finally just looked at both of them and said if they leave it down and the dogs get it, their loss. As long as I kept picking things up they didn't take responsibility for it. Tough love I guess.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

As others have said, two months isn't a long time - and she just may be a bit overwhelmed by the activity.

Judy is correct on the stuff on the floor. My husband repeatedly leaves shoes and JJ repeatedly eats them (not to mention a watchband, one of his brother EZ's extra collars, etc. etc.). I muzzle when they are home alone so that he doesn't eat anything dangerous - but the crate solves that for you. We do not use a crate - but use baby gates for areas we don't want them to go - primarily so the cat can escape.:rolleyes: But remember - your hound spend hours and hours in the crate on the track - so she probably doesn't see it as a horrible situation.

Hang in there!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Bean_Scotch

Hello! Celeste(fostr_mom on GT) alerted me to your post. I'll echo what others have said 2 months is NOTHING!

1.) Give her some time.

2.) Consider taking her to an obedience class with a greyhound-savvy trainer. If anything it will be time for you, her and the other family members to bond with her if they are training her. or consider doing it yourself as well.

3.) You where given a MUZZLE when you adopted through Allies. She's been wearing a muzzle since she's worn a collar. It's not cruel or inhumane. If she's eating inappropriate items. Muzzle her when you can't watch her.

4.) Nylabones, Everlasting Treat Balls and Kongs(froze with peanut butter inside) work wonders. You may want to consider giving her one of those.

5.) Take her out to the M&G's once in a while. Socialize her with other greys. You'll be amazed at how much this can help her in the long run.

6.) If you can't watcher her-leash her to you. The lead slip-knotted through your belt loop will allow you to have a hands free approach with her by your side.

2 months is no where near enough time for a grey to adjust. My 11th foster(JNJ Jingles)...2 months into fostering her was still biting/snapping at me every chance she got. Phantom a spook would barely let me touch him 2 months into fostering him. almost a year later he's happy in his forever home and loves attention! I'm fostering Whimpy right now-another spook-2 weeks into him I still can barely get near him and he's just now started taking food from me. Patience and love go a long way toward getting a 'good dog'.

Guest june

Everyone has given terrific suggestions and I get the sense you are feeling overwhelmed right now. I've been there and sometimes you have to just take a step back and take a deep breath. You're right, you do have a busy household and I'm sure it makes things hard for Celeste and for you.

Maybe the two of you could become buddies getting away from the chaos together? When you come home from work can you take some time for just the two of you? Time for you to relax after a stressful day at work and for Celest to have some quiet one on one time just with you to get to know you better. Is there a park near by where you can sit on a bench and just talk to her about your day and pet her? As she becomes more secure with you she will begin feel more confident with the others.

Be sure to check for a UTI as that often is the cause of "accidents."

Wishing both of you some peace in your stress filled lives.

june

If you've said how old she is, I missed it. It could be a relevant issue for Celeste. Younger dogs tend to be more mouthy - just like little kids, everything goes into their mouth. Having her wear her muzzle will help. Also, I would urge you to try and get her more exercise in the morning rather than at night. A tired dog will sleep all day in her crate. I would not leave her alone with rawhide chews. A kong is much safer.

I'm of two minds about the issue of whether she's in the right environment or not. Only you can say that. It's clear that she has issues with her situation now. How much more can you or will you be able to change that environment?? The others are correct when they say two months is not a long time, espcially for a more anxious dog. She will get better. But as long as her problems are behavioral and not medical, it will take time, patience and a lot of hard work on your part to help her.

The first thing to do is get her health checked. Then sit down and have a heart-to-heart with yourself - and preferrably others members of the household - to see whether you have the commitment to help her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Bean_Scotch

Also, Allies has a Yahoo Group for their adopters as well. You may want to consider posting on there! If you need an invite, let one of us know!

Guest ennyl

Once again, thank you all for your support - it is so nice to have others to talk with/get advice from. I would say that Celeste has done an amazing job of adapting to our home, aside from the peeing issue. The chewing thing is no big deal to me. I remain vigilant and the kids really do try and are getting better each day on remembering to keep stuff picked up. I have talked with some folks from the adoption agency as well. I have noted that 2x she has gone on the carpet in house have been when there has been company over. Once time my grandsons had another boy spend the night (and they got a little loud, as boys do). Another time had been right after we had company over. Not that she does it when company is there, she is usually glued to my side or having her quiet time in her crate (which is in my bedroom, away from commotion), but after they left, in the living room in front of the tv, then the next morning again in the living room. So is may be related to that-I will need to play closer attention to the timing, as I don't recollect the circumstances the other times. Yesterday she was fine- I was on the phone talking to a Grey foster mom. I was home alone at the time- Celesteh came into the room where I was, which is where she had peed 2x, sniffed a little and wandered out. She definitely has some issues with boys/men -is much more fearful/skittish around them than women, this may be a clue as to why she has been peeing in house. I know she would do better with another dog in the house-she is much more relaxed when she has been around other greys (I have taken her, and will continue to take her to-Meet & Greets). She takes her cues from them and is much more relaxed. I take her to a Dog Daycare 2x/week so she can at least have that much time to relax around canine companions. I wish I could do that daily but that is not in the budget. Nor is getting another dog

I think sometimes it is very frustrating when you don't know the cause of the issue. :dunno If I can pinpoint that, then I can know what steps to take to help her. Overall, I think she has done amazingly well...no separation anxiety, not destructive in a big way, no barking, no aggression, is definitely comfortable with me...

Once again, thanks to all!

Problems like this can be frustrating. A lot of us have been there, but with time and patience they usually work themselves out.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest momofevie

While you've already received great advice from others to help you through this difficult time with Celeste, is it possible that she needs a calmer, quieter home?

Guest ennyl

That is one of the issues I have been wrestling with. I want what is best for Celeste, that much I know. Is it in her best interests to have her placed elsewhere or to try to help her get through this and adapt to those things that are stressing her now. :unsure I have a vet appt. on Friday to rule out any physical issues, and will also have a talk with the vet on ideas. I don't think there is a physical cause as the peeing in house is sporadic. If it were a physical problem, I should think that it would be more constant. But...if a physical cause is ruled out, then it is time to look more at the behavioral aspect, and can that be somehow changed...possibly with anti-anxiety meds. Is the solution to medicate her to calm anxiety if that is the root cause, or to uproot her again and have her go back to foster family (who, by all accounts had other dogs and a more quiet environment) and have them find a home for her that she is more comfortable in. And, am I being selfish in wanting to keep her because I have gotten very attached to her and would miss her if I let her go, if that is not in her best interests.

I want to try every possible thing that I am capable of to work through this with her. At this point my course of action is to just continue doing what I have been doing. If she does pee again in the house I will note if it is after we have had company of any sort over, or what the situation was. I don't always notice the commotion and the noise and the comings and goings because I am used to it - but I will pay more attention now, give it more time. If I try everything I can think of, and the behavior still persists or gets worse,(summer is coming up soon-kids will be out of school, house will be more noisy,active with kids in and out more with their friends, generally more company over, etc.) I would have to rethink.

Anti-anxiety meds aren't a cure-all. You will still need to work diligently with her on modifying and adapting her behavior. Meds only put her mind in a chemically balanced and calm state so that training can actually make an impact.

With an anxious dog, you have to train yourself to be as hyper-vigilant as she is. This helps you understand the world she sees/hears and helps you anticipate her triggers so you can remove her or remove the trigger before she becomes anxious. Sometimes the things that set her off will be soooooooo small - a far off sound, or a faint sound close by, a branch moving, a particular creak in the house, the microwave running, the toilet flushing - watch her very carefully and you can figure it out. You can't protect her from everything - and you shouldn't - but watching her can give you clues about how to go forward with behavior modification.

More exercise will likely help her too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest ennyl

Anti-anxiety meds aren't a cure-all. You will still need to work diligently with her on modifying and adapting her behavior. Meds only put her mind in a chemically balanced and calm state so that training can actually make an impact.

With an anxious dog, you have to train yourself to be as hyper-vigilant as she is. This helps you understand the world she sees/hears and helps you anticipate her triggers so you can remove her or remove the trigger before she becomes anxious. Sometimes the things that set her off will be soooooooo small - a far off sound, or a faint sound close by, a branch moving, a particular creak in the house, the microwave running, the toilet flushing - watch her very carefully and you can figure it out. You can't protect her from everything - and you shouldn't - but watching her can give you clues about how to go forward with behavior modification.

More exercise will likely help her too.

Thank you for the insight/suggestions : ) If what is causing her anxiety/peeing issues - the "trigger" is the nature of our home life, I cannot really change that. I can't tell my daughter, son-in-law, grandkids that they cannot have company over. I can't get rid of my grandsons and son-in-law because they are males and it make her anxious...

It is available for her to go in her crate, which is what she generally does. And it is in my bedroom, the only place I can have her crate, but not completely away from the household noise. I do give her as much exercise as I am able to. At least an hour walk each day (15 min am, 15 minutes noon, 1/2 hr. to 45 min. pm except for these last really hot/humid days in MI-currently we have an air warning-1st time I have ever seen that!) and twice a week she goes to a dog daycare where she can run around with lots of other dogs (which she loves). On weekends she goes with me when I run errands, we go for extra long walks on wooded trails, or-if I can afford it-we stop at a dog park.

I work full time and have to pitch in much at home to help out-with trucking the kids around to their various sports, with housework, etc. Not that I am required to do so, but my son-in-law works nights and has to sleep during the day and my daughter works full time as well. Not much different from lots of folks, but it does limit the amount of time I actually have to work with these issues.

If I choose the anti-anxiety meds route, I am hoping that it would calm her enough to be in the situations a little more, so she can then learn that it is not so very scary. We have been working on adapting her slowly to being around others, even in our home. She will follow me all around, unless other family members are present-especially the males, then she will find a way to go around them to get back to her safe place-the crate. She can be around them a little now, if they completely ignore her. When they ignore her, she has even gone so far, sometimes, to creep up behind them and sniff : ) If we force it,(i.e. if THEY pay attention to her, offer her a treat, etc.) she immediately gets very anxious and escapes to her crate. On a few occasions where she was "trapped" in a room by other family members (i.e. they were blocking the doors) she will back into the furthest corner, wait until she has an escape route, then beeline to her crate. I never want to force her interaction, as it only reinforces her fears, but to gradually get her to that point where she sees that there is no reason to be afraid.

Guest momofevie

Hoping you find a solution that works for all of you. Don't hesitate to contact your adoption group; they sound like they're willing to help you through this difficult transition period. :colgate